GD1938 v3

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

lion_of_judah

RE: GD1938 v3

Post by lion_of_judah »

thank you, it's just nice to know what is going on with this.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

was curious if Southern Russia is more important than any other front on the Russian front because the oil in the caucuses should be one of the major objectives in my opinion. If it is not, then why because the Romanian and Hungarian oil fields would not meet the needs of Germany, but the caucuses would.

Slow down. We have only just recently gone into the phase where we are looking at victory conditions, and balance. That being said Bombur came up with some, I think, very promising Victory Conditions, which I then refined, and are now being tested. As for Balance, Japan seems to be balanced just right, when it comes to oil and usage.

That being said there still are a lot of moving wheels that can be adjusted, before a version is sent out. We are trying to get it just right. While no-one has said of the current version that it is bad or terrible it could still need improvements.

Oh, and now you mentioned the Caucasus here is a picture of it, as it looks on the map currently.

Attachments
Causcasus.jpg
Causcasus.jpg (219.36 KiB) Viewed 322 times
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Some of you that have been following the AAR which Cpdeyoung is playing against Bombur might have noticed the large amounts of tanks that have been available to the Chinese. These are mostly not from the Chinese production, but from the Soviets. However the Soviets are not allied with the Chinese, so how is this done?

By action card!

The Soviets get a card called Operation Zet (pictured below). This was an actual Soviet operation, that was a transfer of equipment and "volunteers" to the Chinese during the early part of their war with China. The Soviets in this game too get that as an option, from the game's beginning.

In the earlier versions (and the one they are playing) the Soviets could transfer most any unit, as long as it was under 45 Power Points in value (the number on the counter, basically), and was in Alma Ata. The unit would then arrive in Lanchow, Urumchi or Kashgar depending which of those was available, in that order. The units would be manned by Chinese as well.

As you have probably noted there are quite a few heavy tanks in the Chinese field army. That is because Cpdeyoung used the card to transfer that kind of equipment. Something we had not anticipated... and probably one of the reasons for the stalemate in that war. As a consequence the card has changed.

Before it could be played each turn, now only every other turn. So if you used it the previous turn, you won't get it back the next turn, but first the turn after that. The amount of Power points have been set to 40 or lower, instead of 45, and the types of armored units that can be transferred has been limited to BT-7 types and armoured units that weight 50 or less. Transporting heavy equipment fast to China would have been hard anyway, but these lighter/faster vehicles might not have been a trouble transporting in on trucks, which they did i reality.

Here is the card:

Attachments
OperationZet.jpg
OperationZet.jpg (49.14 KiB) Viewed 322 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

The every other turn has proved to be a problem for the USA/China transfers as they pass thru the French. This means that double the PP to send US equipment to China 2 for the Americans and 2 for the French. Also the turns don't match up so equipment can stay in Hanoi for more than 1 turn as the French move before the Americans.

Noticed big difference in supplying China via cards...every other turn sure cuts the amount sent to China.

EDIT> Perhaps I should not have posted this here...too late..can't unpost.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Well, you have now.

Too bad, would have made a seperate post about the other cards helping China out.

Notice though they too have changed with the latest version. But I am getting ahead of myself.

There are 3 more cards that are worth discussing, when it comes to helping out China with material. Those are Burma Road, Hanoi Railroad and Ship to Hanoi.

Burma Road: The card allows shipping material to China, from Mandalay to Kunming in China. 40 Power points can be shipped every turn. However the route is not ideal for armor so units containing them cannot be selected (In earlier versions they could). The card appears each turn (instead of with a one turn delay).

Hanoi Railroad: The card allows the shipping of material from Hanoi (surpise!) to Kunming. It is available every turn (in earlier versions only every other turn). It is the way the French (and sometimes the US) can help the Chinese. 40 Power Points can be sent each turn (instead of a one turn delay).

Ship to Hanoi: Is the last of these cards. It can be played by the US, and sends materials to Hanoi, from San Francisco. 40 power points can be sent. The card when played, will first be available 2 turns later (instead of a delay of 1 turn). It is a long trip after all, and the US doesn't want to be caught supplying the Chinese with weapons, hence the middle man, that is needed (the French). 40 Power points can be sent.

That concludes this short introduction. No picture (cause Larry spoiled the surprise :P ).
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Another new feature of GD1938 v3 will be the addition of ways to increase the output of mines, oil wells and supply centers/complexes. There are three levels of increases. Each increase is 10%. So they are 10%, 20% and 30%.

