My house is on fire-NJP (J) vs NY59 Giants (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

njp72

RE: My house is on fire-NJP (J) vs NY59 Giants (A)

Post by njp72 »

Oz- took Perth after a bit of a fight and then moved to the east coast of Oz.

Nothing too drastic but did engage in some low risk strat bombing to make the score board look a bit better [:D]

Attachments
Perth.gif
Perth.gif (329.31 KiB) Viewed 151 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Oz- continued

Attachments
ECAustralia.gif
ECAustralia.gif (292.8 KiB) Viewed 151 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Manilla- the final fight now occurring.

The Allies abandoned everything and dug in at Manilla. I am hitting them with BB bombardments every 2nd or 3rd. Approx 100K of Allied troops here who will last another 2 to 3 weeks.

Michael was surprised I would use BBs to blow them out of this position because of the damage to the industry. In reality I was never ever going to get of rid of them with out resorting to massive force.

Attachments
Manila.gif
Manila.gif (254.01 KiB) Viewed 151 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Fiji- dear God the pain. A simple smash and grab which has led to considerable agony.

Akagi took two Torps but she continued to burn and her engines were shot. I try to put into the nearest port but of course the Allies were waiting for that and boom[:(] Michael doesn't miss with his subs.

Meanwhile 20K + of IJA troops are stranded whilst I contemplate on withdrawal or a full on assault. Unfortunately not too many troops are currently available due to Manilla which is limiting my options.

Attachments
Fiji.gif
Fiji.gif (237.88 KiB) Viewed 151 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Some other defensive real estate I have seized and frantically digging in.

Attachments
ChristmasIs.gif
ChristmasIs.gif (207.37 KiB) Viewed 151 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

And some more: Midway is also heavily fortified now.

Attachments
Cocos.gif
Cocos.gif (262.32 KiB) Viewed 151 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Scoreboard: June 42

Well the Allies were off balance and I even sensed some despair coming into May 42, but through some good incompetence and dumb predictability on my behalf I have managed to allow Michael to well and truly regained his mojo and cause harm. Allied air and naval activity have increased dramatically once Akagi kissed the bottom of the ocean.

Number one issue at the moment is Fiji (reinforce or withdraw) and his ability to continue to hit my CVs with his subs (3 thus far, 1 dead).

My subs have been placed around the key terrain waiting for an opportunity to strike as he starts to go slowly on the offensive. Barely sighted anything thus far worth sinking.

Interesting time of the game but the easy times are now over. Good fun whilst they lasted [:D]

Attachments
Scoreboard.gif
Scoreboard.gif (239.7 KiB) Viewed 151 times
ITAKLinus

Post by ITAKLinus »

A couple of things:

1) apparently in the MOD Japan gets incredibly stronger than in standard Scen1. Is it possible to hold a part of your conquests in the mid-term ? (either India or Australia)
2) Manchukuo Garrison at 8862?! I mean, how have you achieved that? I'm in Scen1 a couple of months before you and I still have Manchurian Garrison intact due to PP limitations

Broadly speaking, if you haven't seen his unrestricted reinforcements divisions, he will counterattack somewhere. Or he's garrisoning heavily both P.H. and Karachi: since their loss would be a fatal blow

Autovictory seems quite close
Francesco
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: njp72
Thus far the Allies haven't played the game except to engage me aggressively with his subs.
What are your long-term plans for the aerial ASW?

There are mixed views among JFBs about the extent of usage of IJAF bombers for ASW duty. It is a given that IJAF bombers gradually lose efficiency in the primary role as war progresses and Allies get capable fighters. By 44 the most useful duty for the bulk of the rank and file of IJAF bombers might indeed be ASW and training for Peggy torps (edit: oh, yea, and Kami training). However, the beginning years are tough to call. Some JFBs advocate earmarking a lot of groups for ASW training from the beginning, foregoing faster advancement in China and elsewhere where you can bomb Allies unhindered in 41-42. But on the other hand in the mid 42 you will be able to fly 70 skill ASW Sallies/Helens over most of your active routes, dishing out pain.
njp72

