OT: Update on Collision

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rusty1961

OT: Update on Collision

Post by Rusty1961 »

God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
MakeeLearn

RE: OT: Update on Collision

Post by MakeeLearn »

Attachments
47cf58.jpg
47cf58.jpg (113.57 KiB) Viewed 474 times

spence

Post by spence »

Although it appears that Lt Combs was unconscionably derelict in her duties in the CIC she was not alone there. The Tactical Action Officer, also a Lt and presumably male (FN: Idrian) was there as well as a number of enlisted watch-standers. Perhaps it is just "The New Navy" but in my day aboard ship the average enlisted man would have had no qualms about saying "Hey, pull your heads out of your @sses, SIRS!" a goodly while prior to collision.

Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

ORIGINAL: spence

Although it appears that Lt Combs was unconscionably derelict in her duties in the CIC she was not alone there. The Tactical Action Officer, also a Lt and presumably male (FN: Idrian) was there as well as a number of enlisted watch-standers. Perhaps it is just "The New Navy" but in my day aboard ship the average enlisted man would have had no qualms about saying "Hey, pull your heads out of your @sses, SIRS!" a goodly while prior to collision.

The correct terminology from my day in the navy would be:

“With all due respect sir; pull your head out of your @ss”

The problem I think is time. Naval Officers these days are trained to be fully proficient in climate change, race relations, sexual harassment, transgender and LGBT studies, politically correct speech, women’s empowerment studies, cultural appropriation and cultural sensitivity.

They just don’t have the time to study basic seamanship.

That as well as the fact that an officer has to spend a lot of time thinking carefully about what they say
when one slight off color remark can can trigger someone and end their naval career.

As an example if an officer on bridge watch was to say something like:
“Hey, I just got a new optical sight for my AR-15 rifle and its a real beauty”.

A remark like that could trigger the entire bridge crew and they may curl up into the full fetal position and begin to whine and cry. That could cause a collision.

"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Amazing that we never had collisons before women started taking charge eh?
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

In my WitP:AE games I do get collisions and I doubt there are any women on board. [;)]
pbiggar

Post by pbiggar »

I thought this site was for talking about the most awesome WWII Pacific War game in history and other equally cool stuff?
Let’s all go and play another turn and close this thread.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

ORIGINAL: spence

The correct terminology from my day in the navy would be:

“With all due respect sir; pull your head out of your @ss”

The problem I think is time. Naval Officers these days are trained to be fully proficient in climate change, race relations, sexual harassment, transgender and LGBT studies, politically correct speech, women’s empowerment studies, cultural appropriation and cultural sensitivity.

They just don’t have the time to study basic seamanship.

That as well as the fact that an officer has to spend a lot of time thinking carefully about what they say
when one slight off color remark can can trigger someone and end their naval career.

As an example if an officer on bridge watch was to say something like:
“Hey, I just got a new optical sight for my AR-15 rifle and its a real beauty”.

A remark like that could trigger the entire bridge crew and they may curl up into the full fetal position and begin to whine and cry. That could cause a collision.

[8|]

There is far too much tinfoil in these parts.

ORIGINAL: Encircled

I certainly can't remember any.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

So, you have to wonder if the crew set the OOD up. As others have noted, there were likely at least 5 other naval personnel who should have been aware. Either collectively they were all texting when they should have had "eyes out" (our terminology for being aware of the space in which you are operating) or …

To say such things don't happen is to ignore both history and human nature. I'm of the age where I witnessed the 'integration' of other minority groups into the general flow and, very sorry to say, I was witness to any mumber of rather poor behaviors on the part of individuals who otherwise were excellent people.

I wasn't there, so I cannot possibly know. But the evidence publically presented is not passing the 'sniff' test.

Having reached this conclusion, the solution is anything but easy or obvious. Trust is earned, not ordered. And when you are talking about teams where the collective team's lives are on the line, well ... That the bar for this OOD is likely higher than someone else isn't fair, but it is also the price of admission (sadly). Historically, this has been the path and there doesn't appear to be an easier way. Hopefully in 10 years or so, this particular minority will be fully integrated.

