2by3+

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Neogodhobo

RE: 2by3+ SOVIET SIDE ONLY, German dont enter.

Post by Neogodhobo »

documents destroyed.
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

ORIGINAL: Darojax

Doctor King,

the 1st Shock Army (under Central Front command) is moving units to the west of Rybinsk Lake in preparation for the winter offensive, some of them are moving directly, some of them are using the rails where most Northern Front reserve units arrive. All these units are RED in color, so should be easy to distinguish. If you could please just leave them where they are that would be appreciated. : )

Thanks
Sorry, I stole one red guy. I'll send a good division back your way next turn.

My intent is to have 8th and 23rd hit the Finns for the next two turns, then slip left to push along the rail line towards Volkhov. The rail line marks the division between the Finnish and German sectors on my front. Hoping to advance at least ten hexes in that area by the end of December. Then we'll turn south and support First Shock by attacking west of the Rybinsk Reservoir in January. Hoping also to have the rail line connecting to the southern end of my front repaired by that point.
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

I'm assuming you are intending to attack east of the Rybinsk Reservoir as indicated on your map. West is my side and I will be picking up there in five turns or so. Right now, I'm pushing some newly-arrived recruit divisions down there as the Germans have been attacking. I don't expect them to make much progress as those units were in poor supply status during the mud turns.
Mamluke

Post by Mamluke »

Comrades, I want to propose that at the beginning of turn 23, we reset all refit status to normal, and deliberate what should get refit and what shouldn't get it.

I know this a micro intensive, but it can pay nice dividends for turn 25.

What I had in mind was:

Highest priority:

Any Guards units; all good and decent(experience = or » 30) rifle divisions.

Priority: 3 armies worth in the Center

low priority: 1 armies worth in North; South.

if the Center only needs 2 armies worth or less in refit, then North and South can get 2 army refits each.

what do you guys think?
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

I'm going to be fighting by that point anyway. I've pushed my better corps forward as the Axis are attacking in my sector.
Darojax

Post by Darojax »

Doctor King,

the 1st Shock Army will be attacking west of the reservoir and pushing south along Volga river, as ordered by Comrade Stalin. It's not my decision, unless there is some misunderstanding on my part.
Darojax

Post by Darojax »

As in regards to your suggestion Mamluke, I'll go along with whatever Neo decides.
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

Yes, Darojax, and I will send you one good division next turn by rail to make up for the one I stole last turn. Sorry, I didn't get the memo until later. As regards the Rybinsk Reservoir situation, do you want me to attack down there in support of your operations immediately? I'm not set up for it but there are a couple of weak spots I think I could threaten. In my turn, I did attack a couple of regiments and threaten to cut off a division. Maybe that will cause him to detach some troops from your front and sent them my way. He attacked just west of the reservoir and I retreated a hex. Maybe he will push forward and put his head into a noose? Probably too much to hope for, but our new Axis opponent on the northern front does seem aggressive.
Darojax

Post by Darojax »

[○quote]do you want me to attack down there in support of your operations immediately?[/quote]

By all means go ahead. Your intent sounds good!
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

I wonder where their front boundary is?
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

Always a good idea to push at the boundary between two jurisdictions so as to confuse the enemy's response.
Neogodhobo

Post by Neogodhobo »

Marshal Dr. King, you were given General Krivoshein instead of Moskalenko. He his better in every way.

Special Hoorah to the 2/69 IAP, who successfully destroyed 29 German airplanes.

thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

Cool thanks.

Oh, I talked to SparkleyTits (Axis northern front in this game) and he told me that their front boundary is Moscow. So our push should fall along their jurisdictional boundary. I didn't make any revelations to him.

Order of battle info: he is extremely aggressive and very willing to sacrifice troops for time. I have been able to punish him effectively in our two-player game when he gets too far out in front. So bait some traps for him that will draw him forward.
Mamluke

Post by Mamluke »

putting this here to better record things, the forums is better in that regard capered Discord.

IN REGARDS TO TURN 31:

Cavalry:
for the Cavalry, refit is several times more important then infantry
the game system only builds 200 cav squads in the refit phase.
and another 200 in the normal logistics phase
+ the cav squads that where damage in the previous turn
and since every rifle division demands at least 1 or 2 cav squads, the refit phase is the only realistic chance for cav corps to build up strength.(edited)
don't leave cav corps on the front for too long, they will get depleted.
I would also want to build more cav corps in the future, but after the offensive. when demand for cav squads goes down a bit.

Strategic Intentions for February:
hey Guys, I want to talk about the strategic plans for February onwards
the Red Army has made a remarkable recovery and was able to push hard consedering the situation.
however, the truth is that our army as remain below 4.7 million men and 49K guns since the winter despite taking "reasonable losses" by Soviet standards(edited)
for the South, I achieved my main objectives:
1- forward defense of Rostov and able to fortify the Don and Donest river.(edited)
2 - secured the Entire Don river line up to Voronezh (mostly)(edited)
3 - Crimea being a active theater
4 - securing a the tambov pocket.
-
to be blunt, the reason the South is seeing such success is because the Germans were very reluctant to use Motorize divisions and refuse to send out panzer divisions
not to mention keeping very high quality Infantry in the back.
coming February, that is going to change, drastically.
in one of my games vs Sparkly tits(axis), I played my winter offensive well, however as it it March, the Germans lost the 1st winter penalties and went on the offensive. he caught the red army with its pants down and the Soviet front in the South disintegrated. and I had about 5 Million men, a much stronger army then in this game.
-
NEVER underestimate the Germans in 1942 is what am saying.
so in February I want to stop the offensive and begging preparing for defense. It's a shame I won't be able to recapture Voronezh, but building fortifications is more important.
as for the North, I also think it has stretch the front very well! tying down many German divisions. however we should stop attacking here and spare manpower and resources to enlarge the red army.
as for the center, the Moscow front. if able, perhaps the offensive should still continue.
Neogodhobo

Post by Neogodhobo »

I miss our soviet portrait that we do not get in discord. haha.

Thanks for the post, even if its 12 december now and I just seen it.
Beria

2by3+ Soviet Side

Post by Beria »

Thankyou Erik for moving the Soviet AAR to the right forums!

Also thankyou for Neogodhobo who was Supreme Commander from the beginning to turn 37. I know we were only able to chat briefly so hope one day we can touch base again. I have taken over as Supreme Commander of the 2by3+ Soviet team from turn 38 onwards. I also have to thank Mamluke a lot for taking me through the situation - particularly the pointers on cavalry and the arms points situation. Darojax also appreciate what you pointed me to. All of the original players from the start have left the game. At the start of turn 38 there were two ongoing Soviet players and two new guys including myself. I will have to update the information here which is now very old. I have only just been able to pick up on the Soviet 2by3+ Discord server so am reading through it now to update myself! Perhaps it would have been better before we started getting these last turns out so quickly

Anyone who wants to join the game should express their interest in the sign up thread tm.asp?m=4340173. This also gives all the rules of the game. If you are sure you are only interested in the Soviet side you could also pop your interest here too - or even drop me a message. There is a reserve list now, but the history of the game is people do come and go so you could probably join pretty quickly.
Gary Grigsby Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

Return to “After Action Reports”