Any Point Attacking as Sov in 1st Summer?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Bagration23

Any Point Attacking as Sov in 1st Summer?

Post by Bagration23 »

I've played a few games of WITE as Soviet and I was wondering is there any point in the first summer in launching forlorn suicidal attacks against the Germans in the first summer?
As in does it slow the Germans down at all if they are attacked and easily brush away the attack with just 12 or so casualities?
EwaldvonKleist

RE: Any Point Attacking as Sov in 1st Summer?

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Mostly for opening pockets, cutting off panzers and to Farm guards.
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

I would also say attacks that result in disloding panzer HQ's are worthwhile in a lot of circumstances
Throwing back a weak bridehead over natural defences like rivers etc
Sometimes causing a retreat so you can build forts on a good defensive hex can help too but more cirumstancial
Bagration23

Post by Bagration23 »

I get these reasons for attacking but if none of these reasons exist, does attacking the Panzer Divisions and suffering outrageous losses actually slow them down in any way?
Or would it be better just to sit the unit there and make them go around you and hope that delays them?
beender

Post by beender »

Except for some really good hexes or weak spots to take advantage of, normally I find sitting the soviet units and piling up the defensive CV (so that hopefully Germans get somewhat detered) is a more efficient way.
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

It will reduce supplies and ammo of the division making it have less next Axis turn but it does need to be used with temperance
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

No...only if a unit has stuck its neck out and you can use over whelming force, you might get a retreat. Save your offensive operations for low morale/exp allies
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

We will see if my experiment on my game with BrianG will prove or disprove if there is a point in attacking the 1st Summer.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”