Bacon Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

RogerBacon

RE: Bacon Mod

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: sotthata

I can't get !loadtemplates true to work, or (and probably more likely) I don't know what I'm doing. Running v1.71.

I'm playing the Paratis so I modified the military ships in the mymod/designTemplates/paratis/ directory to include two repair modules (DamageControl ;2) and two bays (FighterBay ;2). I CTRL-E !loadtemplates true to no effect. That's the command listed in the README. I also tried the one Roger typed above, !loadshiptemplates true.

Once I've done that, I then go and click "Auto Upgrade Ship" and no change. I've also waited for the advisor to ask for a refit; likewise no change. Ships still have one repair module and no hangers.

Where am I going wrong, por favor? Thanks.

Hi. It's !loadshiptemplates I'll correct the readme if it says otherwise.
I just tested it and it is changing the template and reloading it. I added 8 missiles to my exploration ship. However, when clicking the update design button it does not add missiles to the ship. I will investigate. Its possible that upgrading only looks for newer versions of components and doesn't put components on there if that type does not already exist. That would reduce the usefulness of this feature if true.

I actually never used this. I designed it for someone who asked for it and they never complained so I assumed it was working.
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
sotthata

Post by sotthata »

Thanks for looking.
ORIGINAL: RogerBacon
I just tested it and it is changing the template and reloading it.

How did you validate it changed the template? Cheers.
Pocus

Post by Pocus »

I don't use templates at all, but I would like to know something about them. If you play with gravity wells preventing jump, does it not render useless all hyper deny? And thus, should they not be ignored in templates?

Tangential remark, I don't play either with gravity wells prevent jump. I like the idea in theory and I would not mind the impact it has on the game, except for something that I consider a major fly in the ointment: it is asymmetrical. You can jump-in but not jump-out. Meaning that it induces a behavior: to guard a system efficiently, you should have a patrolling group stationed outside the gravity well influence. That or you trust the thrust of your ships to be good enough to reach the enemy that jumped in before they do nasty things to your stations and planets. And star systems can be big, you can literally spend half a year, in-game time, to move from a point to another in some circumstances.

If the symmetry was achievable, i.e ships in hyperspace appears outside the gravity well too, then that would be something.
AGEOD Team
SuperSchokoKeks

Post by SuperSchokoKeks »

I wanted to write a post about infrastructure with some points why it is broken.
BEcause this is a new account - this forum won't let me. so I make it short - for now.

It seems game breaking.

p.s I'm very salty because this is my x attempt to post it ... without any phone numbers, emails and links .. which wasn't included in the first place (except screenshots)

p.p.s no it wasn't a reply to pocus .. . ... sigh.. I wanted to be nice and give some feedback and now I'm very frustrated and angry. thanks Matrix
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Pocus

I don't use templates at all, but I would like to know something about them. If you play with gravity wells preventing jump, does it not render useless all hyper deny? And thus, should they not be ignored in templates?

HyperDeny is still useful in my opinion, although not as much as before. By the time you get to that tech level a lot of ships will be built to less than max size and therefore have smaller gravity well areas. Hyper deny will especially be useful protecting planets toward the outer edges of a system where the gravity well doesn't reach.
ORIGINAL: SuperSchokoKeks

. ... sigh.. I wanted to be nice and give some feedback and now I'm very frustrated and angry. thanks Matrix

The forum is not the most-user friendly, especially if you have less than X number of posts because some features are disabled. Try again later and know that we've all been there.
sotthata

Crash in FindRangeSquaredToTarget

Post by sotthata »

Running v1.71.

I can't post pictures or links yet so... copy-and-type (typos incoming):

Code: Select all

Error Code: GxBO

System.NullReferenceException
 BaconDistantWorlds.BaconBuiltObject.FindRangeSquaredToTarget(BuiltObject ship)
 "                                 ".ShouldSendShipTowardEdgeOfGravityWell(BuiltObject ship)
 "                                 ".SendShipTowardsEdgeOfGravityWell(BuiltObject ship)
 DistantWorlds.Types.BuiltObject.ExecuteCommands(BigAssArgumentList...)
The last message I had on my screen was of a empire fractioning into two empires. No idea if it was near the crash event; the game was running on auto-pilot. Empire fractions had happened twice before in this playthrough, too.
Zsar

RE: Crash in FindRangeSquaredToTarget

Post by Zsar »

This is a very nice mod. Also our sole source of behavioural changes until DW2 is released. I see you take feature requests and thence would like to throw in my lot.

