I admit defeat

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

MarcA

I admit defeat

Post by MarcA »

The Windows 10 Falls update killed WitP for me last year.

I have tried every suggestion on the forum and more besides but nothing works. I either have graphic issues or a response time which makes the game impossible to play.

I had hoped matrix might take time to update the game but it that doesn't look likely. So I am waving a white flag and moving on.

I do feel a little disappointed that the best game I have ever owned and one I have spent so much time playing had to end in such a way, but there is no point moaning about it. So it's time to move on and find an alternative.

Can anyone suggest a game of similar epic scope and scale at the divisional/operational level?

Canoerebel

RE: I admit defeat

Post by Canoerebel »

Many players here figured out to play with Windows 10. Heck, I figured it out. If I did it, any living human being can. I'd figure it out rather than moving on.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
MarcA

Post by MarcA »

I have spent about 10 hours on it. I have tried every variation of display settings, command line switches, windowed and non-windowed modes and compatability settings. Maybe there is a way but whatever it is I can't find it.

As I say, I either have graphics glitches or unacceptable delays.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: MarcA

I have spent about 10 hours on it. I have tried every variation of display settings, command line switches, windowed and non-windowed modes and compatability settings. Maybe there is a way but whatever it is I can't find it.

As I say, I either have graphics glitches or unacceptable delays.

I have never heard of a delay problem that can't be solved with the switches. Graphics can be more difficult, but there are real, pro IT guys here who can help if you post your specs. There have been dozens of Win 10 threads, and I don't know of anyone who could not be fixed.

To your other question, there is no commercial PC wargame of similar scope and detail.
The Moose
Dili

Post by Dili »

Do you need Windows 10? i have 10, 7 and Linux Mint and 10 would be the last of those i would choose. Of course with hardware advances only 10 will remain for Windows.
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

-dd_sw fixes the game running very slow I believe. I run the game in win10. Below are my triggers:
-altFont -archive -deepColor -f -px1920 -py1080 -skipVideo -SingleCpuOrders -dd_sw
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
MarcA

Post by MarcA »

For reasons beyond my control I need 10, but a dual boot with Linux may not be beyond possibility.
MarcA

Post by MarcA »

Thanks for that but I have tried it. As I say I have tried just about everything. Where computers are concerned I am not a pro but I am certainly a compotent amateur.

pmelheck1

Post by pmelheck1 »

-deepColor worked for me fixed the long delay issue and it must be spelled exact small d capital C. I and many others run 10 but I wonder if it might be video card. I also have to hide the task bar as it makes the desk top pop at random in the game and messes with the graphics
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Solve this first:
response time

Then this:
graphic issues
As this may have to be solved outside of the game. Graphics driver, settings, etc.

Post pics.
Even the most Computer Pro can overlook the simplest error.

BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

I realize that you have tried a lot. I do not have Windows 10 but 7. I have two shortcuts for each game I play, one that runs in full screen for the combat Replay and one in a windowed mode to input orders.
i have found that switches needed for one are not always the best one for the second one.
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

I forgot to add that this was actually the most important advice for solving my Win 10 issues:
ORIGINAL: pws1225

Just a quick note on my experience upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I had many of the same issues described by other posters in this thread and tried many of the same solutions but still had sluggish performance when I could get the game to run at all. I finally tried running the compatibility mode diagnostic which fixed all my problems.

Here is what I did:
1 - Right click the game icon and select the "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
2 - Select "Troubleshoot program"
3 - Select BOTH the "Program worked in earlier versions of Windows ..." AND the "Program opens but doesn't display correctly" symptoms then click Next
4 - The Troubleshoot Compatibility diagnostic will ask which version of Windows you are upgrading from. I selected Windows 7 then clicked Next.
5 - Test run the game using the button provided by the Troubleshoot Compatibility then exit the game.
6 - Select "Save Settings".

After doing this, the game runs just as it did under Windows 7.

