Star Wars - The Evacuation of Yavin (in beta development)

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

rjord2021

Star Wars - Episode V (alpha 0.17)

Post by rjord2021 »

I have been a huge Star Wars fan since the first movie came out in '77 and I must admit that I am concerned about the direction that Star Wars has taken since Return of the Jedi came out in 1983.

Though I did not mind the Prequel Trilogy I think it was a mistake going back and George Lucas should have made a further 6 movies with Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo. If Harrison Ford did not want to continue he could have been written out. George Lucas knew that Episodes IV and V were hits so even though the Emperor should die in Episode VI I think Darth Vader should have lived on for at least another 3 movies after Episode VI.

Well...thats what I would have done..... keep the movies coming out for the popular heroes and villains of Star Wars.

Episode VII came out and we lost Han Solo...then Episode VIII with what happened to Skywalker...... and then Carrie Fischer..... this leaves die hard Star Wars fans a little unsettled as we wanted more of Skywalker, Solo and Leia.

I have released an early version of the Star Wars mod however I have decided the best way forward is to break this down into much smaller mods telling the story of Star Wars from prior to Episode 1 and following on from Episode VI and prior to Episode VII.

The much smaller mods will allow me to use the mod as it is and create much smaller mods from it which will be quicker to get out.

For example the first mod would tell what happened 10 years prior to The Phantom Menace , the 2nd mod would then be in the next era...and so on through the Clone Wars, the Empire and so on. The first 2 mods would be prior to the Empire being formed wjhich would appear in Mod #4.

Distant Worlds is probably the only game which allows the Star Wars saga to be told over a period spanning 100 years and I think it would be great to have the option to play Disant Worlds in a variety of eras with different characters and races unique to each mod.
Sooner535

RE: Star Wars

Post by Sooner535 »

Wait so am I right in reading that: You will need to download multiple different mods and each mod is played seperate (so you cannot play in the old republic era as the old republic and advance to the GCW era and suh?)

Or are you saying that each era will be independent and each one will all be in 1 mod and you cannot advance the clock to eachother?

Obviously I am not the creator but, I was wondering is it possible that one could make the eras move along? Such as at year XXXX the old republic has the option to change to the republic? Or something along those lines? Would be cool to see, however I understand if it's either impossible or too time consuming to do :D just will be nice to have it finished regardless of what goes on lol
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

I took a little time out on modding to concentrate on work......... as owner of my own business sometimes I need to put other stuff on the backburner and concentrate on my business.

Sooner535....in regard to your post.

A reason I had not started with the Old Republic and advanced through the different eras is that some people may not want to play The Old Republic, some people may not want to play the Prequel eras.... and some people may only want to play the original trilogy.

I would be happy to hear feedback on what people want and this will give me a guide on where to take the mod.

I had originally though of creating smaller "Episode" mods with Episode 1 starting in the Old Republic and Episode 12 being in the New Republic era 24 years after the Battle of Yavin. Each episode mod would b smaller mods and have different races, planets and ships depending on the era. So for example Darth Vader and the Empire would not be in the First mod as it would be the Old Republic era.

Please leave me feedback on what you all would like.
Sooner535

RE: Star Wars

Post by Sooner535 »

I would personally like it all connected, I think it would be cool for eras to switch over and the likes. Or maybe just have all the races and pics together and players can switch them as they please? I am not sure, all I know is that I would love some all connected gameplay (playing as the Old Republic building up to the republic and trying to keep corruption down and the likes so the empire doesnt happen. Is multiple choice events a coding option? Would also be neat to see things like if the republic breaks apart you get the choice to continue as the rebels/CIS/whatever or the republic proper/empire/whatever? See a huge wookie rebellion across the republic lol. Then again keeping it 100% accurate is an option I wouldn't mind either, whichever floats your boat as the mod creator.
anthonykevinluke

RE: Star Wars - Mod Released (alpha 0.17 version)

Post by anthonykevinluke »

Hi rjord1,

I have the Steam version of the game and was wondering if/how this mod can be applied to the Steam version. I note that there is no 'mod' folder in the steam game. Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

cheers,

AKL

EDIT: Don't worry found the instructions to do it, thanks!
anthonykevinluke

RE: Star Wars - Mod Released (alpha 0.17 version)

Post by anthonykevinluke »

Hi rjord1,

I followed the download instructions and placed your files into the game (customisation file). I can find the star wars theme mod,change theme to your mod but when the game loads I still have the standard game? Any idea what might be going on?

Cheers,

AKL
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

ORIGINAL: anthonykevinluke

Hi rjord1,

I followed the download instructions and placed your files into the game (customisation file). I can find the star wars theme mod,change theme to your mod but when the game loads I still have the standard game? Any idea what might be going on?

Cheers,

AKL

If you try switching to someone elses mod do you see their mod when you play?
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

ORIGINAL: anthonykevinluke

Hi rjord1,

Cheers,

AKL

Another test to make sure the Star Wars mod has been switched to correctly is that when the mod is active you should hear Star Wars music. Can you let me know if that happens.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Work has begun on changes for next release Alpha 0.18
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

With this mod..... Now renamed as Episode V...... I will be making some changes where there is a greater emphasis on battles between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire.

One of the things Star Wars fans love to see in a Star Wars movie is the epic space battles between the Rebels and the Empire. With Episode IV the most memorable moment of the movie is at the end where the X-Wings leave Yavin IV to destroy the Death Star and we see battles against Imperial Tie Fighters.

With that in mind the Rebel Fleet with squadrons of X-Wings will have numerous battles with the Imperial Star Destroyers and their Tie Fighters.

I am also re-thinking how the other 49 races in the mod will be seen in the mod..... for example it would be unrealistic to see Jawas or Dugs as examples going around the galaxy in Frigates or Destroyers.

