First time buyer of WEGO system. Fortress Europe or Desert War ?

Piercing Fortress Europa is a new game from veteran game designer Frank Hunter, which covers the campaigns of the Western Allies from July, 1943 through the end of April, 1945 in Sicily and Italy. Each area has its own map and time scale to best represent the campaigns for Sicily and Italy and the player is offered complete freedom, limited only by a historical order of battle and logistics model, to plan his operations and explore all of the many “what ifs” that the Italian theater has to offer.
KarlXII

First time buyer of WEGO system. Fortress Europe or Desert War ?

Post by KarlXII »

I like both theaters but have never played a WEGO system based game. Any recommendations about the games ? There are few reviews available for Piercing Fortress Europe.
Värjan måste göra det bästa, ty den skämtar intet

Been playing strategy games since 1987 and the Commodore 64 days
pkpowers

RE: First time buyer of WEGO system. Fortress Europe or Desert War ?

Post by pkpowers »

to me , PFE is more playable than DW. Also PFE shows logistics/airpower in an abstract yet perfect way.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

I second that. This is a better game to start with. Ultimately, get both! [:)]
A Sharif
KarlXII

Post by KarlXII »

Good! I bought PFE because it has the long campaign before Desert War 1940-1942.
Värjan måste göra det bästa, ty den skämtar intet

Been playing strategy games since 1987 and the Commodore 64 days
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

Enjoy - it is one of those games that sadly too few have taken a chance on but is a real gem. I agree with the others that Desert War is more complicated and PFE is more manageable and easier to get into. Give it a little time as it is different from most games but you should be able to get the hang of it fairly easily.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: KarlXII

Good! I bought PFE because it has the long campaign before Desert War 1940-1942.

I haven't commented because, although I have bought 'Desert War', I have not played it more than a few exploratory turns and could not really compare.

Now you have PFE you will find it a very individual game, not easy to transfer experience from other titles.

The balance of supply over fuel, issuing combat supply to units and effects of ZOC are all important decisions with little guidance, it's a matter of trying different combinations. It can be difficult finding the right balance.

There are some glitches in the game, but I hope that the forum discussion will highlight these issues.
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa
important decisions with little guidance, it's a matter of trying different combinations. It can be difficult finding the right balance.

Which is a very accurate portrayal of real-life warfare! And some folks wonder how wars can be so easily mismanaged, without any benefit of hindsight and analysis by military experts. Which, of course, makes playing Frank Hunter's games so much more interesting!
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa
important decisions with little guidance, it's a matter of trying different combinations. It can be difficult finding the right balance.

Which is a very accurate portrayal of real-life warfare! And some folks wonder how wars can be so easily mismanaged, without any benefit of hindsight and analysis by military experts. Which, of course, makes playing Frank Hunter's games so much more interesting!

Frank does have a talent for getting to the essence and 'feel' of each campaign, makes it more than just operating a game system and playing the odds.
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

Return to “Piercing Fortress Europa”