Destroyed Bridges Slow Down My Advance!

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
MonsterZero

Destroyed Bridges Slow Down My Advance!

Post by MonsterZero »

How to deal with destroyed bridges to make the rivers faster to cross?

Question: What did Mr. Spock find in the toilet?
Answer: The Captain's log
Oberst_Klink

RE: Destroyed Bridges Slow Down My Advance!

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: MonsterZero

How to deal with destroyed bridges to make the rivers faster to cross?

Check if your got engineers to fix the. For RR bridges you need RR engineers though. What scenario are you playing and did you check out my tutorials out?

Tutorial '41: tm.asp?m=4382552
Tutorial '42: tm.asp?m=4387818
Tutorial '42 - Editor: tm.asp?m=4401098
Tutorial '43: tm.asp?m=4390285
Tutorial '43 - Combat: tm.asp?m=4394374
Tutorial '44: tm.asp?m=4397183
Tutorial '45: tm.asp?m=4412329

Klink, Obesrt
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
MonsterZero

Post by MonsterZero »

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink
What scenario are you playing and did you check out my tutorials out?
Klink, Obesrt

The destruction of Army Group Center AKA Bagration 1944.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink
What scenario are you playing and did you check out my tutorials out?
Klink, Obesrt

The destruction of Army Group Center AKA Bagration 1944.
Well... the Soviets have plenty of Sappers and Ferry Engineers. What side are you playing then?

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

This is just my opinion but it seems bridge blowing is way over simplified in this game. Not every unit is qualified to do that. It should at least have an engineer squad and even at that it should not be able to blow up each and every bridge it comes across. There is a limit to how many explosives an engineer squad can carry. Then you run into the size of bridges. One unit can conceivably blow up every bridge on the Rhine in a short time regardless of whether or not the bridges were wired beforehand. This aspect of TOAW has always played very loose.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

This is just my opinion but it seems bridge blowing is way over simplified in this game. Not every unit is qualified to do that. It should at least have an engineer squad and even at that it should not be able to blow up each and every bridge it comes across. There is a limit to how many explosives an engineer squad can carry. Then you run into the size of bridges. One unit can conceivably blow up every bridge on the Rhine in a short time regardless of whether or not the bridges were wired beforehand. This aspect of TOAW has always played very loose.
I actually second your notion... but what might Onkel Bob or Ralph think about it? As a House Rule, that ain't an issue, but I guess in the actual game the chap is playing General Elmer blows up all bridges...To be frank though... the German AI never blew the Donets bridges in my Kharkov scenario. Perhaps it has something to do with the objectives, e.g. the Germans are supposed to fight and stand on the eastern side, and not even Elmer is so stupid to sever the LOS.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Hey you guys....I think that the idea of having to have engineers to blow bridges has some merit.
How about allowing an engineer unit to split into three pieces which are all able to blow a
medium sized iron bridge. Those bridges that are concrete reinforced with reebar or actual spars
embedded in the concrete would probably need treatment by bombers. But wooden bridges can be
just set on fire, iron bridges would need some pre-blast prep time to wire up all the explosive
charges, which are tactically placed in specific positions in the bridge structure. At least an
hour for a team of two dozen crack engineers that have all the training and equipment they need.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
MonsterZero

Post by MonsterZero »

Thanks for all the feedback everybody. I restarted the scenario and this time I'm repairing all the blown bridges I can find. My forces are doing much better with movement.

BTW, I noticed a regular infantry division has a very high success rate repairing bridges. In contract, a dedicated bridging unit has a very low success rate. I have stacks of bridging unit sitting over a broken bridge and time again failing to repair it.

What's the logic of that? Is it because a full infantry division has more men, so more men can be assigned for the bridge job?

How to use bridging units to bridge rivers? Have them straddle a river so other units can walk over them, like in Panzer General games?
cpt flam

Post by cpt flam »

You can use your engineer units to repair the bridges, even if they fail their attempt they will help other units to cross at lesser cost
for the difference between infantry and engineer, i think that this reflect the number of engineer in the units. Must be verify [&o]
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: cpt flam

You can use your engineer units to repair the bridges, even if they fail their attempt they will help other units to cross at lesser cost
for the difference between infantry and engineer, i think that this reflect the number of engineer in the units. Must be verify [&o]
The Soviet Infantry Corps, have 81 Sapper squads which have engineering capabilities. That explains the higher success rate of repairing.

Klink, Oberst

Attachments
cats.jpg
cats.jpg (249.97 KiB) Viewed 362 times
My Blog & on Twitter.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Thanks for all the feedback everybody. I restarted the scenario and this time I'm repairing all the blown bridges I can find. My forces are doing much better with movement.

BTW, I noticed a regular infantry division has a very high success rate repairing bridges. In contract, a dedicated bridging unit has a very low success rate. I have stacks of bridging unit sitting over a broken bridge and time again failing to repair it.

What's the logic of that? Is it because a full infantry division has more men, so more men can be assigned for the bridge job?

How to use bridging units to bridge rivers? Have them straddle a river so other units can walk over them, like in Panzer General games?

I see no bridging units in Operation Bagration. Are you talking about the RR Repair units? These have no engineering abilities so will not repair bridges, only rail lines. There are no engineer units at all. Each division has 27 engineer squads authorized. I imagine the ones with engineer squads closer to what is authorized can repair bridges quite well.

BTW, take care of your HQ units. They have only one command squad. If that squad is killed you may very well end up with several divisions belonging to that formation unable to move for a bit as there are no replacements.

Also, the armies are marked as corp. The fronts are marked as armies. But some armies are marked as armies. Kind of confusing. This scenario could use a bit of editing and addition of bridging units and engineers. [;)]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

Greetings and thanks for the interest and feedback on DAGC.
Lobster, with regards to unit size indicators (XXXX), we now have more flexibility with TOAW4 I will clean those up. I elected to incorporate bridging and engineer units into the higher headquarters to minimize the number of icons.
I have been reviewing and fine-tuning my Road to Moscow scenarios (8) and adding those to Larry Fulkerson collection of scenarios for the next TOAW4 upgrade. I am presently working on VII Soviet Counteroffensive. VII, like DACG, requires a delicate balance of playable victory conditions. Although playable in all modes, I did playtest with Germans vs PO. DACG is the last on my list, but I will move it up.
Thanks again for the comments and suggestions.
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”