Updated 30/07/2022: Bottlenecks in the Pacific v1.3b

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Anomander Rake

RE: Mod Update: Bottlenecks in the Pacific 1.1. Release candidate

Post by Anomander Rake »

Hi LST. We are still playing your mod. Now we have end of February 1943.
I understand that some things in mod was changed so maybe many of my comments are no longer valid.
1. A plenty of dot bases good working in China but it is annoying when those deprived of troops pass "for free" to Japan side (and it need garrisons).
2. I'm not sure that is good idea in Burma. I think taht baselines significantly simplify the supply even without roads.
3. I have some problems with ASW weapons in aircrafts. I don't know if this is due to the general weakening of ASW or the reason is similiar to this http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4503597
4. Some aircraft performance is very bad. Oscars, even IIb version are very weak. Sonias also are useless when enemy have even few AA guns. Bombers should be harder. Now a little defence fighter advance gives bombers butchery.
My english isn't very good, sorry for it.
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Hi AR,

thanks for your feedback.

1. All Chinese-owned dot bases in China have a tiny Chinese "Civilian Administration" garrison unit in order to prevent the auto-flipping of dot bases to the Japanese side. All dot bases also have a minimum daily supply of 1 in order to keep the Administrators alive. Don't see where your issues comes from.

2. The dot bases in Burma and elsewhere do have a supply CAP, which in roadless jungle is very low (10 per day IIRC). If the supply CAP is working as I believe it does, supply flow through dot bases should be limited.

3. The version you are using should have only one plane using the dedicated ASW weapon filter and a "depth charge" - the Jake. The "depth charge" is actually a renamed bomb device, so should behave like a regular bomb. Could you please give more details about the problems you face?

4. Oscars have always been weak and I did not even touch their stats at all in my mod. The KI-51 is now a dive bomber with "Attack bomber" ability and armor even for the A model - the plane has been designed as ground attack airplane for both low-level and dive bombing. However, in the game anything lighter than 100kg bombs is pretty ineffective against troops in terrain other than "clear", and no Allied player worth his salt will keep troops in the open as long as Japan has air superiority. Best use for the Ki-51 and similar light bombers is hitting airfields or ports in order to prevent fort construction.
Anomander Rake

Post by Anomander Rake »

Hi LST,
1. Some rear area bases don't have this units.
2. I'm not sure about it. This probably good supply link from Indochina to even India. Maybe resources link too.
3. I don't see any ASW Jake attacks. I saw some Pete attacks but this planes have standard bombs. Games watch reduced ASW bombs (for longer range) to Jake in ASW mode. But in ASW mode planes fly in a short distance.
Is it possible that in ASW mode planes want use bombs from short ditance because they fly in limited range?
4. I know that these problems are longer than the history of your mod. It was just a suggestion to check the possibility of modifying the game and in this field. I suggest that the Allies will also find a few problems to correct. :-)
My english isn't very good, sorry for it.
LargeSlowTarget

Update July 23rd, 2018: Bottlenecks in the Pacific 1.1. Official

Updated to v.1. Official - see first post.
Falken

RE: Update July 23rd, 2018: Bottlenecks in the Pacific 1.1. Official

Post by Falken »

LST,,, Hi.. was looking over your new version. Small question. In the art files WPEH09/10 and 16, there seems to be some odd Notations on the charts. I've read over the word doc, but can't seem to figure out what it means. Things like "Convoy College", "Maru Morgue", and a whole slew of alpha numeric codes.

Is there special meaning to these?

Thanks
Dave...
LargeSlowTarget

The new map files show the designations of the patrol zones of the US submarine force, which had official designations - sometimes alphanumeric, sometimes code names - and unofficial nicknames for the major "hot" areas with lots of contacts - "Convoy College" = the group of patrol areas covering Luzon Strait, "Maru Morgue" = the group of patrol zones covering the area between Kyushu and the Ryukus, "Hit Parade" = the group of patrol zones covering the major HI ports and the waterways leading to the Inland Sea.