These increases are done by researching a strategic research and there is a research category for each of the three types of supply producing sites. These are Mining, Refining and Excavation. Some of these require a certain year to have been reached to be able to research them. The upgrade to each mine, oil well and supply center/complex is automatic.

Here is a picture of the first upgrade to the mines: Strat - Mining I.

Attachments
Mining.jpg
Mining.jpg (53.8 KiB) Viewed 322 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
GrizzlyKt

Post by GrizzlyKt »

hi any news on releasing this please
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

hi any news on releasing this please

I cannot give a specific date.

What I can give you is a what is missing: That is officer profiles for the British, Americans and Chinese, and the manual is still incomplete. Currently play testing is focused on balancing and finding minor bugs. I think all the major bugs have been found.

Thanks for showing interest. It makes me want to do things even faster :)

• Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Like in GD1938 version 2, that is available for download already, and has been played a lot, diplomacy plays a major role in GD1938 version 3, as it should.

Feedback from some players indicated that they were not completely satisfied with the lack of overview that was present in version 2. That you had to use the card Investigate minor a lot to find out what was going on. Early on we heard those who expressed this dissatisfaction. Thus every turn, as part of the messages you receive you get a report on all the minor nations.

Each minor has a section, and that section looks like the picture below.

You read the report like this. First there is the name of the Minor. We can take Ireland as an example. The nation who has the most diplomatic points at the moment (or Irelands best friend) is the country mentioned in ( ) after the name of it. So in this case France. Next there is the Status of Ireland, which is your current diplomatic points for that minor (higher is better). The drift is mentioned below that which is the number of diplomatic points you gain each turn you play. Finally there is the stability, which is an evaluation of how likely a coup is to happen in that Minor.

The report isn't dynamic, but whenever you take an action that could affect your standing, drift, or the minors stability, you will get a message about it. So now there is a complete overview of the diplomacy for all nations.

Attachments
Diplomacy.jpg
Diplomacy.jpg (52.22 KiB) Viewed 322 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Time again for an update (or Lion of Judah will come after me!) ;)

This time it is something that even most of the testers haven't heard about yet. Some 10 days ago I added what you can see in this little screenshot.

It is a way to track who is winning.

There are some inbuilt victory conditions, but I'd rather not, in this update mention what those are. Just know that the Axis, Communists and Allies each can win, according to those... but there is nothing preventing a player to play on beyond the point of the announcement of a victor.

Let's go over what this actually says. Starting by looking at Germany. First there is an account of how many Victory Points that Germany has (138), then there is a percentage number, which is the amount of starting "own peopled" territory that is owned. In Germany's case this is 100% (note that for China it's only 48%). Finally it says how the people you have feel about this... Once this number goes below 50% then it becomes "Broken", which will play a role in how Victory is determined too. Finally there will be a dash ( -) where it says if the nation is Active, which means it is part of the War.

Below it all is the Axis, Communist and Allied Victory Points. The first number mentioned is the amount of victory points that active regimes in each faction has. The second number is the total amount of victory points that the faction has in total.

Now, these can all be used to determine which player is the winner, either by going with the games victory conditions, or by playing until the settings you want are achieved.
Attachments
Victorystatus.jpg
Victorystatus.jpg (144.27 KiB) Viewed 325 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

*See previous post*
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

It's too bad we cannot update our test games with this new stuff.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Yeah, I know, but that's just the way it is.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
gazfun

Post by gazfun »

This looks real good Claus be glad to use the new updated version
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

Wow! This looks very interesting.

No matter what else, one has to say that the amount of work that went into this is obvious (i.e., a *lot*), and the result is already something fantastic.
Matrix Games video tutorials:
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
GrizzlyKt

Post by GrizzlyKt »

hi any idea on a release on this as the 1st post was posted on GD1938 v3 - 5/28/2017 5:14:08 PM seems to have been a long time ago thank you for any help
bluesteel

Post by bluesteel »

Looks awesome however can not find the link to download it; help?
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: tortugapower
Wow! This looks very interesting.

No matter what else, one has to say that the amount of work that went into this is obvious (i.e., a *lot*), and the result is already something fantastic.

Thank you very much! :) It means a lot. Unfortunately I don't think this will make a very good let's play video :)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: GrizzlyKt

hi any idea on a release on this as the 1st post was posted on GD1938 v3 - 5/28/2017 5:14:08 PM seems to have been a long time ago thank you for any help

I expect it to be released fairly soon. I am running what I hope to be the final test game. With a little luck it might be very soon :)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: bluesteel

Looks awesome however can not find the link to download it; help?

Like the Matrix post said that probably brought you here, this is not yet released. So no download yet. I'll get it out as soon as I can :)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”