PBEM PROBLEM

Post bug reports and request support here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

tomeck48

PBEM PROBLEM

Post by tomeck48 »

I upgraded to version 1.11.03 today and am trying to start a PBEM game. The other player sent the first file over. I downloaded it and copied it to the DAT/SAVE folder. When I try to open the new file it's just not there. I can see two old games I played last year but not the new one. Any ideas will be most gratefully accepted.
morvael

RE: PBEM PROBLEM

Post by morvael »

Maybe it isn't a PBEM save?
tomeck48

Post by tomeck48 »

Well, it sure looks like a PBEM file and the other guy seems to know what he's doing.

He asked me to try sending him a new game and I created one (testtrans) which I do see in the PBEM Load Saved Game window. However, it is not in the Dat/Save folder so I have nothing to email him. Maybe something corrupted/missing in the Dat/Save procedure on my machine?

I did play PBEM in both version 1.11.01 and .02 so I know it used to work.

Thanks for your help
morvael

Post by morvael »

Did you install the game in Program Files folder?
morvael

Post by morvael »

Windows does not allow to write in that location anymore, and stores the files in a different place.
morvael

Post by morvael »

tomeck48

Post by tomeck48 »

That's Greek to me. Wouldn't know a program file from a TV program. [&:] As per usual, I went to the site with the link to download the new version and just kept hitting "next" until we were done.

One thing, a while back, I'm not sure why, I deleted a bunch of event logs and old turns from the Dat/Save folder. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Perhaps I blew something up? I think that was before I stopped playing PBEM but I really can't be sure.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Simply put the files are somewhere else than you think they should be. Maybe try to look where the file you created is, by searching for "testtrans" everywhere on your computer.
tomeck48

Post by tomeck48 »

Eureka! [&o]

So it turns out I have a Matrix/GGWITE folder in the Windows folder AND a GGWite folder stuffed in the Desktop folder. Not sure how that happened. Anyway, I was pasting the psv file in the wrong one. Imagine that!

Anyway, thanks again for your help. You've always come through for me.

Return to “Tech Support”