landing in a non base!

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

tigercub

landing in a non base!

Post by tigercub »

landing in a non base Hex! my allied player thinks its gamey whats the thinking on this one?

Tigercub
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life
witpqs

RE: landing in a non base!

Post by witpqs »

Not gamey.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

What's gamey is defining what's got a base and what doesn't. Of course, you generally wanted to land close enough to a port that you intended to capture, so you could get supplies moving shortly after the landing. This was very meaningful in the ETO but most of the places in the PTO where amphibious landings occurred had nothing like the infrastructure that covered nearly every inch of the European coastline. The placement of "base" hexes in the game is somewhat arbitrary and there was nowhere US Marines were not prepared to land. Even for the Japanese, Attu and Kiska, are you kidding me? You call those base hexes? How about landing in the Everglades with your objective being Lake Okeechobee?

GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

GAmey only if landing a small force for the sole purpose of cutting communications (shore rail line etc). Offensive landing is fine because of all the disablements and eventual problems with supply
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

What's gamey is defining what's got a base and what doesn't. Of course, you generally wanted to land close enough to a port that you intended to capture, so you could get supplies moving shortly after the landing. This was very meaningful in the ETO but most of the places in the PTO where amphibious landings occurred had nothing like the infrastructure that covered nearly every inch of the European coastline. The placement of "base" hexes in the game is somewhat arbitrary and there was nowhere US Marines were not prepared to land. Even for the Japanese, Attu and Kiska, are you kidding me? You call those base hexes? How about landing in the Everglades with your objective being Lake Okeechobee?

I see your Lake Okeechobee and raise you a Okefenokee Swamp.

RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

GAmey only if landing a small force for the sole purpose of cutting communications (shore rail line etc).

WRONG

the 8 sailors who blew up the train at near Kashiho, Japan conducted the ONLY GROUND COMBAT OPERATION on the Japanese "homeland" of World War II
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe
GAmey only if landing a small force for the sole purpose of cutting communications (shore rail line etc).

WRONG

the 8 sailors who blew up the train at near Kashiho, Japan conducted the ONLY GROUND COMBAT OPERATION on the Japanese "homeland" of World War II
I'm pretty sure the Japanese thought that was "gamey".
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

ORIGINAL: tigercub

landing in a non base Hex! my allied player thinks its gamey whats the thinking on this one?

Tigercub

good luck supplying it

to answer your question, unless it was a specific HR in your PBEM game, it is OK
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

There was a saying by one of the US leders in the Pacific: "Hit them were they ain't".

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Leandros

There was a saying by one of the US leders in the Pacific: "Hit them were they ain't".

Fred
"Hit them were they ain't", is attributed to baseball player Wee Willie Keeler, circa 1900.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Fred
"Hit them were they ain't", is attributed to baseball player Wee Willie Keeler, circa 1900.

I'd listen to Zilch on this one, Leandros. He is a veritable encyclopedia of everything having to do with 'Wee Willies'.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Fred

I'd listen to Zilch on this one, Leandros. He is a veritable encyclopedia of everything having to do with 'Wee Willies'.
Oh! Talk about hitting below the belt!
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Fred

I'm sure but I'm talking about the war in the Pacific...was mr. Keeler there.....[;)]...So, here is the quiz: Which US leader
used this (perhaps taken from mr. Keeler) expression to define his preferred strategy..

Fred

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
Buckrock

Post by Buckrock »

Adm. Wilkinson used the motto when developing the concept of island hopping.
This was the only sig line I could think of.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

I thought it was P.T. Barnum talking about the Whack-a-Mole game!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

I follow this view, and there are coastal areas where this could have a serious impact. My caveat would be any sized force.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

Not gamey...

Especially if not predefined and agreed upon.

The additional provisions noted above i.e. a small "suicide force purely to cut SLOC" with no intention to rescue/liberate or relive them is gamey... but if its part of the strategy to take the base.... is it not exactly like a para drop ? The Moral imperative to relieve the force ?

Also - Questionable tactics depending upon the circumstances?

Since each hex represents 60 Nautical Miles ~ as I recall ~ that represents a landing (60 X 1.15) 69 miles away from target.

Its going to be a slow march to target... especially as few non base hexes are 'absolutely clear terrain' with roads. Perhaps Australia, China, India, USA, and one or two spots on the Japanese home islands.

Slows down the capture target most certainly with movement speed, crossing rivers, supply burn.

Better just to land at the base ? Project force and always 'bring enough'.

As always I suppose depends on circumstances.
A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

60 Nautical Miles

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Dili

Post by Dili »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

WRONG

It depends, was that the only railway/road in that hex? that is the problem, you can cut a 40nm hex with a 10 men party.
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

I don't know but in mountainous terrain, often the only place to build such a railroad would be along the coast.

Give me a few men and supplies, I can make a road impassible for days. Whether it is in the forest, hills or whatever terrain it is.

I bet that it was gamey to the guard asleep in the watch tower that was not too far away. One of the landing party actually was climbing the tower.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”