Good book on Submarine Tactics?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

jreynol2

Good book on Submarine Tactics?

Post by jreynol2 »

Just curious if anyone has come across something that provides some technical/tactical information, without being a dry textbook.

Thanks!
stilesw

RE: Good book on Submarine Tactics?

Post by stilesw »

jreynol2,

Might find something here: https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... oU-ukGRV3g

-Wayne Stiles
“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)
jreynol2

Post by jreynol2 »

I'll try not to be insulted that you just linked me to a google search [;)]

I was hoping someone had read a book and could recommend one. Haven't been able to find much.
stilesw

Post by stilesw »

jreynol2

Sorry, definitely no offense intended. Just wanted to provide the option as some folks do not have the same level of research savvy.

-Wayne Stiles
“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)
TheOttoman

Post by TheOttoman »

So here's a couple of things that may help out.... they are however, kinda textbooky

Knowledgeable Opponent Models for Enemy Submarine Tactics in Training Simulators
http://www.dtic.mil/docs/citations/ADA076236

Submarines Against Submarines (selected ARticles ) - This is originally sourced Russian and translated
http://www.dtic.mil/docs/citations/ADA079932

Convoy Protection under Multi-Threat Scenario
http://www.dtic.mil/docs/citations/AD1046597

Pretty much anything on "Undersea Tactics", "Undersea Warfare" "Submarine Tactics" from the DTIC site
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

Milan Vego's Soviet Naval Tactics has some decent stuff on submarine tactics and ASW; however it is very textbook-y. Unfortunately there's not much between stuff aimed at kids and stuff aimed at pros.
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

I don't have the book, but maybe "Submarine (Tom Clancy's Military Reference)" might have a chapter on tactics. I think it's mostly on equipment and life on a sub. Someone here probably has it and can make a recco. His stuff is written for the general public and may be too simple. Just a thought .

Kevin
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

I guess it depends on what you mean by tactics. Real submarine tactics are very abstract and technical, because they depend a lot on the particulars of the equipment, geometry, mathematics, physics and oceanography. A lot of those particulars aren't really captured by the game. The basics are there, though, and a lot can be figured out just by thinking hard about the logic of how a fight progresses.
TheOttoman

Post by TheOttoman »

In the grossest sense, undersea warfare is essentially listening for contacts, prosecuting those contacts as either friendly or hostile, and acting based on the contact (fight or flight) all while operating as quietly as the localized conditions will allow.

How you do accomplish that is a varied as the waters you operate in.
i224747

Post by i224747 »

The level of knowledge of the late 1910 years...

At the latest since the successful search for the lost scorpion heavy mathematical methods (theory of optimal search, theory of hide and seek etc...)
have come on to the submarine scene and have substituted the common sense and intuition.
MikeBrough

Post by MikeBrough »

I've got this one in hardback. A combination of history and tactics.

http://Submarine Versus Submarine. The Tactics & Technology Of Underwater Confrontation
Mike Brough
Proud to be an Arab

Be sceptical of the things you believe are false; be very sceptical of the things you believe are true.
stolypin

Post by stolypin »

ORIGINAL: apache85

Milan Vego's Soviet Naval Tactics has some decent stuff on submarine tactics and ASW; however it is very textbook-y. Unfortunately there's not much between stuff aimed at kids and stuff aimed at pros.

I bought that book over 25 years ago when I was playing a lot of Harpoon. Then, a few years later, not anticipating the appearance of Command a mere two decades in the future, I sold it. Now I see new hardcover editions of it on Amazon for over $1,000!

[:(]

Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

I was very lucky to get it as a hardcover for ~$100 AUD about two years ago. I'd wanted it since I was in high school so was ecstatic to get hold of it.

The occasional reasonably priced one does pop up every now and then.
TheOttoman

Post by TheOttoman »

ORIGINAL: stolypin

ORIGINAL: apache85

I bought that book over 25 years ago when I was playing a lot of Harpoon. Then, a few years later, not anticipating the appearance of Command a mere two decades in the future, I sold it. Now I see new hardcover editions of it on Amazon for over $1,000!

[:(]

https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=s ... 520tactics
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

Regarding Soviet Naval Tactics, look on the Naval Institute Press' website. It's very often cheaper to get it through them directly.
TheOttoman

Post by TheOttoman »

ORIGINAL: SeaQueen

Regarding Soviet Naval Tactics, look on the Naval Institute Press' website. It's very often cheaper to get it through them directly.
Agreed, and I've been known to do that. I use bookfinder to get my Janes books at almost pennies on the dollar.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”