How to get full screen at 1080 X 1920 Win 10 using dxwnd

Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich is a improved and enhanced edition of Talonsoft's older Battle of Britain and Bombing the Reich. This updated version represents the best simulation of the air war over Britain and the strategic bombing campaign over Europe that has ever been made.

Moderators: Joel Billings, harley, warshipbuilder, simovitch

Scotters1

How to get full screen at 1080 X 1920 Win 10 using dxwnd

Post by Scotters1 »

Ok I am using dxwnd in windows 10, I have removed compatibility settings, and I have the windows initial position to X 50, y 50, W 1920 H 1080, but when the game starts it does not take up the full screen, just a good part of the middle. I do not have the "run in window" option selected.

Any ideas to get the game to take up the whole screen?

---edit---
Ok by selecting window mode in dxwnd the game now takes up just about the whole screen. Now I have two other problems. First in the game what ever options I select don't appear to be saved, like trying to select different processor settings, though the game does seem to run pretty well now, so that probably isn't needed.

Second problem is that I cannot exit the game except by ctrl alt delete. I can exit to the menu, and I can minimize the window, but I cannot exit the window,clicking x on the top right does nothing. All I can do is use ctrl alt del and end the task.
simovitch

RE: How to get full screen at 1080 X 1920 Win 10 using dxwnd

Post by simovitch »

You should not have to change much in dxwnd once you set the path to the executable and remove compatibility flags - then toggle off widowed mode and toggle on fullscreen only. If you have a wide screen and try to fill the whole screen the graphics will stretch to fit the screen and it will look funky.

Try deleting your dxwnd profile and recreating it using the nominal settings described above. I've tried messing with the settings a bunch without much results. let me know how it goes.
simovitch

Scotters1

Post by Scotters1 »

I followed your advice simovitch, and I did not have the success that I had hoped, but thank you for the suggestion. I welcome any ideas that you have.

To get full screen I need to toggle windowed mode. But then the game runs real slow. Even when I toggle full screen, and the game only occupies the middle of the screen, it still runs real slow. It keeps pausing as it loads, saying not responding, but it does load eventually. Now I have tried options within the game to change the computer cores, but it never saves the settings, and when I restart the game it always is back to using all cores. Now I have gotten the game to run pretty fast, where it loads up quickly and runs fairly smoothly, without any not responding messages, but it was not full screen, and it was hard to see. Plus now I don't remember what settings I used to get it to run fast, but I do remember it was just using the regular startup menu.

So my ultimate goals is to get the game to run in full screen, and to run fast as it can. I am really hoping for any help here.
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

its probably not so much a CPU issue as it is a directx/gpu issue. Try fiddling with the directx settings in dxwnd or compatibility settings in W10. The game screams in fullscreen mode on my old integrated graphics HP laptop using dxwnd.
simovitch

Scotters1

Post by Scotters1 »

Simovitich,
I have no idea what I'm doing here, so do you know what directx settings I should change? I have a new alienware computer, windows 10, Geforce 1080 gpu, Intel I7 8700 cpu @ 3.20 ghz.
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

I have no panacea that works with all systems unfortunately. Have you tried playing with the default game options? no windowed mode no direct draw emulation, etc.

What is your screen settings? try maxing those out to optimal.
simovitch

Scotters1

Post by Scotters1 »

As I said in the first post, whatever options I select in the game's options screen don't stay. You have to restart for them to take effect, but on a restart the default settings are back.
Scotters1

Post by Scotters1 »

Success! The key was to turn on direct play. I went to control panel, "Turn windows features on/off" legacy components, and I checked direct play. The credit goes to Zakblood, who gave me the tip to get Forge of Freedom to work. (I am still having issues there!) But it works for this game, which now runs fast and full screen! And thanks for all of your suggestions too simovitch!

Return to “Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich”