Snatching Victory from the Jaws of De Feet

After Action Reports
larryfulkerson

RE: Snatching Victory from the Jaws of De Feet

Post by larryfulkerson »

I turned on "all objective tracks" and was gratified to see that there's PO tracks for me to use so I think what I'll do is modify the objective tracks for my formations and see if Elmer can break the log jam. I'll use an "Elmer with assist" method for the game. A lot less micromanagement that way.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (494.32 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I've received the 2nd Armored Division as reinforcements and I've floated them to the peninsula and I'm going to move them to replace the airborne on the front lines so I can put the paratroopers back on an airfield and fly them again. I have no idea where I will fly them to but I'm hoping it'll be somewhere useful. Maybe somewhere behind enemy lines. And then I'd have to advance to where they are to rescue them. So it would have to be someplace close to where there are already troops nearby. And it doesn't have to be in the Cherbourg peninsula.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (542.2 KiB) Viewed 185 times
2clicks

Post by 2clicks »

Another turn of moving freely was great. Checking battle results it seems my AA is doing its bit in battles and my own planes as well are shooting things down I think which is helpful. I'm becoming a little bolder with a few probing attacks against the American Paras in the north and the troops moving up to support should hopefully be useful especially with the 2nd armoured on the way.

Just found out I have railway guns! Most likely useless but something to get attached to. That and my (terrible) bicycle infantry.
I'm also trying to use my SS to counterattack to slow down the push across the map to let my new arriving troops get up and into position. This scenario seems quite tricky to keep the imitative as the Germans in anything more than small areas but we will see. Not confident but definitely learning on the job.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's what it looks like now and there's still no connection between the far west beaches and the next set of beaches to the east. The Germans are being stubborn about giving up that set of bridges. I've been bombarding it with the aircraft and pounding it with arty and still no go. I suppose it will eventually give way. I may have to go around them and attack from the south somehow. Some of my British units are getting too far out front and are in danger of getting cut off by the Germans. That's what happens when you let Elmer move your units. I'll do it by hand for a while to adjust the mistakes in deployment. And I went to a lot of trouble adjusting the objectives too.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (445.78 KiB) Viewed 185 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: 2clicks
Another turn of moving freely was great.
My planes are stuck in that donut hole where they are green to start the turn but turn yellow sometime during the turn so I can't set them on INT missions at the end of the turn because I'm using the red green yellow rule for the units. So you're getting a lot of free movement lately. I'm going to have to break down and actually rest the planes a couple of turns to get them over the hump they are stuck on.
Checking battle results it seems my AA is doing its bit in battles and my own planes as well are shooting things down I think which is helpful. I'm becoming a little bolder with a few probing attacks against the American Paras in the north and the troops moving up to support should hopefully be useful especially with the 2nd armoured on the way.
You finally got some planes, good for you. Now we can have some furballs.
Just found out I have railway guns! Most likely useless but something to get attached to. That and my (terrible) bicycle infantry.
I haven't found the RR guns all that helpful since it has to travel along the rails and sometimes the rail doesn't follow the fighting. Sometimes the guns lack the range to be ultimately useful.
I'm also trying to use my SS to counterattack to slow down the push across the map to let my new arriving troops get up and into position. This scenario seems quite tricky to keep the imitative as the Germans in anything more than small areas but we will see. Not confident but definitely learning on the job.
You're doing great Andrew. You're better at this than you realize. You're also smarter than you look.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's the supply situation in the Cherbourg peninsula and as you can plainly see it's fine and is steady so it's a mature supply net and isn't changing any more except at the fringes perhaps. I'm sending the 2nd Armored Division to the east to replace the 82nd AB and the 9th Inf Div to the north to replace the 101st AB. I want to get the airborne divisions back to England to fly them again. I suppose I could let them rest until they are 150% in supply before they launch.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (580.21 KiB) Viewed 185 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

This is typical of what Andrew does on his turn(s). Some of his attacks are rather sharp.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (514.55 KiB) Viewed 185 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I've been giving all the planes the generic standard 80 hexes and as you can see from this image that's not quite enough to reach all the German airfields at the bottom right of the map. I'm going to have to bump up all the AS planes so they can reach them if I'm going to get any furballs going from turn to turn. I'll put the fighter-bombers at 105 and all the twin-engine bombers at 107 and all the AS planes I'll put at 110 and we'll see how that fits things.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (386.25 KiB) Viewed 185 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I've decided to code the type of the plane as the range so I can tell at a glance what kind of plane I'm dealing with by scanning it's range. This is when I'm assigning missions etc. You wouldn't want to put a Spitfire on CS missions because it's not so great at that. It IS a really good AS platform. As is the Mustang. The Mustang and P-47 are really good at CS missions and the P-38 is pretty good at most anything it tries to do. And there are British aircraft analogs of the American ones. The Typhoon is good at ground support.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (620.2 KiB) Viewed 185 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Elements of the 1st Inf Div have pushed south almost to Saint Lo and I've found it fortified with Germans and so I'm wondering if I ought to pull back and gather with the rest of the units. This German group is capable of causing great gobs of green greasy trouble. I'd best form a front line and everything. Andrew might get adventuresome and try something unfortunate. I think maybe I ought to defend in this area for a little while. Other units are on their way, they just aren't here yet.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (589.9 KiB) Viewed 185 times
2clicks

Post by 2clicks »

Well there are 118 less allied aircraft now. How quickly do they make these flying machines because they are getting really frustrating. Another frustration I am having is trying to use units correctly in the correct situations and terrain. A bit more forward planning perhaps.

