Gettysburg Scenario for TOAW

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Mark J Langlois

Gettysburg Scenario for TOAW

Post by Mark J Langlois »

Has anyone created or does Matrix have, a scenario for Gettysburg similar to what the old board game "Terrible swift Sword" was like? I found the Killer Angels scenario lacking. A whole 3 day Battle simulation at company or battalion level, spanning the entire battle area would be great.
sPzAbt653

RE: Gettysburg Scenario for TOAW

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I don't see one, maybe we could make one? TSS had a scale of 120 yards across a hex and 20 minute turns with regimental units. TOAW will let us do 270 yards with 1 hour turns. Do you think that would be acceptable?

I could do a map and the oob's, but to get any further would need some experts on the American Civil War and the TSS game to be involved, because I know little on the topic.

It does seem like something that should be done for TOAW. I guess it never was in the past due to the scales available, smallest being 2.5 km hexes and 6 hour turns with TOAW III.
BarelyWargame

Post by BarelyWargame »

There's a Gettysburg scenario on the Rugged Defense website you can convert to TOAW4. I would link it but I have to wait about a week to do so.
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

Very timely. I just finished the Civil War trilogy by Jeff and Michael Shaara.
I highly recommend it and would love a good game.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

There's a Gettysburg scenario on the Rugged Defense website
Ahah! There we go, it is already done ! Thanks [&o]
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Just put Gettysburg v1.1 in the Mods and Scenarios thread. All credit to the creator and poster at Rugged Defense.

Mark J Langlois

I started a map a few weeks ago, (I'm a graphic designer so it comes easy) But I knew it'd be daunting to create the counters so that's why I asked before I continued. I'm a civil War (and Colonial and WW2) reenactor so knowledge of the battle is not the problem, time is.
Mark J Langlois

Do you have a link to it? I'm new on the forum so not too adept at finding things just yet....

-M
Mark J Langlois

I read all three about 10 years ago and have reread Killer Angles about 3 times. I'm a Civil War reenactor and was actually in the fredericksburg battle scenes in the movie adaptation of his first book in the trilogy, Gods and Generals. My unit is the 28th MASS Irish Vols, which actually was in that assault so it was very cool to be in it..... too bad the movie overall sucked. Gettysburg was much better. But I did get to meet Jeff Shaara, Jeff Daniels, C-Tom-H, Kevin Conway and actually hang out with Stephen Lang so it was an awesome experience.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Mark J Langlois

..... too bad the movie overall sucked. Gettysburg was much better.

Have to disagree there. Gods and Generals is one of my favs - better than Gettysburg. Robert Duval was a better Robert E. Lee than Martin Sheen, and Stephen Lang's Stonewall was on a par with George C. Scott's Patton.

I expect that TOAW will need some more features before a decent Gettysburg can be done. But I did make a passable Shiloh. (IMHO).
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Mark J Langlois

Ok, maybe sucked was too harsh.... I do agree the Robert Duval's Lee was excellent and much better than Sheen, and Langs SJ was indeed great but the movie did not do the book justice, it hung on too much of Jacksons Piety and in some ways was overdone. The digital explosion effects where terrible in the Fredricksburg battle.... (Which I was in extensively). I know CGI was in its infancy in 2000 when we filmed it but come'on..... It could've been a much better movie if they had toned down the Jackson stuff and made Jeff Daniels act more like he did in Gettysburg rather than over annunciating every word....we know Chamberlain was an intellectual, but the portrayal was overdone I think.
Maybe I just had higher hopes for the movie because I was in it and had read Shaaras book beforehand. But aside from Sheen and the bad beards, I still liked Gettysburg much more.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”