Pirates will also play an increased role in the mod made up of a variety of rogues scattered across the galaxy who would attack, rob or commandeer ships as they saw fit. I am hoping to have the pirates armed with Ion Cannons which they will use to disable entire ships before they are boarded and looted. Black Sun based in the Mustafar system will be particularity aggressive pirates to watch out for.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

With the changes I mentioned in the last post there is one planned change I would like feedback on.

My idea is that when you play the mod you will only have the choice of playing as the Empire or the Rebel Alliance..... unless you play as a smuggler which will be a completely different side of the mod.

As Empire or Rebels, you expand to other worlds and meet other races who will be biased either towards the Rebels, the Empire, or neither of them.

When you play the Rebel Alliance, you will come across systems which support the Empire and you will be attacked by Tie Fighters. Princess Leia and Mon Mothma will want some key worlds supporting the Empire to switch over to the Alliance..... but the success of that will vary based on the racebias file.

The racebias file I use for this mod is randomly generated with varying degrees of support so depending on the file I use the Bothans may support the Alliance one week but then the Empire the following week.

It is my plan that the racebias file is updated every weekend and available to download here with weekly updates.

With the future plans for the mod it would be easier for me to complete the mod if playable races are the Alliance or the Empire as I can focus on those two and the numerous battles between them.

Please give me feedback on what you would prefer.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

The below screenshot is an example of what the mod would look like with only the Alliance or the Empire as playable races.

The mod currently contains races seen in the movies "The Force Awakens" and "The Last Jedi".
I am planning to remove those races and add in races that exist in Star Wars prior to the Disney version of Star Wars. Looking at the mod this means 7 of the existing races will be removed and includes races introduced in Rogue One, The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi..... sorry...Gungans will still be here. :)

I am planning on 75 races in total being randomly encountered when you play as the Empire or the Rebellion.

The next version of the mod will be different enough that it will be known as alpha 1.0

Attachments
2 Playable Races.jpg
2 Playable Races.jpg (210.09 KiB) Viewed 251 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

I looked at whether I should create a version of the mod for downloading which did not contain the custom music.
However the music in this mod is only 69 meg in size so there is no need for a special no-music version of the mod.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

In no particular order these are new races being added to the mod.
You may not recognize the name of the species but you will know them when you see them in the mod

Corellian
Iktotchi
Caamasi
Skakoan
Cerean
Nosaurian
Vulptereen
Chadra-Fan
Ewok
Anx
Aleena
Falleen
Nautolan
Naboo
Nightsister
Toong
Chiss
Varactyl
Mirialan
Momaw Nadon, also known as "Hammerhead,"
Kel Dor
Defel
Abyssin
Nimbanel
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

When you play as the Rebel Alliance you will want to begin construction of the T-65 X-wing starfighters seen in Episodes IV, V and VI.
The X-Wings will be needed to protect your planet from any Imperial fighters that may find you.

To have the X-Wings at full strength you will need to research technology such as:

sublight drive engine technology
advanced sublight drive engine technology
Class 1.0 Hyperdrive Unit Technology (you will not find this in the ruins and will need to research it)
Cryogenic power cell Technology
Deflector shield generator
Sensor System Technology
Targetting System technology
Navigation System Technology
Laser Cannon Technology
Proton Torpedo Technology
Astromech Droid Technology
S-Foils Technology
Subspace Transceiver Technology

Many but not all of these will need to be researched before you can launch your first x-wing.
For example, you need an astromech droid, shields and navigation but while exploring your own system you do not need weapons.

However, researching of weapons is important so you can upgrade your x-wings incase you are attacked by pirates or the Empire.

For this mod to work, the entire research tree has to be replaced.

If you play as the Empire you will need a different research tree which allows you to create Star Destroyers and Tie Fighters.
rjord2021

RE: Star Wars - Episode V (alpha 0.17)

Post by rjord2021 »

If you are the Empire in the mod, to have the TIE/LN starfighters at full strength you will need to research technology such as:

Ion engine technology

(Tie fighters do not have hyper drive... need to look at how to deal with this in the mod)
I may try to do it in a way that a Star Destroyer is somewhere in the system but not yet detected but within range of the Tiefighters.

Tiefighters have no shields - how to replicate in mod

Solar ionization reactor Technology
Sensor System Technology
Targetting System technology
Navigation System Technology
Laser Cannon Technology
Subspace Transceiver Technology
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

The following races have now being removed from the mod and replaced with races more familiar in classic Star Wars.... otherwise known as Legends......

Crolute
Selkath
Utai
Guardians of the Whills
Disciples of the Whills
Drabatan
Iakaru
Talpini
Teedo
LordMM

Post by LordMM »

Brilliant work here, I especially love the way the planets look. Thanks a ton for extending the life of the game for me. Just want to say I appreciate what you are doing here.
It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly, than to live somebody else's life with perfection.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

ORIGINAL: LordMM

Brilliant work here, I especially love the way the planets look. Thanks a ton for extending the life of the game for me. Just want to say I appreciate what you are doing here.

Thanks for the great comment...... I have spent literally hundreds of hours on each of my mods and have a lot more work on them still to go. Always great to get some feedback from people who have tried the mod.

If you like the planets in this mod as they are now you will love the next version of planets I am working on.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

I am close to showing a preview of the new look planets for the mod. This will cover all planet types in the mod.
I am currently working on the image for Coruscant which has a look unlike any other planet in Star Wars.

The aim of the looks of the planets is that when you travel to a new system and explore the planets you will go to a planet and say " Wow......look at that planet".

The key to this would be different and new textures for each planet.

Return to “Design and Modding”