Optimal Number of Planes in a Recon AD?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

cfulbright

Optimal Number of Planes in a Recon AD?

Post by cfulbright »

Does anyone have an opinion of how many recon planes to "request" per target? Two parts to my question:

1. If you target area with five U-boat factories in it (e.g., around Hamburg), and assuming you set "Strike Num" to five, what would you set "Req AC" to?
2. If there are multiple factories in a hex, either of the same or different type (e.g., two Fuel factories in a Ruhr hex v. both fuel and oil in a different hex), do you need to set two strikes to get both factories, or will one strike recon either all of the selected factory type in that hex, or both selected factory types?

I ask because in the past I've usually set 4 or even 6 planes per recon strike, and I tend to lose 1-2 planes per turn per AD, which is high attrition. Then I remembered Bombing the Reich, where setting a Recon mission sent only one plane to the target.

Cary
MrBlizzard

RE: Optimal Number of Planes in a Recon AD?

Post by MrBlizzard »

2. Recon is on hex level so one plane should be enough to recon all factories inside it; when you specify factory type for target is used to select which hexes (cities) will be chosen inside your target rectangle for the recon.
Blizzard

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”