Subs and supply

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

magic87966

Subs and supply

Post by magic87966 »

The lone Soviet sub in the Baltic is at zero supply and has no friendly ports with which to resupply. But it is still causing losses on the German/Finnish convoy supply line. How is this possible? I thought subs at zero supply couldn't fire. Thanks.
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake we must not interrupt him too soon."

Horatio Nelson
DeriKuk

RE: Subs and supply

Post by DeriKuk »

It must be ramming its targets with energetic rowing, and then boarding with hooks and cutlasses. Aaaargghhh! [:D]
Zuxius

Post by Zuxius »

It may not be the sub. Their Medium Bombers or Maritime Bombers also cause havoc, perhaps. Otherwise, BUG!
PvtBenjamin

Post by PvtBenjamin »

ORIGINAL: magic87966

The lone Soviet sub in the Baltic is at zero supply and has no friendly ports with which to resupply. But it is still causing losses on the German/Finnish convoy supply line. How is this possible? I thought subs at zero supply couldn't fire. Thanks.

Magic you have hit on probably the largest flaw in the game- Zero Supply subs & Troops. I wrote a thread a month ago discussing the zero supply sub issue. They continue to block supply, dive and defend themselves without supply into perpetuity. This is ridiculous.

Ground troops have a similar issue, zero supply troops continue to move, block supply and defend themselves after being out of supply for years.

I would propose that after two/three turns zero supply troops lose all action points and start attrition even if no troops are next to them. How do troops with no supply move and shoot and block supply for years (in Northern Finland nonetheless)?

Zero supply subs should not be able to dive, block supply defend themselves after a couple turns at zero supply.

In a game that pride's itself on supply this is completely out of character and PBEM players take advantage of it. It greatly reduces the realism of the game.

Thanks for raising the issue.

magic87966

Post by magic87966 »

Thanks for the replies. The convoy losses are not coming from aircraft. It's very frustrating because I sent the Kriegsmarine destroyers to the Atlantic early with the rest of the surface fleet and they were ultimately hunted down and destroyed. I had hopes the German destroyer that arrived in April '42 would take care of the Soviet sub, but the sub has 3 battle stars and the destroyer can't touch it.

What's more frustrating with submarines is the ability to be "surprised" and decimated when they are submerged. I had a UK Carrier that I knew was in a port in Cyprus. I move my submerged Italian sub up to attack it in port. When contact was made, the sub was "surprised" and took 3 hits and then of course was unable to attack. I can see possibly being surprised by Destroyers with greater ASW, but a ship in port????
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake we must not interrupt him too soon."

Horatio Nelson
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

You need to go after it before it gets those experience pips. That makes it the equivalent (except in dive mechanics) to a level 3 sub.

So presuming you didn't buy any ASW, your Destroyers are going to be nearly hopeless against it. When the rule changed level 0 Destroyers aren't very good against subs. It's a giant pain with UK level 0 DD vs. GE lvl 1 subs.

You'll need to use air power against it now. Hopefully you built the maritime bomber. The other option is to get a MT boat or 2. They are better (though slower) versus subs than destroyers.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

Thanks for the reports and we are looking to make changes for the next game regarding supply and combat, as well as raiding and diving as there are some good points raised here for sure.

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”