It is the AFB or Silent Service / Silent Hunter player in me which prompted me to adopt this map change - JFBs may prefer to stick with the V1.0 map.

Btw, I have found a big mistake - the US Army Air Force groups that went to the CBI are assigned to HQ slot 137 (Kanga Force) instead of slot 135 (Far East US Army Air Force, which renames to 10th Air Force in my mod - General Brereton and personnel from the FEAF escaped via Java to India where he formed the 10th AF). No idea how this has crept in and was overlooked during testing.

It is not a show stopper since both HQ are unrestricted, but it is not pretty and will be corrected in a scenario files update 1.1a soon.

Also noticed another small mistake - ships "President Madison" (slot 10776) and "Kenmore" (10794)are duplicates. Madison escaped from the PI to NY, was acquired by the Navy, converted to a troopship, renamed Kenmore and commissioned in August 1942. In the game a fat-finger mistake in the delay date renders Kenmore available from the start. You may want to correct the delay date of Kenmore to "420805".
Thinking it over, this is not the best solution, because in the game the President Madison may not survive the PI debacle. Too bad - the editor provides renaming options for air groups and LCU, but not for ships... I'll think it over and come up with something better.
Falken

Post by Falken »

Thanks for the reply. Good to know on the map designations. I did not know that. I should have look those terms up earlier, but definitely will now.
And thanks for the quick response on some errata. Will be looking out for the small update.
Falken

Post by Falken »

Hi LST,

I've just noticed that your main file, for the ART folder, the rotating airplane art for JapPlanes42, JapPlanes43, etc (and the same for Allied Planes) are subdirectories of JapPlanes (and again same for Allies)

Is this correct? If yes, wanted to thank you as I think i've been using it wrong for the last few years :).... I currently use Gregory Lind's rotating airplane art files, and based on his image of the directory structure, he has all of the them underneath the ART folder itself.

Can you just, when you have some time, let me know if yours is correct? if so, i'll change my setup for my other game as well.

Been using this for years, and never realized that I've been using this wrong.....

Thanks
LargeSlowTarget

Hi Falken,

to be honest I never paid attention whether the art files in my mod or my PBEM game are actually rotating or not - as long as there is no mismatch between plane type and art I am happy with whatever is being displayed.

Your post has prompted me to verify and yes you are right indeed, the "year" folders should be placed directly in the Art folder and not in the JapPlanes resp. AlliedPlanes folders.

See tm.asp?m=2405660 and the instructions in Michael's download file.

LargeSlowTarget

New version in the works which fixes the errors mentioned above (air group HQ assignment, duplicate ship, rotating art).

Also introduces some more changes, notably weapons filters and bomb sticks, plus some toys like Black Cats and "SB-24 Snooper" aircraft.

Hope to finish before the end of the month.
LargeSlowTarget

v1.2 uploaded and links in first post updated
LargeSlowTarget

RE: Mod Release: Bottlenecks in the Pacific

Found a major glitch in v1.2 which has crept in somehow in the release database - the B-17E is unavailable.

Although it is in the editor, it is not in the in-game plane database, groups equipped with it do not show-up and groups upgrading to the E model show "null" in the upgrade path.

Error turned out to be a durability of 0 - no idea how this happened - which curiously makes that plane disappear from the game - there are many other planes with durability 0 which are showing up in the game...

Have uploaded a new scenario file which fixes the issue:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oalw5tch7coag ... b.zip?dl=0

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Other but minor glitches noticed so far and fixed in the v1.2a update:

- Husimi AD ship class 2226 has no bulk cargo capacity so cannot rearm DDs - I give it a capacity of 1500.
- ship class 3094 Abbekerk has a conversion option which should not be there - "bind" must be deleted
- wrong upgrade paths on ship classes 3095 Felix Roussel, 3096 Cap St Jaques, 3097 Ile de France and 3098 Nieuw Amsterdam - must be 0

Falken

Post by Falken »

Hi LST,

Really minor 2 fixes (no impact to game itself). In the ART folder, rename JDetail0059.bmp to JDetail059.bmp (too many zeros), and the same for NDetail0059.bmp to NDetail059.bmp.