In no particular order:

Add toggle to BaconSettings.txt to forbid non-friendly ships to dock at stations without a Commerce Center

Motivation:
A wide range of stations is better off in secret and/or immersion breaking to be accessible by foreign ships:
[*]Defense Station (if built in deep space, e.g. aside a World Destroyer, within other debris fields)
[*]Monitoring Station
[*]Research Station
[*]Star Base (if militarily used, e.g. as garrisons for uninhabited systems)
When such bases are built in remote locations, foreign ships refueling there may also "steal" fuel from same-empire ships arriving later.

Implementation details:

// Domain: {false, true}
 // Default value: false
 // if true foreign ships will not attempt to dock with stations lacking a Commerce Center component, if false (vanilla setting) they may to trade or refuel
 restrictTradeWithNonCommercialStations = true
[*]AI decisions must be informed of this setting (AI must not try-and-fail to create tasks to dock with affected stations; no such tasks should be generated in the first place)
[*]camouflaged Pirate ships must still be allowed to dock at their empires' stations
[*]ships of empires the station owner
- gives Military Refueling rights to
- is protectorate of
- is subjugated of
- is the subject of a protection arrangement with
must still be allowed to refuel (but not trade otherwisely) at affected stations

Add toggle to BaconSettings.txt to forbid mining bases at asteroids

Motivation:
Mining ships are a crucial element of pre-warp era starts, but the number of idle ships rapidly grows as the empires' Constructors build stations at strategic resources. Long before late game, most mining ships are idle at any given time, yet the AI builds ever more of them. At the same time, even the very earliest mining stations are usually larger than the asteroids they are built at. Restricting stations to planets will ensure that mining ships always have desirable targets and remain a relevant (raidable) part of the game, thereby providing easier (but less impactful) targets to Strike Forces, and also increase visual appeal of the game (e.g. the elemental asteroids stay visible).

Implementation details:

// Domain: {false, true}
 // Default value: true
 // if true (vanilla setting) Gas and Mining Station type designs can be built on asteroids, if false they cannot
 allowMiningStationsAtAsteroids = false
[*]AI decisions must be informed of this setting (AI must not try-and-fail or even succeed to create tasks to build affected station types at asteroids; no such tasks should be generated in the first place)
[*]The option should be absent from Player menus if not allowed:
- in the Selection Panel, when an asteroid is selected
- in the Right Click / Build at menu, when a Construction Ship is selected an an asteroid is right-clicked on
- in the Expansion Planer under both Resource Targets frames (the "Queue nearest Construction Ship to build Mining Station here" button)

Allow non-pirate empires to repair non-World Destroyer derelicts

Motivation:
Derelicts are usually up for grabs to the player, as pirates try to repair them but only have one Construction Ship for a long time (which they may indeed lose early in such an endeavour). Conversely, non-pirate empires actively try and repair World Destroyers but only patrol other derelicts. This is just not sensible behaviour and often means that Debris Fields last way into the late game.

Implementation details:
[*]Construction Ships without a higher priority task should attempt to repair known derelicts within their range
[*]this task should have lowest priority second only to repairing World Destroyers, as to not stifle economic growth
[*]on completion the possessing empire should disassemble the scavenged ship, if it has enough ships (if you want to refine this, e.g. keep cruisers and larger, feel free)

Override AI Empire Policies in certain situations

Motivation:
AI empires have one policy for their whole life, yet different stages of the game - notably Pre-Warp and "all systems explored" - fundamentally change which settings are sensible. Settings that may be very sensible for most of the game can seriously stifle AIs in such stages.

An alternative to this feature would be allowing different sets of policies and some sort of trigger system to swap them out. I deem this too complicated, but if you disagree, it would arguably be the better solution.

Implementation details:
[*]Exploration Priority should always be Low while no hyperdrive is available OR all systems are explored (for most of the game, High or Very High are the more sensible choices)
[*]Military Construction Level should always be Low while no hyperdrive is available (for most of the game, Normal or High are the more sensible choices)
[*]<any ground troop> Recruitment Level should always be Low while no hyperdrive is available OR no Troop Compartment component is available (High is the most sensible choice for all empires not always bombarding)
[*]Research Priority should always be Very High while no hyperdrive is available OR no Colonization Module component is available

Make Construction Ships prioritise World Destroyers least of all possible tasks and make empires ignore them completely previous to a certain tech level