And FWIW, here are the command line switches that I use:
"F:\Matrix Games - Todd PBEM\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -f -px1280 -py1024 -altFont -skipVideo -dd_sw -archive -SingleCpuOrders -deepColor

I hope this helps,
Regards, Paul
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Heck, I figured it out. If I did it, any living human being can. I'd figure it out rather than moving on.

Ditto this. So long as you've got two brain cells to rub together, if CR can do it, you can too.

Seriously-I'm no technophile, but-with the help of the forumites that do this sort of thing-I was able to find the right switches to make Win10 quite stable.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Interrogating Bill Gates

- That kind of reminds me of how I knew Einstein back when I was just a kid, and I would go to his apartment and dude had a green bean bag...
- I wish that was right.
-... and he had this deal where you could also make all the chocolate milk you liked, you know. I can tell you what Einstein would have said about Win10: horse manure pile.
- Umm, that's cool.
- Turd satchel. Remember, those are Einstein's words."
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: MarcA

The Windows 10 Falls update killed WitP for me last year.

I have tried every suggestion on the forum and more besides but nothing works. I either have graphic issues or a response time which makes the game impossible to play.

I had hoped matrix might take time to update the game but it that doesn't look likely. So I am waving a white flag and moving on.

I do feel a little disappointed that the best game I have ever owned and one I have spent so much time playing had to end in such a way, but there is no point moaning about it. So it's time to move on and find an alternative.

Can anyone suggest a game of similar epic scope and scale at the divisional/operational level?
You say WitP, not WitP-AE. There is a big difference in the games. Most switches will not work with the former, older game.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I would highly recommend a dual boot with Linux or a basic linux box...pick your OS -- I have gotten it to run under all of the most popular distros. Fair warning though, currently on new installations the sound is broken (bad link to a part of windows media player). PlayonLinux v5 is being worked on and will most likely solve the problem. The opening animation never worked period (saves you from having to use the skipvideo switch).[;)]

My flavor of choice currently is MX (in the top 10 over the last year).

Anyhow, a big benefit of dual booting is using the internet is a joy again. Lightning fast, no edge, no cortana, no hardly controllable update programs, no 100% disk usage, no 100% cpu usage. I have never had a virus in linux. I know there are workarounds for all that (and I have used them) but why bother?

For $22 you can buy a 120gb SSD, plug her in, install any of the top 10 distros and be back to playing WITP AE. Or you can salvage pretty much any old hard drive you might have laying around.

My thoughts. It would take me about 30 minutes to accomplish this.

Having said all that, I run Windows 10 on 7 machines in the house and there isn't an operating system that can run witp ae faster including Windows 7 which we still run on one laptop. But constant updates can play hell with your performance in the short term as you have experienced.[:(]
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

I'm pretty sure, you can have several versions of WINDOWS on one machine (well, at least you could with XP).

Once I switched from full screen, I had no problem with graphics, and click response time had some weird solution, which had nothing to do with display, or CPU. I think it was actually -multiaudio.

Does anyone tried to run WitPAE in compatibility mode?
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

no 100% cpu usage.

Is solved by defining a power profile within Windows.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Marc,

I don't know how computer savvy you are, but keep in mind that it is possible to select the wrong 'dash' before the switch term. If you do the switch will not apply. I remember reading it here a long time ago, but don't recall the circumstances. Myself, I have no need for switches on my current rig, so I remain ignorant about the best configuration.

If you admit defeat as you say, be prepared to miss out on the most complete, challenging, and frustrating[:D] game in the history of the hobby.

At worst take a step back, then jump in again in a few days. Or see if you can find a knowledgeable friend who might assist you. Maybe even his little brother, or son.[:D] Hey, don't laugh, I have a friend whose kid knows more than the two of us put together. Problem is, now that he moved out its a little difficult to get in touch with the young man.[:D]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Bearcat2

Post by Bearcat2 »

I have Win10, could you post your shortcut?

The shortcut is to the WitP execute file, not the start menu

As an example: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -deepColor -dd_sw

I can get several switches to work; but none work without the switch: -deepColor

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”