Nine years and going strong

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lecivius

RE: Nine years and going strong

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: obvert

I played some board games, with Wooden Ships, Iron Men being a favourite.

I loved that game!! [;)]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
oldman45

Post by oldman45 »

It started with PAC WAR on the floppy. Years go buy I find it again and decide to google Gary's name and found this place. UV then WitP and of course AE. It has been a great experience here on the forums.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

I loved that game!! [;)]

Yeah, good game. Still have it, but I'd have to search the house to find it.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

I loved that game!! [;)]

Brings back memories. I loved it as well. My first non-fiction book was Alexander Kent's "Enemy in Sight" when I was 15. I have almost the entire Bolitho collection. I would love to see a rebuild of Talonsoft's Age of Sail with current graphics.
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

ORIGINAL: rustysi

I loved that game!! [;)]

Brings back memories. I loved it as well. My first non-fiction book was Alexander Kent's "Enemy in Sight" when I was 15. I have almost the entire Bolitho collection. I would love to see a rebuild of Talonsoft's Age of Sail with current graphics.

Kent got me into the age of sail as well. I wish there was a good hex based strategy game like WSIM that was complex and had full campaigns.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

There was a WSIM game. It was entertaining for a short time. It had a limited campaign.

Age of Sail was very good. Large number of scenarios and a good campaign. I don't know if it will run on W10. The only drawback is graphics would be quite dated.

There is Naval Action which is online. It has servers that are like single player I guess. I tried it once and gunnery seemed arcade like and ran into a huge game breaking bug my first attempt at playing and never went back.
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

You could do the research and/or just make one up. Use WSIM to portray they battles. Then computerize the strategic part, then computerize the tactical part.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

tarkalak

Post by tarkalak »

The first game about the Pacific I played was Pacific Theater of Operations (PTO) for some ancient console. (I played it on a simulator).

I got into WITP:AE after finding Plan Orange and I don't remember how I found it. :)

I always liked hard games that make you think and never cared for them graphics.
I do not know what is scarier: that I do understand nothing of this demonic script or that I am starting to see the demons that it evokes.

Me, studying for a PHD entry exam in Applied Mathematics.
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

My gaming history started with the next-door neighbor kid having Victory in the Pacific and me having Russian Campaign in junior high. I also played a bit of WSIM in high school. That was a fantastic game. Other oft-played titles of that era included AH's Air Force and Dauntless, its Pacific equivalent, and a few North African games. I'd love to see a good turn-based air-to-air computer game as well as a computer WSIM.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
Deca

Post by Deca »

Stumbled upon Matrix games several years ago & have bought many of their games since then....one of which was WitPAE. If memory serves, I first learned about WitP, but waited for WitPAE to be released.
"In times of war, the Devil makes more room in Hell"
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

My gaming history started with the next-door neighbor kid having Victory in the Pacific and me having Russian Campaign in junior high. I also played a bit of WSIM in high school. That was a fantastic game. Other oft-played titles of that era included AH's Air Force and Dauntless, its Pacific equivalent, and a few North African games. I'd love to see a good turn-based air-to-air computer game as well as a computer WSIM.

Cheers,
CC

I have an old Avalon Hill computer game (yes they made a few before going out of business) titled Over the Reich that was a turn based tactical dog fighting engine. IIRC it was a DOS based game. Might be worth looking for if you could get it intalled and running under a DosBox.

My post in this thread addressed how I came to AE, not how I started in wargaming. First serious wargame was AH's Blitzkrieg and I cut my gaming teeth on Panzerblitz. Wore out three countermixes of Russian Campaign.

But in actuality my wargaming days started with Milton Bradley games my dad got me for Christmas as a kid such as Hit the Beach. Played teh heck out of WSIM also.

Was completely hooked on AH Rise and Decline of the Third Reich and managed to get credit as a playtester of Advanced Third Reich.
Hans

RevRick

Post by RevRick »

Many, many moons ago my oulde gaming buddy brought France '40 over. Then WSIM.. Still have both of them. Then we found an old "Pacific War" Game. That was in the 70's... Things changed - I moved and went to Seminary... and have not found a real gaming buddy up this way. Now, I am retired, and trying to get back in... I guess I will have to find some young'un and teach them WSIM...
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

But in actuality my wargaming days started with Milton Bradley games my dad got me for Christmas as a kid such as Hit the Beach.

Vas es das? [&:]
btd64

Post by btd64 »

My first strategy game was chess. My cousin got me going with chess when I was 7 years old. Then came Panzer Leader and Squad Leader....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

But in actuality my wargaming days started with Milton Bradley games my dad got me for Christmas as a kid such as Hit the Beach.

Vas es das? [&:]

Milton Bradly put out a heritage set of games back in the day. "Hit the Beach" was one of them. I've got the first four that were put out. I'm now waiting for my grandchildren to get a bit older so I will hopefully get them started.

I believe there was a fifth that came out later.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

My first game was PanerBlitz along with Tactics II and Blitzkrieg! All old Avalon Hill titles.
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

I played "Wooden Ships" and Iron Men so much that, with my friends, we devised a full set of house rules to play it together with "Richtofen War" - the WWI biplane simulator. It is incredible to see how our "steampunk" approach worked so well: the two set of rules melded almost perfectly. The Spanish flagship "Santissima Trinidad" was a powerhouse, with her four squadrons of planes of various kind. Those were really the days! [:D]
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: btd64

Pretty incredible how strong AE is after 9 years. How did everyone find there way to AE? For me it was pure luck. I was looking for the newest version of another game from a company that went under and saw the classic WITP. So I scooped it up and the rest is history. Who else has a story to tell?....GP

Like others...I purchased UNCOMMON VALOR...which was the grand-daddy of WITP...then acquired WITP...and since it had an editor, and most of us were history buffs from the beginning...modding the game was just second nature..

Many people added to the game and a decision was made to create an "official-unoffical" mod which would include many of the more popular and accepted mods...which became WITP-AE...

Gosh...we sure miss the old timers from those early days......

AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

How did I get started ---- Maybe it was my dad taking me to the movies when I was 5 years old, and we saw the movie Midway. That next weekend I was putting together a 1/72nd scale Jap Zero. Maybe it was spotting "Flat Top" in a corner of a Target store a few years later. Maybe it was my brother getting "Squad Leader." Maybe it was playing Close Combat and wanting to play flat top on a computer, and low and behold I discovered heaven... in the form of Uncommon Valor...

and that was all she wrote
RevRick

Post by RevRick »

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

I played "Wooden Ships" and Iron Men so much that, with my friends, we devised a full set of house rules to play it together with "Richtofen War" - the WWI biplane simulator. It is incredible to see how our "steampunk" approach worked so well: the two set of rules melded almost perfectly. The Spanish flagship "Santissima Trinidad" was a powerhouse, with her four squadrons of planes of various kind. Those were really the days! [:D]

Yep! Been there! Done that - at least in a wet navy.

Friend of mine and I played WSIM so much that we cobbled together sheets for the Santisima Trinidad, USN 74's, and a notional USN 120 (Basically taking a United States Class, adding a deck, with 2 decks of 42 lbers, one deck of 32 lb guns, and a deck of 32 lb carronades on the main deck. We did not take into account the actual naval construction of the beast (I speculated that it would probably have four masts) and tried to add enough squares in the WSIM hit charts to make it work. We even figured out that the beast would probably end in a tie with the Monitor - because the crew of the monitor would be deaf as posts about a half an hour into the battle.
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”