Motivation:
AI Empires (at least the non-pirate kind) tend to dispatch a Construction Ship to any known World Destroyer within their range as soon as possible. This is not sensible in several ways:
- construction progress at early game tech levels is far too slow to have an impact: if only begun in the middle game, the construction would still be completed at roughly the same time
- while under construction, World Destroyers may be destroyed by Sabotage mission (thence I have yet to see a completed World Destroyer in any of my games)
- economic growth of affected empires slows down
- empires do not add more Construction Ships to compensate for those tied up for much of the game

Implementation details:
[*]repairing a World Destroyer should only become a task if no civilian tasks are available for an idle Construction Ship (mayhap until a certain - high - tech level, where the task may be done within a reasonable time span)
[*]repairing a smaller derelict should have priority over a World Destroyer (mayhap derelicts in range should *always* receive priority reciprocal to number of components damaged/unbuilt)
[*]repairing a World Destroyer should never become a task for an empire lacking a certain tech level (sadly I do not have enough insight into the repair speed calculation to suggest a value)

Allow for complex list tasks

Motivation:
My use case is the following: "list one planet per system, where said planet has all Fuel resources and lies in a system where all planets have Quality < 40%, ordered by range from my Homeworld". Currently there is no way to create such a list, as
[*]only one resource can be selected at a time (no way to filter for Caslon AND Hydrogen)
[*]other planets in the same system cannot be considered at all (no way to filter for uninhabitable systems)
[*]planets with known foreign bases at them or within foreign spheres of influence do not show up in the filter to begin with
I like to build Star Base stations on these planets, which provide refuel, repair and sensor capabilities within such systems, usually provided by settled planets with Space Ports elsewhere. As the game progresses, it becomes harder and harder to keep track of such locations as they are discovered. Similarly, foreign bases and spheres of influence may hide suitable planets for arbitrary amounts of time, disallowing to prioritise conquest of their systems.

Implementation details:
... I got nothing. Personally I could handle a linQ or SQL query, but that would require to expose the available variable names somehow. It would be great if this could somehow happen in the Expansion Planner, whose two Resource Targets frames I find stark useless in their current form, but I fear that would be unfeasible.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: sotthata

Running v1.71.

I can't post pictures or links yet so... copy-and-type (typos incoming):

Error Code: GxBO

System.NullReferenceException
 BaconDistantWorlds.BaconBuiltObject.FindRangeSquaredToTarget(BuiltObject ship)
 "                                 ".ShouldSendShipTowardEdgeOfGravityWell(BuiltObject ship)
 "                                 ".SendShipTowardsEdgeOfGravityWell(BuiltObject ship)
 DistantWorlds.Types.BuiltObject.ExecuteCommands(BigAssArgumentList...)
The last message I had on my screen was of a empire fractioning into two empires. No idea if it was near the crash event; the game was running on auto-pilot. Empire fractions had happened twice before in this playthrough, too.

Upgrade to the latest version. I believe I fixed a bug related to distance when a ship has no mission. There'sa good chance that when the empire split a lot of ships had their missions cleared out and the distance calculation came up and hit a null.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

Hi all,

OK, so !loadshiptemplates needed some more work. Yes, it was reloading the ship templates however the game does not use the ship templates except when first creating a design for a given ship class. When you click the auto-upgrade button it only improves components that are already on the ship. So, if you have a freighter without weapons and then you edit your freighter template to have 10 missiles, your new freighter design after clicking auto-update will not have any missiles. I don't want to over ride the auto-update behavior because if it read from the template and you had designed your ship different from the template it would throw away your design in favor of the template. For example, if I'm playing a race that is supposed to use rail guns and I have designed my ships with missiles, I would not want the game to overwrite my design by reading the ship template for my race.

So, going forward in the next patch it will work like this: If you have any ship design on the ship designs list highlighted and you use the !loadshiptemplates it will replace those with whatever design you have in the files for your race for those ship types. You should obsolete your existing design first as it will not do that. Also, it will pick a random name for the new design so you will have to rename it.
I really can't see myself or many other people using this feature but since I started it I will finish it. Look for it in the next version.

More interesting (IMHO)...
If you are like me and you queue up a large order of ships using the ship order screen (F9 or F10 I think), you know its a crap shoot as to where the ships will be constructed. If you have an out of the way space port with no supplies any ships ordered there will take forever. I hate it so much that lately I've taken to only building one base (at my capital) and just using defense bases at all my other colonies (with med and recreation facilities to get the bonuses). That's fine for me but if you play on a map bigger than 4x4 its a bit of a pain to have all your ships have to fly all the way back to the capital to refit or repair. So...

