GD1938 v3

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

harley9699

RE: GD1938 v3

Post by harley9699 »

Immediate download for me. Looks Great!
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I think it is time for a small update. Currently I am involved in writing the Manual for the game. I am nearing a point where I can see an end to it, but there is still some way to go. Anyway, I thought it might be good for you to see an excerpt of it.

Remember this is an excerpt. The combat efficiency stats also have modifiers attached to them due to various strategic researches, or disadvantages. So don't go analyzing these numbers in too much depth, just yet.
Attachments
ManualExcerpt.jpg
ManualExcerpt.jpg (231.89 KiB) Viewed 287 times
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
gazfun

Post by gazfun »

Hi Claus
Id like the update of the rules to our Generals Gaming site when it done, if thats ok?
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: gazfun

Id like the update of the rules to our Generals Gaming site when it done, if thats ok?

The plan is to bundle the Manual with the game. That is it will be included as a pdf file, when you download GD1938v3. What you do with this Manual, is entirely up to you. Heck someone might even read it ;)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
gazfun

Post by gazfun »

Yeah yeah they might [:D]
harley9699

Post by harley9699 »

I'd read it. I'm ready for both!
rtoolooze

Post by rtoolooze »

Can't wait to read it! Looking forward to this. Thank you for your hard work!
auto55407

Post by auto55407 »

To All of you that have a hand in this "This Looks Great!"

I don't know if there is going to be a proper christening for this Major Mod but if there is one, where folks get together and try it out let me know.

Take Care, and Thanks A Lot!
Khanti

Post by Khanti »

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

I expect it to be released fairly soon. I am running what I hope to be the final test game. With a little luck it might be very soon :)

Claus,

I've read this thread and I'm impressed. Looks like it will be very ambitious human vs. human experience.
But will it be playable (technically) by the AI besides AI turn could take very long time?
═══
There is no such thing as a historically accurate strategy game. Every game stops being historically accurate from the very first move player do. First unit that moves ahistorically, first battle with non-historical results, mean we ride in unknown.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: Khanti
I expect it to be released fairly soon. I am running what I hope to be the final test game. With a little luck it might be very soon :)
Claus,

I've read this thread and I'm impressed. Looks like it will be very ambitious human vs. human experience.
But will it be playable (technically) by the AI besides AI turn could take very long time?

Initially I tried and it resulted in a crash, so I concluded it was not possible. However Cpdeyoung has tried to play a more recent version against the AI and it was possible. Do note that it is not programmed for the AI, so there are a lot of things it will not understand, and thus the experience will be very subpar...
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

As I play this game I find that I do not know what to do. I finally make a decision, but it is hedged with uncertainty. The broad strategic questions require pondering, and each decision below that level does too. It is a nested doll.

If you, as the Axis, decide to go to war with the Soviet Union, then you must decide Japan's role, which month to begin, your operational weights for each portion of the huge front, your allocation of air resources, and so on. You will never know if your decisions were the best. So many factors determine success that saying "that was a good move, I've found the secret" can be hubris repaid in later choices. It is very hard to weight the AI choices when you don't know how to explain success. At the operational and tactical level there are "best practices", but even here you will find decisions. Should I add one more unit to an attack can be a big decision. This is a player's game.

I have played against the AI, and even had some games that were fun against v.2 GD1938, but v.3 seems to totally confuse the AI and it reverts to ATG worse practices operationally and tactically. You will find it very unsatisfying. This game is a real challenge for the very lucky players who have chosen it. GD1938 v.3 is something special. Take a bite, but don't be surprised to find hook, line, and sinker in that bite.

Chuck
rtoolooze

Post by rtoolooze »

Any word on when it will be released?
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: rtoolooze

I am setting a target date for within a week, but as all things this is subject to change, if something unexpected comes up. Thanks for asking :)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
harley9699

Post by harley9699 »

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

As I play this game I find that I do not know what to do. I finally make a decision, but it is hedged with uncertainty. The broad strategic questions require pondering, and each decision below that level does too. It is a nested doll.

If you, as the Axis, decide to go to war with the Soviet Union, then you must decide Japan's role, which month to begin, your operational weights for each portion of the huge front, your allocation of air resources, and so on. You will never know if your decisions were the best. So many factors determine success that saying "that was a good move, I've found the secret" can be hubris repaid in later choices. It is very hard to weight the AI choices when you don't know how to explain success. At the operational and tactical level there are "best practices", but even here you will find decisions. Should I add one more unit to an attack can be a big decision. This is a player's game.

I have played against the AI, and even had some games that were fun against v.2 GD1938, but v.3 seems to totally confuse the AI and it reverts to ATG worse practices operationally and tactically. You will find it very unsatisfying. This game is a real challenge for the very lucky players who have chosen it. GD1938 v.3 is something special. Take a bite, but don't be surprised to find hook, line, and sinker in that bite.

Chuck

Just sounds like a good wargame to me. [:D] Immediate results from decisions are not always apparent. To me, that's part of the fun.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: rtoolooze
I am setting a target date for within a week, but as all things this is subject to change, if something unexpected comes up. Thanks for asking :)

And something happened. Two weeks, but then it's more of a promise, than a guess.:)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
rtoolooze

Post by rtoolooze »

Of course it did [:D]

That's cool tho. Thanks for the update. We really appreciate what your doing! Can't wait!
AstroBlues

Post by AstroBlues »

Is this Mod still on schedule to be out next week? Any hint on what day?
ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

I'm waiting on it too, brother. I playtested in the middle of development and it was outstanding. So many things have been adjusted and improved... I check the boards like a crack addict looking for his fix, so I feel your pain... Wait and pray!
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Maybe Wednesday :)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

Note the KEY word MAYBE!!!!!!!!!

I am an impatient person but I have to wait like everyone else. Can we start planning on who is playing what nation or group of nations.

If more than 3 players and we play nations I pick JAPAN.

If just 3 players--I really don't care....but I would like to try AXIS.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”