Dave...
Falken

Post by Falken »

HI LST,

One more so far... In the Intelligence section, under Aircraft/Engine Production Pool, you have an engine called "Engine-Unknown".... Not sure if this is by design or just misnamed?

I think it's the Argus but not sure.

Thanks
Dave...
Falken

Post by Falken »

LST,

Although I do use TRACKER, I always use Kull's "Japan Airframe and Engine Planner" spreadsheet for my IJN Engine/Aircraft planning. Just find it really good at keeping the inventory of air industry, but also, I can use it for "what ifs" as i'm planning the next few months.

Anyway, for anyone who is interested, here is the Airframe and Engine Planner spreadsheet for LST's new 1.2a MOD.

Dave...
Attachments
JapanAirf..nnerLST.zip
(85.96 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
LargeSlowTarget

Thx Falken.

So the "unknown engine" has crept in again...[:@]

Last time the cause was an upgrade of a Kate model to an inexisting plane.

I have checked the upgrade paths of all planes in the editor and cannot find any error, all Japanese planes upgrade to an existing plane.

I have also rechecked in the .csv files of a database dump - can find no error in the aircraft file and the device file contains no engine (device type 27) without a name.

I did find and corrected a couple of glitches:

device
239 > upgrade = 0
240 > upgrade = 0

Aircraft
138 > Weapon 10 = 0
252 > weapon 10 = 1852
555 > delete
556 > delete
864 > upgrade = 864

However, the "unknown engine" is still present.

Your hunch that it is the Argus engine - based on the availability date 08/44 of the "unknown engine" which matches the date of the Argus - is wrong unfortunately.

The Argus was the last engine in the device list.

I move the Argus to a higher slot - and now the availability date of the "unknown engine" is the 01/43 - the availability date of the Mamoru which is now the last engine in the list.

I'll continue to dig but any help would be appreciated.
Falken

Post by Falken »

See note below by DOCUP... that might explain why I could not see the engine 1939 - NK7 Ha-36 Mamoru in some of my Tracker screens (attached)

Attachments
Engine List.jpg
Engine List.jpg (321.69 KiB) Viewed 604 times
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

I had the same problem in my mod. Any engine I added came up as unknown on the list. I talked to El Cid, he said that all engine slots are hard coded. You can't add anymore, but can modify the ones present. Hope this helps.
LargeSlowTarget

Bingo! When I delete an engine, the "unknown engine" disappears. So it was the addition of the Ha-36 Mamoru which has caused the issue. Big thanks to DOCUP!

So, I decided to delete the Argus engine, it is only used by the Ka-1 autogyro. The Ka-1 will use the "obsolete engine" instead (which in my mod is used for the "Hitachi (early)" and "Kawasaki (early)" engins. I may rename "obsolete engine" to "low-powered engines".
LargeSlowTarget

v1.2b released which fixes the "unknown engine" issue caused by the addition of the Ha-36 Mamoru engine.

I have decided to keep the Argus engine. Instead, I have eliminated one of the two versions of the Ha-60 engine to free an engine slot.

The Kawasaki version for the Army and the Aichi version for the Navy were the same engine of German origin, for which each company obtained a separate production license.

I see no reason why this should result in a split in two different engine lines, even less so when other engines which were used by both Army and Navy are not split - for example the Ha-35 which powers Oscar and Zero or the Ha-32 used in Sally and Betty.

On this occasion I found and corrected a glitch in the armament of the Ki-61d which had 30mm guns on normal range but 20mm on extended range. In fact the sources I found do not agree on the armament of this model, if someone has definite information please share.

I don't plan any further updates in the foreseeable future, unless other major glitches are being discovered.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”