In the next patch, any space port whose name starts with * will not be selected for building ships. You can still manually sepect that base and order ships if you desire. Also the base will still repair and upgrade ships. I've played 1/2 a game with this so far and I really like it. I think you will too. Look for it in the next version of the mod.
sotthata

Post by sotthata »

Hey, that second feature sounds bueno! For the first feature, I'm hoping it works for multiple-selected ships so I can CTRL/SHIFT-click a bunch and giddy-up.

Something to maybe look at in your spare time--checking that !troops doesn't break automation. In my latest play-through, I had troops set to "Fully Automate" with a minimum of 20 troops. It felt like it was working until I did a !troops 40 command. I had the "leave automation turned on and don't show me this message anymore" enabled. Re-examining policy also continued to show that it was on "Fully Automate". However, none of my colonies would build troops beyond the first from settling. (This was on v1.71)

Zsar

Post by Zsar »

Bug: The BaconSettings.txt variable weaponRangeMultiplierForBases is not a (raw) multiplier.

Tested in v1.72.

Steps to reproduce:
1) set weaponRangeMultiplierForBases=1.5 (or any other easy to estimate range)
2) set BaseHyperJumpAccuracy to a value much higher than the expected range (so you can observe the first shots at max range)
2) find a station to attack, which has some short-ranged weapons (early game pirate base is good; I used one with Graviton Beams)
3) attack said station
Expected: the station should fire at ~1.5 times the normal range
Observed: the station fires at more than 2 times the normal range
4) quit the game and set weaponRangeMultiplierForBases=0.5
5) repeat step 3
Expected: the station should fire at less than vanilla range
Observed: the station still fires at more than vanilla range

I have not done further tests to find out the actual behaviour, but my guess is that the value is additive. Possible implementations might be:
[*]<range> + <range> * weaponRangeMultiplierForBases // then the description would be at least partially correct
[*]<range> + 1000 * weaponRangeMultiplierForBases // would about fit for the three values I tested with; in this case the description would be entirely wrong

Please fix the description or the implementation, so that they are consistent with each other.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Zsar

Bug: The BaconSettings.txt variable weaponRangeMultiplierForBases is not a (raw) multiplier.

Tested in v1.72.

Steps to reproduce:
1) set weaponRangeMultiplierForBases=1.5 (or any other easy to estimate range)
2) set BaseHyperJumpAccuracy to a value much higher than the expected range (so you can observe the first shots at max range)
2) find a station to attack, which has some short-ranged weapons (early game pirate base is good; I used one with Graviton Beams)
3) attack said station
Expected: the station should fire at ~1.5 times the normal range
Observed: the station fires at more than 2 times the normal range
4) quit the game and set weaponRangeMultiplierForBases=0.5
5) repeat step 3
Expected: the station should fire at less than vanilla range
Observed: the station still fires at more than vanilla range

I have not done further tests to find out the actual behaviour, but my guess is that the value is additive. Possible implementations might be:
[*]<range> + <range> * weaponRangeMultiplierForBases // then the description would be at least partially correct
[*]<range> + 1000 * weaponRangeMultiplierForBases // would about fit for the three values I tested with; in this case the description would be entirely wrong

Please fix the description or the implementation, so that they are consistent with each other.

I have weaponRangeMultiplierForBases=2 in my game and its working correctly. It's a float so 1.5 should be OK as well. You can useCTRL-D to measure the range between tow objects. Make one using the "FighterTarget" command alt-4 and then select the other object and press ctrl-D. Also, turn ruange circles on and you can see the base's weapon ranges. I'll mod it to a really large value for my next game and see how that works.

Also note that the weapons ranges don't change dynamically if you exit the game, make changes to the setting and then reload it. They are set when a base is built or when it upgrades or gets a tech advance that would affect ranges.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

Somestimes Iwant to know quickly just how damaged a ship is. Is it just armor damage or something more serious? Is the reason Ship X in Fleet 1 is taking so long to refuel is because its hyperdrive has been shot out?

In the next version of the mod I've added two color indicators for the Shiplist view.
Here you can see a ship with only armor damage has its name highlighted in yellow. A ship that has lost its hyperdrive is shown in aqua. Ships with damaged systems other than armor will continue to show in red as usual.