Pax
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

BBs Washington and Indiana collided on Feb.1, 1944 :

At 0415, the Indiana’s Captain, James M. Steele, made an unannounced turn to starboard which put the warship on a collision course with the battleship USS Washington. Despite the efforts of the Washington to change course, the two ships collided. The Indiana had 200 feet of armor plating scraped away, while the Washington suffered a collapsed bow. Six sailors from the Washington and four from the Indiana were killed in the accident. Captain Steele was later found responsible by a Court of Inquiry and was removed from command in March. Both ships were forced to return to Pearl Harbor for extensive repairs.

EDIT: and CV JFK collided with USS Belknap: https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instan ... rrier.html

EDIT2: and then there is this list from the NY Times, which does not even go back to WWII: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/21/us/n ... erald.html

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

At 0415, the Indiana’s Captain, James M. Steele, made an unannounced turn to starboard which put the warship on a collision course with the battleship USS Washington. Despite the efforts of the Washington to change course, the two ships collided. The Indiana had 200 feet of armor plating scraped away, while the Washington suffered a collapsed bow. Six sailors from the Washington and four from the Indiana were killed in the accident. Captain Steele was later found responsible by a Court of Inquiry and was removed from command in March. Both ships were forced to return to Pearl Harbor for extensive repairs.

EDIT: and CV JFK collided with USS Belknap: https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instan ... rrier.html

EDIT2: and then there is this list from the NY Times, which does not even go back to WWII: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/21/us/n ... erald.html

All of those 'never were any' comments were sarcasm.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

All of those 'never were any' comments were sarcasm.

Yeah, I was being facetious.

I had a thought that maybe I should've made each individual word a link to a separate incident that occurred without involving any female officers.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Yeah, I was being facetious.

I had a thought that maybe I should've made each individual word a link to a separate incident that occurred without involving any female officers.

That would have been very cool!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
jamesjohns

Post by jamesjohns »

Let’s stick to the game and avoid politics, plenty of other places on internet for it
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

This kind of misogynistic , slanted writing is not worth posing here. What point are you trying to make? Women are not up to the job? Why don't you look up Tammie Jo Shults and tell me female Navy officers are not up to the job. Unfortunately I didn't see the name of the propaganda organization that started the smear job...the junk paper Washington Times, until the end of the article. The the nitwit author posts this as absolute fact "Another fun fact: In the Navy that won WWII, the damage control officers were usually some of the biggest and strongest men aboard" while offering no back up whatsoever except his opinion. I guess he failed to mention what ship he served on in WWII and what battles he saw these giant damage control perform these heroic actions. I really expect more from this forum and don't know how the mods missed this. I have not had to block a member in a long time, but unfortunately....I had to block the original poster. We are better than this. grind your ax elsewhere
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
jamesjohns

Post by jamesjohns »

Thank you for posting JohnDillworth. I agree with your post and that this board and the vast majority of posters are better than this
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Ooo, I know where axes can be ground!

Zorch

Post by Zorch »

Can you bury hatchets there, too?
Dili

Post by Dili »

https://news.usni.org/2018/06/06/navy-s ... -knowledge
Navy Study Finds Junior SWOs Have Major Gaps in Seamanship, Ship Handling Knowledge

“Of the 164 officers assessed, only 27 Completed No Concerns, 108 Completed Some Concerns and 29 had Significant Concerns. In short, this confirms we have work to do.”

The study also found that the practical application of the maritime rules of the road was a deficiency in the junior officers quizzed. While 91 percent passed the written test, “more than half of the officers assessed struggled to correctly apply rules of the road during encounters in the scenario,”

Not surprising, even if they were all men, when PC takes over being pious(political replaces religious in this case) is the name of the game.
FlyByKnight

Post by FlyByKnight »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Can you bury hatchets there, too?
I'm sure there's a mod for that.
ORIGINAL: Big B

The obvious question is - "Will each shell do at least 0ne Million Dollars worth of damage?" If not, someone needs to look at this again and rethink it.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”