Axis oil crisis simulated?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

uhu

Axis oil crisis simulated?

Post by uhu »

Hello my fellow Generals,
I'm so new to this game, that I just looked it several times, but had not the time yet to go deeper in it. Still, I'm curious, how deep simulates this highly complex game engine the oil crisis of the Axis? Axis oil reserves run low already in late 1941, that was the main cause, why no more broad offensive operations couldn't be initiated as in 1941. So, are there any effects after 1941 and after capturing the Caucasus oil fields (while I know, that these oil couldn't have been possible to used by the Axis, as they would have been destroyed by the retreating Soviets.)
Some information about the Axis oil crisis:
Search youtube for: "The MAIN Reason Why Germany Lost WW2 - OIL" from TIK(I'm not yet able to post links :) )
Searry

RE: Axis oil crisis simulated?

Post by Searry »

It's almost non-existant. If Soviets bomb Ploesti and later take it, they could have some problems.
-Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm Beta Tester
-Rule The Waves 3 Beta Tester
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

Yes, fuel is an issue for delivery but I've never seen a game where either side had difficulty producing enough fuel. It would be nice if it was properly simulated.

I think if as the Axis you capture the oil fields in the Caucasus, they will start to repair and ultimately produce for you. Assuming you hold them long enough. With the supply nerfing, I think it is nearly impossible to get there.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

The oil production is not relevant in this game both to german and soviet.
Brakes are for cowards !!
Aufklaerungs

Post by Aufklaerungs »

I'm curious, how deep simulates this highly complex game engine the oil crisis of the Axis?

The oil issue is an integral production factor to the game, but the game does not pretend to be a an analytical model for the "war for oil."
Aufklärungs
No idea

Post by No idea »

"Oil issue"? What issue?
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Some Axis players have commented that oil shortages in later game did mean their motorised units had fewer movement points. So at least for some it has been an issue?
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”