Pocus

Post by Pocus »

+1 !
AGEOD Team
Cygnus

RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended)

Post by Cygnus »

Long time player, first time poster here.
First off, I'd like to thank you for this wonderful mod. The boarding pod fix alone made it worthwhile for me.
Now the reason for my posting:

I'd like to report a bug I've found in Bacon mod 1.72.
I've been using this mod for some time in conjunction with Retreat1970's mod. One thing I noticed was that the AI empire's GDP shoots through the roof after playing for some time.
After checking the AI colonies I noticed that their colony's development bonus seems to continually rise. I noticed this because an empire had a huge GDP and only one colony with, after checking, a whopping 12292% development bonus.
I played multiple games using various combinations of mods and the bug is only there when using Bacon mod.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

Yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me
We'll Pillage and loot and plunder and shoot
and build and build and build!

So I've been playing a pirate lately. I consider being a pirate to be a lot of fun but one thing I never liked is how dependent you are on your one lone constructor. If you lose it you are basically screwed unless you can capture another one (with a hyperdrive). Yeah, once you get WAY WAY WAY into the game you can build a criminal network and then build a like a regular empire but by that point you've already won the game.

So, I've added a setting in the BaconSettings file to allow you to build at planets you control that have the required level of control.

// This setting allows pirate empires to order ships built at independent colonies if their control level meets or exceeds this value. Set it to greater than 1 to disable it. For example, 0.9 means you must have 90% control.
pirateControlLevelToBuildShipsAtIndependentPlanets=0.9

Select the planet and then use the ctrl-alt-right click menu.

[Behind the curtain details]
The ship isn't actually constructed like normal. It's insta-built and then all of its components ar damaged. The reason for this si that the independent plants just don't have the required resources to build them and it would take years and years to build otherwise.

The second thing is that once your ship is nearly built (repaired) the Ai will attempt to move it to one of your colonies for repair (even though it is being repaired). Don't worry. The independent ship builders are so dedicated they will keep building (repairing) your ship even as it heads off to one of your planets. :)

The AI will also take advantage of this new ability if it has sufficient money, control, AND some military ships around the independent planet to make sure its new construction ship isn't vaporized by a rival.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Cygnus

Long time player, first time poster here.
First off, I'd like to thank you for this wonderful mod. The boarding pod fix alone made it worthwhile for me.
Now the reason for my posting:

I'd like to report a bug I've found in Bacon mod 1.72.
I've been using this mod for some time in conjunction with Retreat1970's mod. One thing I noticed was that the AI empire's GDP shoots through the roof after playing for some time.
After checking the AI colonies I noticed that their colony's development bonus seems to continually rise. I noticed this because an empire had a huge GDP and only one colony with, after checking, a whopping 12292% development bonus.
I played multiple games using various combinations of mods and the bug is only there when using Bacon mod.

Hi. I'm gald you are enjoying the game. It's not a bug. The AI is using the infrastructure improvement option. You can disable infrastructure improvements by setting
allowInfrastructureImprovements=false in the BaconSettings.txt.
I've see values in the 200's and even low 300's but never as high as you saw. Perhaps I'll set a cap on it in the future.
Cygnus

Post by Cygnus »

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

Hi. I'm gald you are enjoying the game. It's not a bug. The AI is using the infrastructure improvement option. You can disable infrastructure improvements by setting
allowInfrastructureImprovements=false in the BaconSettings.txt.
I've see values in the 200's and even low 300's but never as high as you saw. Perhaps I'll set a cap on it in the future.

Thank you for the lighting quick reply.

Maybe the unusually high percentages come from using it with Retreat1970's mod? It boosts the economy so that might be causing it to go haywire.
As of now I've turned it off and everything seems to be fine. I can actually win economic victories again.

Thanks again for the help.
jurassic_v

Post by jurassic_v »

hi! thanks for the great mod!

I have a problem/question
I was playing my game and managed to subjugate an AI faction but after that my income increased skyhigh, I started getting milions of credits and my cashflow is 2.5 milions which makes the game pretty much over. this is a very early game and I have so much money I can do anything. I guess this happened because of the forementioned bonuses AI factions get? I don't have this command "allowInfrastructureImprovements" in the BaconSettings.txt. is there a way to change this in my current game without the need to start a new one? I am using Bacon mod and Retreat1970's mod

btw I also did some (simple) changes I think improve gameplay: increased colony ship capacity so that colonies need less time to develop (I play with scarce colonies setting so each one is important). I also increased range to weapons (around 30-50% in total; less for long range weapons) and increased targeting to make it balanced. now fights are a lot more tactical and easier to command/micro. this is just something i like very much so i wanted to share
jurassic_v

Post by jurassic_v »

so, I went into game editor and found out my subjugated faction was creating huge debt: - 5 million. Before starting this game i changed how much subjugated empires give to their "masters" from 0.1 to 0.25. maybe the game didn't understand 0.25 value?

Return to “Design and Modding”