France Cobra 1944 breaks and I didn't do it

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
fastfrank

France Cobra 1944 breaks and I didn't do it

Post by fastfrank »

Ran France Cobra 44 with AI running both sides, alternating both sides to save file before transfer of control. Crashes & vanishes on turn 10, round 5 or 6 last 6+ times, every time. Previously reinstalled Toaw IV and patch as admin via defaults, ran as admin, reran with compatibility mode for win 8, win7, win XP SP3 - all blew up. Monitored resource usage via Task Manager; peak memory usage, CPU, GPU 8%, 6%, 25%. Don't know what I can check next, really need someone with access to source code etc. to debug and fix. Really can't run a campaign when real contest is to achieve victory before TOAW implodes. Files attached.
Attachments
Cobracrash10west.zip
(501.69 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
former sailor

RE: France Cobra 1944 breaks and I didn't do it

Post by former sailor »

Had very similar experience running DNO scenario in PBEM+. Only made to turn 5 before we had to abandon the game due to crashes. Not sure TOAW IV is really ready for prime time. Time for some response from the developers.
fastfrank

Post by fastfrank »

When I read these threads, I don't see any responses from Matrix staff, only inputs from fellow gamers. When it's a procedural error or a clarification of a setup, that's very useful. But when it's a fatal bug in the game, that's like on-lookers telling a would-be driver why his car won't start, Even if they're right, the car still won't start. Twice in my life I was responsible for immediate intervention to fix a program error and avoid wasting several hours of a batch job that was hung plus the time to declassify the computer. Without at least the source code listing and tools like trace or current memory readout that would have been impossible. Does anyone know if Matrix technical staff are reading these problem reports and identifying the faults? If yes, any indication of plans to release a patch to fix discovered errors? Would not be surprised if some of the gamers out there are skilled enough to isolate a defect and engineer a fix, but that would violate the EULA. So, are we out of warranty and stuck with what we bought?
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

I just finished running a PO vs. PO test of France 1944 Cobra and it ran to completion (turn 22). Of course, I'm using a TOAW IV version that no one else has yet.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
fastfrank

Post by fastfrank »

Very illuminating, so there is work underway and a cause for hope. Did Cobra die with the release version? I would be happy to repeat that test on my PC.
fastfrank

Post by fastfrank »

If there is a plan to update TOAW IV, and IF there is an opportunity to enhance as well as bug fixes, I made some doodles on what I would recommend as a high-value improvement. I think the current air assistant is disconnected from the commander's intentions. I mocked up a draft screen, proposed buttons in tan, comments in blue. No idea how compatible this is with the existing air assistant code but would suggest that this as an input at the operational level would make the air assistant functionality simple (basically assigning squadrons to missions) and would permit commanding the air units at the operational vice tactical level.
fastfrank

Post by fastfrank »

Don't see the attachment, trying again
Attachments
allocation.zip
(10.74 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Szilard

Post by Szilard »

ORIGINAL: fastfrank

Very illuminating, so there is work underway and a cause for hope. Did Cobra die with the release version? I would be happy to repeat that test on my PC.

Works ok for the release version with me, just letting it run AI vs AI until completion.
fastfrank

Post by fastfrank »

Did you see my 2 posts subsequent to your msg re Cobra? They were intended to be a reply to you but ended up being a reply to me....
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Does the game crash when playing it human vs computer or human vs human? Does it crash when not saving after each sides turn? Have you tried doing this with a scenario that has fewer units than either scenario you refer to?

The 'staff' you refer to is one guy who has more to do than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest and a guy (aka Mr. Lemay) who gives the 'staff' as much help as he is capable of giving.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
fastfrank

Post by fastfrank »

Good questions. Thx
Guess I need a better test plan to either prove what does work and/or isolate what variation results in a crash. I've made a clean install of 4.0 and patch, installed 4.1, ran Cobra just AI vs AI, it crashed in turn 14 or 15 after a save for the night. Now will start again AI vs AI with no saves but will pause the AI for the night. Next would try with saves, exit program, restart Win, run from save. Even that would isolate close to the crash. Then I'll try another scenario and watch for any similar results. Any suggestions welcome. Don't see point of starting a bug report until I can best isolate conditions just before the crash....
fastfrank

Post by fastfrank »

Missed part of your question. German side was run by AI via Play/Computer player/German. Allied side was initially run by me; once I broke through at Avranches, I only set objectives and operational orders for the US & FR armor and let the AI move units
and set up combats, which I reviewed/sometimes cancelled for adverse combat ratios. I moved the UK armour divs manually during my break through in the East, then made the same use of the AI for the UK armour except kept manual control of the 6 heavy brigades sitting with Montgomery's HQ. After reduction of the enveloped German forces, I used the AI also for all Allied div except RR repair

Return to “Tech Support”