Anyway I shall channel my inner General Luigi Cadorna and press on to try and slow the allied advance. I do not like the large gap in the middle and the counter attacks aren't going to slow down the advance at all. The new reinforcements hopefully will bolster the defences and slow down the Allies. The bocage will most likely help with this along with the paratroops that turned up.

The Allies paras leaving the line worries me greatly. I feel stretched as it is never mind an airborne pocket appearing. Survive and adapt!
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Hers's the T12 front lines. The troops pushing south have reached the poor terrain south of the beaches and the advance has stalled. The front line may be in this configuration for a while yet.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (410.16 KiB) Viewed 185 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's the west side. The 4th and 90th divisions are pressing to the north and progress is especially slow. More German reinforcements are arriving from the far south and more are on their way.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (537.78 KiB) Viewed 185 times
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

Hi Guys,

I'm enjoying your battle. Larry, you are doing really well around Caen. Also, I love your ideas about the 101st and 82nd. I never considered using them for a second para drop....

Andrew,

You might have an opportunity to attack the Allied forces just SW of Caen. If you could get even a small breakout, you might threaten their supply. Just a thought.

Have fun,
Mike

Retired Gunner
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's the T15 front lines. I'm going to do a major reorganization of the configuration of the units.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (401.15 KiB) Viewed 185 times
2clicks

Post by 2clicks »

I thought I would try some different tactics over the next few turns to see what works and what doesn't. Direct air attacks I am not sold on but INT missions and air superiority seems to be getting me more what I'm wanting. Although I am playing to win it still is very much a learning experience. As it is a PBEM I think the size is ok where as if I had being playing solo I might have felt overwhelmed, a lot like my troops on the ground.

I have tried some counter attacking moves and may have ran some units into trouble.we will see how that turns out and if I can rescue them or there will be a lot of nice tanks missing.

The big gap in the centre seems to be filling, both myself and the Allies seem to have noticed the gap and are pushing up troops quickly. The minimum air attacks have allowed me to use the railways again to quickly move men and equipment up to where is required much quicker.

Another question for you all, if I set my units on minimise losses the 1 dot setting will that mean that they withdraw sooner allwoing me to have a fighting withdraw. I don't want to try pulling them out of the line so that should mean they fall back under much less pressure?
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I thought I would try some different tactics over the next few turns to see what works and what doesn't.
There you go....that's the spirit. Don't be afraid to try risky things too.
Direct air attacks I am not sold on but INT missions and air superiority seems to be getting me more what I'm wanting.
INT missions are supply hogs, CS isn't quite as bad on supply, and AS is the least costly mission. I've found that to be the case in my games, YMMV. The use of the direct air attacks is to put the air power especially where you want it. I sometimes use direct air missions to ensure that some CS is flown for sure. Direct air attacks use the full strength of the unit for their attacks and the CS mission uses half of the strength but can fly more than one time per combat phase. I assume that you have trimmed the range of your aircraft units to match the map. Any overlap with the off-map areas is wasted search area. Overlap on the map isn't a bad thing.
Although I am playing to win it still is very much a learning experience. As it is a PBEM I think the size is ok where as if I had being playing solo I might have felt overwhelmed, a lot like my troops on the ground.
And we're all here to help you. Answer your questions and offer suggestions and reveal tips to help you. Also, to reveal the traps that can trip you up. Overlord '44 is one of those scenarios that has a tactical feel to it. I like that. We can switch sides whenever you want to of course.
I have tried some counter attacking moves and may have ran some units into trouble.we will see how that turns out and if I can rescue them or there will be a lot of nice tanks missing.
This sounds like you're trying things to see what works. Good for you. This is the game where we can try things. I've never done it before but I'm going to try to run the paratroopers back to England and see if I can't drop them somewhere else. A second paradrop.
The big gap in the centre seems to be filling, both myself and the Allies seem to have noticed the gap and are pushing up troops quickly. The minimum air attacks have allowed me to use the railways again to quickly move men and equipment up to where is required much quicker.
Yeah, I noticed that and the terrain is so poor I couldn't get into that area very easily and not very quickly, but yeah, it's filling up. And as for the lack of INT on the Allied side....I like to keep the planes with about 50% of supply at all times and if the aircraft unit is lower than that I rest it.
Also, all the yellow and orange and red ones are all on rest.
Another question for you all, if I set my units on minimise losses the 1 dot setting will that mean that they withdraw sooner allwoing me to have a fighting withdraw. I don't want to try pulling them out of the line so that should mean they fall back under much less pressure?
If you're trying to disengage from an enemy unit the losses setting should be on a one-dot setting I'm guessing because if it's on say, three dots then the losses will be higher upon the resolution of the disengagement combat. That's the theory. Maybe I should do some tests to see which setting has the least losses. Good question.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's the T16 front lines. There's still a gap in the lines.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (413.6 KiB) Viewed 185 times
AFBTD

Post by AFBTD »

Larry; am thinking on buying this game; hope that there is a chance of attach units to an HQ, (an reorganize) if not is extremly difficult to break paths

great document-AAr
mis amigos; EL FRENTE ATLETICO, LA PANDA DEL MOCO, OCHAITA FANS
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: AFBTD
Larry; am thinking on buying this game; hope that there is a chance of attach units to an HQ, (an reorganize) if not is extremly difficult to break paths

great document-AAr
I'm sorry Anton dude but the TO&E is fixed. There's no rearrangement of units from one HQ to another in TOAW. It's abstracted I'm guessing.

Return to “After Action Reports”