Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress

The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 is a new turn-based, tactical wargame that focuses on conflicts in the Middle East.

Moderator: Jason Petho

chris_merchant

RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun

Post by chris_merchant »

Amazing work guys!
jamespcrowley

Post by jamespcrowley »

Yes, excellent work but I also think that the Factory, in particular and the houses generally, need to be larger to look right at this scale.

The factory needs to fill the whole hex IMHO.
Cheers

Jim
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

We're making the 3D terrain graphics more closely resembling "real" scale, not totally, but closer.

As you can see with the screenshot below of the area above, the houses and factory in the new version are more within the scale as opposed to the original EF version.

Attachments
Scale_Sample.jpg
Scale_Sample.jpg (147.89 KiB) Viewed 108 times
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

The problem is not the scale of the buildings, but the vehicles and other units, am already working with a very few amount of pixels, if we made them to scale, would only be a couple pixels, nothing to look at at all!! We do what we can, Panzer Corps and others are at what a KM or so per hex or more, and the vehicles fill the whole hex!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
benpark

Post by benpark »

The scaling looks great to me-maybe up 25% with the factory and the smaller structures if needed. It will be nice to finally use the "special" tiles, like the factory in the map editor.

One for the wishlist- maybe one slot in the "specials" terrain area (like the factory) for modders that want to add a specific building to a scenario that they make the graphic for.
"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

That smaller scale you guys chose looks great, in my opinion. I like how the factory does not cover the whole hex, but that's just my take on it. Could you perhaps offer different scale sizes of factories?

And I agree with benpark, any way for us to make our own factories and do some modding of terrain on our own would be very cool. I like putting scenarios together, so being able to create the buildings and structures to look the way I want in a scenario would be great.

Perhaps have a "terrain editor" in the game and have a site where fans can create and upload terrain tiles, and we can go in and download them to use in the game? Just an idea, if it's not feasible no prob.

Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

You are able to mod the graphics files! Then use them in JSGME to swap in and out.
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: Warhorse

You are able to mod the graphics files! Then use them in JSGME to swap in and out.

Indeed, there's quite a few mods included in the install, all located at the /Mods folder. Have a look at them, see how they're put together, and try creating a mod yourself. Start small, end big [:)]

Also, have a look at our Mods and Scenarios forum, and the stickied posts there. Lots of stuff to get you started, hopefully!

edit typos
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: Hoplite1963

Hi Mike
Your input is really appriciated. Just doing the 2d UP fiels for CSME is big enough job but what your doing is a truly massive task. BTW now got over the 200 mark and working on the ZPU-4 14.5mm AAMG. the crew served weapons & artillelry files are none spacific and should be usable for a mod for the CSVN game.

Kind regards
Ian
ORIGINAL: Warhorse

Watcha working on, Ian?!

THIS [:)]
---
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

ORIGINAL: Hoplite1963

Hi Mike
Your input is really appriciated. Just doing the 2d UP fiels for CSME is big enough job but what your doing is a truly massive task. BTW now got over the 200 mark and working on the ZPU-4 14.5mm AAMG. the crew served weapons & artillelry files are none spacific and should be usable for a mod for the CSVN game.

Kind regards
Ian
Geez, been so busy your project slipped in under the radar on me!!! Looks good what you did so far, really needed done and we were not allowed, unless I went in and hand made all those as well, thanks for your effort!!![&o]
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

Looks really great!

Back to Vietnam. Just wonder what kind of air support is depicted on and off map. Screenshots already showed helicopter on map but will FOs be on map too?
And what about really special AS like B52s? Wouldn't they need to be handled differently compared to "normal" air support if they can plaster large areas?
berto

Post by berto »

I'm not a fan of making the buildings any bigger. For one thing, larger buildings would make trees seem like mere bushes. It's a delicate balancing act, scaling each graphic component one to the other. I think we have it about right.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

+1
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

Any chance some day, way down the road, we might see a CS: Modern Warfare? I'd like to put together and play scenarios with US and coalition forces going up against different insurgents and terrorist groups, being able to use toys like the M1 Abrams tank, A-10s and F-18s, US Navy Seal teams, etc.

Jeff
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

...way down the road.

East Front III, West Front II, Pacific Front and Cold War (in that order) are on the schedule before anything else.
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

Sounds great.

I'll buy them all :)
Crossroads

RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: Deepstuff3725

Any chance some day, way down the road, we might see a CS: Modern Warfare? I'd like to put together and play scenarios with US and coalition forces going up against different insurgents and terrorist groups, being able to use toys like the M1 Abrams tank, A-10s and F-18s, US Navy Seal teams, etc.

Jeff

CS: Cold War is definitively something I am looking forward too! I've got plenty of Cold-War-Gone-Hot boardgames, can't wait to play some scenarios on CS engine as well [:)]
---
jamespcrowley

Post by jamespcrowley »

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

We're making the 3D terrain graphics more closely resembling "real" scale, not totally, but closer.

As you can see with the screenshot below of the area above, the houses and factory in the new version are more within the scale as opposed to the original EF version.

Very good! I stand corrected.
Cheers

Jim
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: jamespcrowley

Very good! I stand corrected.

Here's an earlier snippet Jason posted a while ago at our internal Dev Forum, when we were looking at the scale and how to adapt the various graphics to it. As Jason noted, we opted to go towards the "true scale", but not that far.
ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

Quick graphic showing relative sizes within a 250 metre hex.

Anyone interested to see the CS Middle East graphics per the picture above should check out MausMan's 3D Graphics mod, available as part of the install, in the Mods folder. Fire up your JSGME in give it a try! [:)]
---
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

^^ I mean, even the 2D map art is not done to that scale, just too small to match the tactical "look and feel" we want to achieve with the map aesthetics.
---

Return to “Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985”