Healing disabled units

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

dougmichel

Healing disabled units

Post by dougmichel »

I cannot find specific info about how quickly units will repair disabled units. For instance I landed 4 divisions just above Suva so that they could not use CDs on me and they moved several units to meet me and a lot of my units are disabled. What rate to units repair? Is it a factor of supply, support, presence of enemy units, or proximity to friendly base in supply? Thanks in advance.
GetAssista

RE: Healing disabled units

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: dougmichel
Is it a factor of supply, support, presence of enemy units, or proximity to friendly base in supply? Thanks in advance.
All of that. Although they would still repair while on the beachhead, just slow
You best bet is to put them in Rest mode into your large rear non-malaria (yo, rap!) base with lots of support units, e.g. HQs. And divide them into A/B/C regiments, they recuperate faster this way.

BTW, I bet your units ended up disabled because you did not prepair them for the landing spot. Amphib operations can only go w/o preparations in one case - for Japan till end of March 42
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: GetAssista
Is it a factor of supply, support, presence of enemy units, or proximity to friendly base in supply? Thanks in advance.
You best bet is to put them in Rest mode into your large rear non-malaria (yo, rap!) base with lots of support units, e.g. HQs. And divide them into A/B/C regiments, they recuperate faster this way.

BTW, I bet your units ended up disabled because you did not prepair them for the landing spot. Amphib operations can only go w/o preparations in one case - for Japan till end of March 42

That's the ideal but in many instances not practical. I've found using reserve and/or dividing a unit will also help but care should be taken in case your attacked.
Major Shane

Post by Major Shane »

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

Though personal experience, be careful when you split out your units. Look carefully and make sure upgrade is off on all 3 sub-units, A/B/C. If you don't it is likely one sub-unit will upgrade but the other one or two won't due to a lack of available squads. You can't recombine them if all squads and systems aren't the same.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

I cannot find specific info about how quickly units will repair disabled units. For instance I landed 4 divisions just above Suva so that they could not use CDs on me and they moved several units to meet me and a lot of my units are disabled. What rate to units repair? Is it a factor of supply, support, presence of enemy units, or proximity to friendly base in supply? Thanks in advance.

All AE questions which assume a precise spread sheet type answer will be provided, an answer which will in fact disclose actual algorithms, are a waste of time.

Details on the relevant factors which are taken into account in repairing disabled devices are provided in my posts in this thread.

tm.asp?m=4376273&mpage=1&key=&#4390317

Fatigue and disruption are conditions separate but often precedent in creating/resolving disablements. Splitting LCUs into 3 sub units does not directly assist in repairing disabled devices. Subject to various factors which I have previously posted, splitting a LCU may speed up the receipt of replacement devices.

Alfred
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: Major Shane
Though personal experience, be careful when you split out your units. Look carefully and make sure upgrade is off on all 3 sub-units, A/B/C. If you don't it is likely one sub-unit will upgrade but the other one or two won't due to a lack of available squads. You can't recombine them if all squads and systems aren't the same.
It's good practice in this regard to stockpile all the modern devices in the Allies' pools by default. And free them up only when you have units in position prepared to upgrade those devices, and there is enough devices, and there is no other units in compromising upgrade-yes while resting.

Note that A/B/C splitting is essential for Allies when upgrading infantry divisions' (US, Indian, Australian and Brits) squads. New inf squads are slow to come by, but old squads go into pools and upgrade to the new type the next turn. So if you have enough squads for a regiment, you can upgrade a whole division in 3 turns. Does not work with devices ofc, old ones do not upgrade in the pools.

ORIGINAL: Alfred
Splitting LCUs into 3 sub units does not directly assist in repairing disabled devices.
Apprently it does.
See tm.asp?m=4211316, test batch #4, main finding #3
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

I have seen highest rates of LCu repair, when the number of support squads present was higher then the number of support squads needed. The only units who have ample "spare" support squads in their TOE, and can assiste in repairing other LCUs, are HQs and some BFs. Also, some badly mauled combat LCUs have a high proportion of ready support squads to other devices and can be used as "hospital" units ( this happens a lot with beaten Chinese inf corps) Thus, the best thing is to move an HQ or several HQs to a hex where disabled LCUs are to speed their repair process.
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

...Subject to various factors which I have previously posted, splitting a LCU may speed up the receipt of replacement devices.

Alfred

Logic would suggest (to me) that this is because it is a smaller unit, ergo satisfies the requirement that the number of units being upgraded to becomes =/> the split unit's TOE. Correct?
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Each subunit has the chance to get devices so there are more devices possibly given when it is broken up than when intact.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
&#8213; Julia Child

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Landing in a non base malaria hex that you couldn't prep for was the worst choice you could have made.

This guaranteed you would have overwhelming disablements that will take forever to recover.

Only hope of recovering in place is to land massive amounts of supply and insure you have a large overage of support squads that are not disabled themselves.

Even then it will be agonizingly slow. Lots of good advice here on how to maximize recovery, but someone needed to point out how poor a decision it was to avoid the casualties of a direct assault landing.
Hans

marc420

Post by marc420 »

I like the way this game thinks.... it seems like if you want your damaged marines to recover after a battle, you give them lots of alcohol (aka supplies), and bars and music halls (aka support), with lots of whorehouses (aka a large base). Do that and your marines will soon be on the road to recovery. :)
Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism. ~George Washington
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Yes, send them to the rear for I & I. [:D]

&#8213; Julia Child

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Yes, send them to the rear for I & I. [:D]
Inebriation and Infection?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

...Subject to various factors which I have previously posted, splitting a LCU may speed up the receipt of replacement devices.

Alfred

Logic would suggest (to me) that this is because it is a smaller unit, ergo satisfies the requirement that the number of units being upgraded to becomes =/> the split unit's TOE. Correct?

I think you have misinterpreted what I wrote.[:)]

The replacements I am referring are those to bring a unit up to its authorised TOE level. Upgrading devices is a different issue.

Read my posts in this thread for details on the replacement process.

tm.asp?m=3710936&mpage=1&key=replacement&#3711507

The upgrading process is handled in a different thread.

The size of a unit is not a factor in determining priority order. Splitting a unit merely creates more candidates for receipt of replacements but the standard criteria still need to be met.

Alfred
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Yes, send them to the rear for I & I.

Inebriation and Infection?

That is correct, Intoxication and Intercourse. The last can lead to infection - even a long lived parasite in the second one.

&#8213; Julia Child

Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

Alfred

I think you have misinterpreted what I wrote.[:)]

The replacements I am referring are those to bring a unit up to its authorised TOE level. Upgrading devices is a different issue.

Read my posts in this thread for details on the replacement process.

tm.asp?m=3710936&mpage=1&key=replacement&#65533;

The upgrading process is handled in a different thread.

The size of a unit is not a factor in determining priority order. Splitting a unit merely creates more candidates for receipt of replacements but the standard criteria still need to be met.

Alfred
Um... Ooops. My bad.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”