Armies attached to Stavka

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Bagration23

Armies attached to Stavka

Post by Bagration23 »

Another question about playing as the Soviets.
As far as I understand attaching Armies to Fronts will give them another roll for SU's attached to the Front, however I feel the chances are slim of getting these rolls and supply goes through the Army HQ.
So is there any other reason to attach Soviet Armies to Fronts? While if you don't do this and you can move them up and down the front where needed without having to spend APs attaching and de-attaching them.
Telemecus

RE: Armies attached to Stavka

Post by Telemecus »

Basically yes although do consider
- the front rolls are slimmer but you have to multiply them over many more units so the two factors do cancel each other out
- front air arms only ground support units in their front - STAVKA air arms can for those assigned to them too but with a lower probability
- attaching more to a front makes no sense if the command is over loaded, not only are you getting even slimmer additions to your units, you are making them slimmer for everyone else in the front too
-the rolls are not for support units directly assigned at the front to help units attached to armies, but they are for all ratings checks whenever they occur including movement, morale gain and combat results

While the flexibility of armies directly attached to STAVKA is useful, not having some attached to fronts that are not overloaded will significantly reduce your overall combat power
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
Bagration23

Post by Bagration23 »

Ok, thanks for the reply, I wasn't aware that's how the Air Armies worked.
I'll have to start attaching some Armies, I think I'll leave just a few attached to Stavka as firebrigades.
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

I think a good general rule is that a front should have no more than three armies and one corps attached to it. That way, once armies go to 21 CP and corps to 9, your front will be exactly full. Until things get really packed up, you can back each front up with a STAVKA army for rear security and training purposes.
GabrielBora

Post by GabrielBora »

1 COMBAT PENALTIES ( This can be avoided only if the hex is held by units assigned to the same army ).
2 The front provides also support squads ,to keep ground elements ready/undamaged ( given the soviet low experience and small number of support squads in units toe , you need every support squad you can get ) .

As for the actual rolls, in 1941 the chances are slim , given the poor leadership at the front . ( 3 skill initiative rating at front level has a 15% chance of backing up a failed roll at army level/ 6 skill initiative rating at front level has a 30% chance ).
GabrielBora

Post by GabrielBora »

ORIGINAL: thedoctorking

I think a good general rule is that a front should have no more than three armies and one corps attached to it. That way, once armies go to 21 CP and corps to 9, your front will be exactly full. Until things get really packed up, you can back each front up with a STAVKA army for rear security and training purposes.

Agree . I use STAVKA sapper armies as fast as I can (10 low morale divisions in one army HQ, to build trenches behind the front ).

No idea

Post by No idea »

ORIGINAL: Bagration23

As far as I understand attaching Armies to Fronts will give them another roll for SU's attached to the Front, however I feel the chances are slim of getting these rolls and supply goes through the Army HQ.
So is there any other reason to attach Soviet Armies to Fronts? While if you don't do this and you can move them up and down the front where needed without having to spend APs attaching and de-attaching them.

I think Armies directly attached to Stavka get a combat penalty to thir CV, altough I think the penalty is not reflected in the counters. It was a 20% penalty, iirc. BUT, I am not sure if this was with divisions directly attached to Stavka or also with armies.
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

ORIGINAL: No idea

ORIGINAL: Bagration23

I think Armies directly attached to Stavka get a combat penalty to thir CV, altough I think the penalty is not reflected in the counters. It was a 20% penalty, iirc. BUT, I am not sure if this was with divisions directly attached to Stavka or also with armies.
I think STAVKA Armies fight OK, except the lack of air support. Divisions attached directly to STAVKA are nerfed pretty severely.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

A reminder for those who do not know might be useful here.

You can actually see what those ratings probabilities are exactly if you look at the supply details for each unit. So you can see exactly what is the impact once you reassign an army out of or into a front on ratings probabilities at least.

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (79.56 KiB) Viewed 117 times
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

Thanks, Telemecus. That bit of information needs to be in the beginner's guide.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”