Line Of Sight

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
rhinobones

Line Of Sight

Post by rhinobones »

How does TOAW IV handle line of sight target acquisition? Are units still able to perform direct fire through forests, hills and mountains?

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
josant

RE: Line Of Sight

Post by josant »

Unlike indirect fire, in direct fire, a unit can only attack the enemy unit that is next to it,you can not attack a unit that is behind a hexagon with a forest. It does not matter the scale of the hexagons, is a limitation of TOAW engine.
JA
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

During some eras LOS won't make as much difference at certain scales primarily because of effective range of weapons. For instance during the U.S. Civil War virtually everything took place at a few hundred yards. Post WW2 LOS becomes a real problem since many direct fire weapons can hit targets at well over 2 kilometers. WW2 anything under 2 kilometers you will take a hit in realism because of no LOS because many direct fire weapons could hit targets at that range. Of course what terrain the scenario takes place will make a big difference. For instance it's tough to make a D-Day scenario of less than 2.5 kilometers since one part of the map would have close terrain and another part has open terrain. You cannot model anything less then 2.5 kilometers and get an accurate representation of events under those circumstances.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

To make a ground attack, ground units have to be on adjacent hexes.

Therefore I don't understand the question at the top.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: Fred98

To make a ground attack, ground units have to be on adjacent hexes.

Exactly.

Unless using indirect fire. Then LOS wouldn't matter anyway.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

I modeled line-of-sight rules by house rules in my Shiloh 1862 scenario (uses the 0.25km hex scale). But I even had to do that for my Leipzig 1813 scenario as well, and it was at 2.5km.

But, even without house rules, there are some more recent topics that could still use the new lower scales. Pacific Island topics, for example.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Aye. Some of those islands are no more than a sand spit.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”