Mareth line question

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

Christolos

Mareth line question

Post by Christolos »

I understand that fortifications have a facing, such that the Mareth line forts, shown in the image below, can have their defensive bonus added to units that are defending from an attack coming from the East but not one coming from the West.

I am in a situation against the AI where US troops are approaching from the West, so I won't be able to use the Mareth line defenses against them, right? My question is, since I can still upgrade the AA defenses of the forts, can a Unit stationed in the fort hexes benefit from the AI defenses regardless from where Air units are flying in from to attack?

Thanks,

C
Attachments
Marethlinequestion.jpg
Marethlinequestion.jpg (95.62 KiB) Viewed 129 times
“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-
Sugar

RE: Mareth line question

Post by Sugar »

In Breakthrough the direction of the fortification was crucial, don't know if that's also the case in SC3; nevertheless it will provide a higher max. entrenchement lvl than without, and as you already noticed a possible upgrade.
Christolos

Post by Christolos »

Thanks Sugar, I hadn't thought about the higher level of entrenchment capability.

Can one of the developers weigh in on whether the direction of the fortification is important? I.e., do fort hex sides have a facing? I would assume they do...

Thanks,

C
“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

They do have a facing but in terms of things like entrenchment and protection from air attack, i.e. with AA upgrades, they will be beneficial no matter the direction of attack.

So enjoy the benefits you can get from the Mareth Line! [:)]
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Christolos

Post by Christolos »

Thanks Bill!

Cheers,

C

-Aristotle-
elxaime

Post by elxaime »

ORIGINAL: BillRunacre

They do have a facing but in terms of things like entrenchment and protection from air attack, i.e. with AA upgrades, they will be beneficial no matter the direction of attack.

So enjoy the benefits you can get from the Mareth Line! [:)]

Interesting. I am wondering then that, when digging fortifications, it makes sense to just have one hex side. They get constructed faster and you get the benefits of higher entrenchment and AA. The question is whether being attacked where you have no facing makes enough of a difference to really matter. Welcome thoughts or answers.
JVJ
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

It certainly does make a difference.
I don't know the technical numbers effect but it is significantly noticeable when the fort hexside gets flanked.
Entrenchment gets eaten away rather (too) quickly in this game considering the unlimited amount of air that can be used on a hex, along with unit swapping to allow large number of land units to attack
and, of course, there is artillery as the colored sprinkles on the ice cream.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
LordOfPants

Post by LordOfPants »

Interesting. I am wondering then that, when digging fortifications, it makes sense to just have one hex side. They get constructed faster and you get the benefits of higher entrenchment and AA. The question is whether being attacked where you have no facing makes enough of a difference to really matter. Welcome thoughts or answers.

Building forts with one side takes as long as two sides (unless it changed in a patch), so making just one hex side doesn't actually make sense to do. If you're going to put in the effort to make a line of forts, most of them need 2 sides, and the occasional extra turn to cover a 'corner' with three sides isn't a big deal.

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”