Infographic - IJN No.1 Class Fast Transports

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

ChuckBerger

Infographic - IJN No.1 Class Fast Transports

Post by ChuckBerger »

Hi all - I've done another little infographic, summarising the life and times (and quick ending, for the most part) of the Japanese No.1 class fast transports. It's a class of ships that has increasingly fascinated me. They could have made such a difference had the IJN built them 2 years earlier, in time for Guadalcanal...

Enjoy. If you like this one, have a look at my my "Weserubung" graphic in Warspite's AAR over in TOE4 forums tm.asp?m=4476499

I'm open to suggestions on what to do next.

(Also, if I started doing these on Patreon, would anybody support me? Are they worth say $1 apiece to people?)

Attachments
No1class..ographic.jpg
No1class..ographic.jpg (393.06 KiB) Viewed 328 times
jdsrae

RE: Infographic - IJN No.1 Class Fast Transports

Post by jdsrae »

Nice one. T9 was a lucky little ship
Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Super nice![&o]
dave sindel

Post by dave sindel »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Super nice![&o]

+1
pbiggar

Post by pbiggar »

This is a very nice piece of work. How long did it take to make?
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Interesting, I like it :)
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

Seems ahead of their time. Very interesting.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: ChuckBerger

Hi all - I've done another little infographic, summarising the life and times (and quick ending, for the most part) of the Japanese No.1 class fast transports. It's a class of ships that has increasingly fascinated me. They could have made such a difference had the IJN built them 2 years earlier, in time for Guadalcanal...

Enjoy. If you like this one, have a look at my my "Weserubung" graphic in Warspite's AAR over in TOE4 forums tm.asp?m=4476499

I'm open to suggestions on what to do next.

(Also, if I started doing these on Patreon, would anybody support me? Are they worth say $1 apiece to people?)

Very nice work on a little known class of ship! I would certainly be open to paying the 1$ for similar work.
As for battle charts similar to your Weserubung one, do you dare tackle Leyte Gulf? [X(][:D]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
ChuckBerger

Post by ChuckBerger »

jdsrae: yep, T.9 is one of my new favorite ships of the war. She's one of the very few ships that were in the TA operations that ever saw Japan again, and to survive a dozen missions to the Bonins in 1945 is just astonishing. She did get worked over twice by aircraft with heavy casualties, though, so a fair chunk of her crew might not consider her all that lucky.

pbiggar: depends what you count! I used some graphical assets developed for other infographics. The more I do the better and faster these get. I reckon I spent about 5-7 hours focused work on this one, not including idle browsing and general reading...

LeeChard: yes, definitely a bit ahead of its time, like so many Japanese innovations during the war.

BBfanboy: funny you should mention Leyte Gulf! I've spent a lot of time trying to work out how to portray this battle in a new and interesting way. I think it's interesting to situate Leyte as part of a broader Philippine naval campaign, lasting roughly 5 months from the start of September 1944 thorough January 1945. That encompasses not just Leyte Gulf battle proper, but the extensive IJN losses in pre-invasion carrier strikes, plus the costly TA operations and further strikes on Manila etc. It's this broader 4- to 5-month campaign that really breaks the back of Japanese naval power, not just the Leyte Gulf battle itself. I'll get there with it!

All: thanks, and watch this space. I might revise my earlier graphics and really flesh them out in this manner. Or maybe continue doing my charts-in-progress mapping the careers of IJN subs and Italian subs.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

The colour picture at the bottom left shows what looks like a large hole on the side of the ship just behind the bridge - looks like it extends from main deck to upper deck. Any explanation for this in your source material? T-9 after a bomb hit maybe?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

To me it looks like some upperstructure platform which protrudes over the side of the ship and draws a shadow on the side of the hull.
ChuckBerger

Post by ChuckBerger »

It's a ship's boat hanging over the side & casting a shadow. Hard to see at that resolution - here's the original full res: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-l9N6 ... 638512.jpg

The ship is T.5, and the photo was taken during testing of Type 3 midget subs during August 1944.

Reminds me, I really need to do captions & citations for these graphics.

There's a great compilation of stuff about these transports here: https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/ ... ransports/

My source info for the graphic was that site, plus of course the TROMs posted at Combined Fleet, and a few bits and pieces from elsewhere on the web.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Thanks! I definitely could not have seen that boat in the smaller picture!
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Sixteen of twenty-one lost. Sounds like a U-boat record. Ah, a small ship going in harms' way. Nice post.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

reminds me of my Allied game's Clemson/ 4pipe APDs [:)]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”