Strat movement

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

RogerJNeilson

Strat movement

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Can someone remind me... if a city hex is contested does that mean that..

1. Units cannot Strat move out of it
or
2. Units cannot Strat move into it

I blame my aged brain.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
Chris21wen

RE: Strat movement

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

Can someone remind me... if a city hex is contested does that mean that..

1. Units cannot Strat move out of it
or
2. Units cannot Strat move into it

I blame my aged brain.

Roger
Can't start. If you own it then it can end.
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

aha right so units can move by strat into reinforce said hex if it is owned by that side, but cannot be moved out by Strat move? I assume that once they arrive they need time to unpack and form into combat ready?

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

aha right so units can move by strat into reinforce said hex if it is owned by that side, but cannot be moved out by Strat move? I assume that once they arrive they need time to unpack and form into combat ready?

Roger

In my current AI game the units detrained the hex outside the 'base', but it was a dot base so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
dasboot1960

Post by dasboot1960 »

It seems odd that they should detrain outside. Only a dot or base can be selected for rail, I believe, were they allied moving by road?
Down like a CLOWN!
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Roger

Yes and if attacked get clobbered.

ORIGINAL: rustysi

In my current AI game the units detrained the hex outside the 'base', but it was a dot base so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

I think they detrain if attacked, is that possible?
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

I seem to recall somewhere that units in Strat move only can use their personal weapons as the rest are all still packed on the train or lorries..... hence they will get rightly clobbered.

Trouble is all of this is hazy memory to me.

Roger
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

The manual is at best vague.....

8.2.1.1 OPERATIONS MODE
Select Operations Mode: Operations Modes (OpMode) include:
» Strategic – The unit is in optimal formation for rapid movement, such as rail or long distance movement by ship, but has its combat value significantly reduced and needs time to pack up for transport. The Allies can utilize Strategic OpMode on rail lines and Main Roads. The Japanese are limited to using Strategic OpMode on rail lines. When Strategic OpMode is selected, the unit will have a Pack/Unpack delay set and the unit will not move until the unit completes packing/unpacking. While in Strategic OpMode a unit
is very vulnerable to damage from ground and air attacks. The unit can be placed out of Strategic OpMode at anytime however it will still suffer the unpack delay before it enters its new mode. Units in Strategic OpMode may only select friendly controlled bases as their Destination hex.

Roger
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Stopping a hex short is an experience vthat has happened to quite a few, including me.

It's been reported by several others. Doesn't happen all the time and I have not garnered what criteria causes it.
Hans

btd64

Post by btd64 »

My observation is a unit will stop at the closest location to its destination....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

This is untested:

A unit that is strategically moving into a controlled, but contested, hex will continue into the hex or unload a hex short depending on enemy activity in the hex.

Has anyone noticed that a unit that is strategically moving into a controlled base hex with no enemy present will unload a hex short of the base if the base is being air-bombed that turn?

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

As I noted, I have witnessed them stopping short but have not identified the cause.

I believe this may be a side effect of a beta change, as I don't recall this ever happening in earlier release versions.
Hans

DConn

Post by DConn »

Totally guessing, but I'm wondering if it relates to change of hexside control. Maybe the path was valid when the move order was given, but before the unit arrived control changed of the hexside the unit was going to move through?
--Dave Conn
Currently defending the free world against montesaurus, DBB-B, Scen. 28
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: DConn

Totally guessing, but I'm wondering if it relates to change of hexside control. Maybe the path was valid when the move order was given, but before the unit arrived control changed of the hexside the unit was going to move through?
Good point. I'm pretty sure the cases I've seen a unit stop one hex short I didn't think to check hex side control. Personally I've only seen that a couple of times so it might be a while before I get another chance to check on it here.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

believe, were they allied moving by road?

Negative, I've only played as Japan as yet.
I think they detrain if attacked, is that possible?

It may be possible, but there was no attack in this case.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

As I noted, I have witnessed them stopping short but have not identified the cause.

I believe this may be a side effect of a beta change, as I don't recall this ever happening in earlier release versions.

In earlier versions I had problems with units detraining when given long trips. Like say from Phnom Penh to somewhere in Malaysia. The unit would often get about half way there and 'bing' no longer on the 'train'. This was corrected some time back.

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: DConn

Thinking about it this could be the case, but not sure. I'll look back and see if I still have the save, but I doubt it. I only save about two weeks continuous then overwrite. I will however do my best to keep this in mind in the future.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”