Map Making with QGIS

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

Phobosdeimos71

Map Making with QGIS

Post by Phobosdeimos71 »

Hi William,

Thought I would give map making in QGIS another shot. I created the map for the Minden area and successfully loaded the PNG image into Flashpoint Campaigns and saved as a fcrs_minden.fp9 file. However I feel I'm doing something wrong. Some locations on the hex map in FCRS are aligned however some hexagons are not. Can you take a look at my PNG file and let me know how to solve this.
Cheers,
Scott
Attachments
fcrs_minden.zip
(458.08 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
WildCatNL

RE: Map Making with QGIS

Post by WildCatNL »

Hi Scott,
I see two issues:
- top left hex grid doesn't line up with expected grid
- grid scale / map scale is slightly off. Either the grid was created with a different coordinate system than the project (EPSG:32623 aka UTM zone 32N), or the map scale is set incorrectly in the Map Composer (should be 39370). If the grid was created with the wrong coordinate system, delete it and recreate it. If the scale is sent incorrectly, set the correct value.

I suggest addressing the scaling issue first. Shifting the map or grid afterwards is relatively easy to do.

William
William
On Target Simulations LLC
Phobosdeimos71

Post by Phobosdeimos71 »

Thanks William,

I think I will try again, till I get it right. I do have another question though. Once I have completed my map with QGis and submitted it to you to edit in photoshop or a clone of that program such as Gimp. I would like to learn how to do that. May I ask how you learned how to do this. I think the maps in this game are awesome.

Scott
WABAC

Post by WABAC »

Any chance your instructions will be updated to cover QGIS 3.0 (currently at 3.23)? Geosearch and OpenLayers are not available.

SRTM data is not available for most of Norway. While I have found GeoTIFFs for Norway it is not clear to me which of four provided by the Norwegian Mapping Authority to use. Nor am I clear on which CRS to use. Is it the WGS 84/EPSG Norway Polar stereographic, or one of the transverse Mercator NGO Norway series?

Since there is no Geosearch plugin, I'm not quite sure how to zoom in on Bardufoss to even get started playing around. And there don't seem to be a lot of easily digestible tips on the web to get a raw dilettante started in this professional-level application.

I do have a 1958 British War Office map from the Perry-Casteneda collection, so I could always fall back on Hexdraw if QGIS gets too complex. However, the contours leap from sea level to 1500 meters in five steps, which is not ideal.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”