Can A/C Tarmac Space be complete destoryed ?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

M1A2G

Can A/C Tarmac Space be complete destoryed ?

Post by M1A2G »

I am playing the scenario "Bonus #1 - Reds",then I find that A/C Tarmac Space can only be damaged at 99.7% max.
I can't destory it.And only if you complete destory it can you get the points(I have look the trigger).So I am wondering,it is a bug or it was designed that can't be destoryed just like the runway or the Single-Unit Airfield ? [&:]
kevinkins

RE: Can A/C Tarmac Space be complete destoryed ?

Post by kevinkins »

I can't answer the 99.7% part i.e. if a bug is involved, but it's nice you pointed this out so scenario designers can factored it into their scoring triggers and change destroy to some level of damage.

Kevin
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Open-air air facilities (runways, tarmacs, taxiways etc.) can be wiped out only by nuclear detonations.

Is the physical destruction of the tarmacs the only way to win this scenario?
Saki

Post by Saki »

Is the physical destruction of the tarmacs the only way to win this scenario?
No, it is not. Destroying bridges and infrastructure is the main way players can gain points in Reds. Additionally, very few Chinese aircraft can actually be a major threat to you and thus destroying tarmac space is [in my experience] simply a waste of munitions and time.

Saki~
M1A2G

Post by M1A2G »

Destorying bridges and infrastructure can get a lot points but still not enough for triumph.You need more than 3000 points,but destory a bridge or a infrastructure can only get 10 points.Destorying an A/C Tarmac Space can only get 10 points too but I think it is easy to be attacked(such as Yanji AB,it has 44 A/C Tarmac Spaces and do not have any air defense.)
Destorying land units can get 50 points but it is hard to do.So I think according to what Dimitris said "open-air air facilities (runways, tarmacs, taxiways etc.) can be wiped out only by nuclear detonations",sceranio designers can factored it into their scoring triggers and change destroy to some level of damage.After all the AB was marked as [Target].
M1A2G

Post by M1A2G »

Not the only way but I think it occupies a large part of it(Destorying 3 AB's A/C Tarmac Spaces can get more than 900 points,and it needs more than 3000 points to get triumph.).I also find akin triggers in salvo scenario "Tarmac Destroyed".As you said,players can not get these points forever.
And as kevinkin's advice,scenario designers can factor it into their scoring triggers and change destroy to some level of damage.Could offical add it in the FAQ or others?
Thanks[:D].
stilesw

Post by stilesw »

can be wiped out only by nuclear detonations",sceranio designers can factored it into their scoring triggers and change destroy to some level of damage.

Scenarios can also be designed to actually destroy these sort of base units if some damage threshold is reached:

If %damage to A/C Tarmac Space > x then
ScenEdit_KillUnit({side='SideA',unitname='A/C Tarmac Space'})
end
“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

Usually I strike tarmac spaces not because I care about the tarmac space but because there might be an airplane in it. In that sense I don't care so much what its damage state is. I just care that it's been hit a few times with appropriate ordinance.
M1A2G

Post by M1A2G »

Yeah I often do as the same as you do but in this scenario,destorying/shooting down an aircraft doesn't make any sense and you can't get any points.I think that in this scenario,designer wants you to destory as much facilities as you can.And tarmac space is one of the targets in the target list.
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

Just because you don't get points for it doesn't mean it doesn't make sense!

When I make scenarios for myself (I can't speak for others), there may be lots of things I might want to destroy but I don't get points for. If the mission is to destroy a bridge and it's defended by SAMS and fighters, I might get 100% of the available points by destroying the bridge, none the less I still might attack the SAMS and fighters in support of that goal.

This is actually where the game starts to get interesting. You need to destroy the fighters and SAMs to get to destroy the bridge, but you don't want to RISK them either. How do you make the risk to your aircraft and warships minimal in support of the hitting the things you actually care about? One way is to destroy as many aircraft on the ground as you can, where they can't fight back. That way you have fewer to fight in the air where they can.

ORIGINAL: M1A2G

Yeah I often do as the same as you do but in this scenario,destorying/shooting down an aircraft doesn't make any sense and you can't get any points.I think that in this scenario,designer wants you to destory as much facilities as you can.And tarmac space is one of the targets in the target list.
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Two ships passing in the night on this one. M1A2G's post pointed out many of the available victory points in the scenario he is playing can not be obtained due to the way Command handles A/C Tarmac Space damage without a nuke. (Dimitris: "Open-air air facilities (runways, tarmacs, taxiways etc.) can be wiped out only by nuclear detonations.") While, SeaQuuen makes the very valid point that taking out stuff with no points attached to them often leads to victory. M1A2G observation is specific to a few scenarios where the designer did not know about the 99.7% max thing, while SeaQuuen's is more general across all scenarios.

Kevin
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
BDukes

Post by BDukes »

Destroy air bases ability to generate defensive sorties smart. It lets you hit target easy.

Many scenario use damage trigger with VC if you look

THank!
Don't call it a comeback...

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”