Post by njp72 »

ORIGINAL: ITAKLinus

A couple of things:

1) apparently in the MOD Japan gets incredibly stronger than in standard Scen1. Is it possible to hold a part of your conquests in the mid-term ? (either India or Australia)
2) Manchukuo Garrison at 8862?! I mean, how have you achieved that? I'm in Scen1 a couple of months before you and I still have Manchurian Garrison intact due to PP limitations

Broadly speaking, if you haven't seen his unrestricted reinforcements divisions, he will counterattack somewhere. Or he's garrisoning heavily both P.H. and Karachi: since their loss would be a fatal blow

Autovictory seems quite close

Hi ITAK, yes the IJN has been strengthened (additional CVs and CVLs and surface combatants) in this mod but so has the USN, though not to the same extent.

In the air the IJN in particular will be stronger in 43.

From a ground perspective it is still only scenario 1 forces so there is only so many IJA divs and not the additional armoured units. I certainly can't take Karachi or Pearl now.

In this mod they have increased the daily PP accumulation which has allowed me to buy out the units in Manchuria quicker. Of course this will cut both ways so there is a stack of US inf Divs out there somewhere.

cheers

ITAKLinus

Post by ITAKLinus »

oh well more PPs are quite useful as Japanese since you can trash China and other funny places.

Allies do not really benefit from that from my point of view: they do not have the possibility to employ those units for offensive duties and since they are fighting overwhelming Jap units, they are at disadvantage no matter what they do.

In the long run, they also marginally benefit from having more naval assets since what they get is sufficient to mount multiple offensive. I do not think they can mount far more operations with more assets.

As far as I can understand you can maintain the strategic initiative well into 1943. On normal Scen1 I consider a strong success to maintain the initiative until JUN-1943 with the strongest offensive efforts ending in Fall '42

Francesco
uncivil_servant

Post by uncivil_servant »

Personally I think the only thing stopping you from taking all of India and Australia (and more) is yourself. You are limiting what you take as to not take too much too soon and your opponent go "No Mas". You're in February and can take all of India, Australia, and soon China as you have posted zero battles where you were pressed. I really don't think all those "extra" allied PPs used to buy out units that will disappear for North Africa is going to matter as they would have to make it to India and Oz to fight you.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
njp72

Post by njp72 »

ORIGINAL: GetAssista
ORIGINAL: njp72
Thus far the Allies haven't played the game except to engage me aggressively with his subs.
What are your long-term plans for the aerial ASW?

There are mixed views among JFBs about the extent of usage of IJAF bombers for ASW duty. It is a given that IJAF bombers gradually lose efficiency in the primary role as war progresses and Allies get capable fighters. By 44 the most useful duty for the bulk of the rank and file of IJAF bombers might indeed be ASW and training for Peggy torps (edit: oh, yea, and Kami training). However, the beginning years are tough to call. Some JFBs advocate earmarking a lot of groups for ASW training from the beginning, foregoing faster advancement in China and elsewhere where you can bomb Allies unhindered in 41-42. But on the other hand in the mid 42 you will be able to fly 70 skill ASW Sallies/Helens over most of your active routes, dishing out pain.

Howdy, I have always used IJA bombers extensively for ASW work especially the Sallies and Helens. Only in China are the IJA flying offensive ground strike missions.

It worked well around the Home Islands where the Allies have withdrawn their subs but on operations where I haven't yet established land based air coverage, Mike is stinging me hard. However once I am established, the subs move off to sting me somewhere else where land based air has not been deployed in depth.

Probably the most effective Allied player I have come across with regards to use of subs.
njp72

Post by njp72 »

ORIGINAL: ITAKLinus

oh well more PPs are quite useful as Japanese since you can trash China and other funny places.

Allies do not really benefit from that from my point of view: they do not have the possibility to employ those units for offensive duties and since they are fighting overwhelming Jap units, they are at disadvantage no matter what they do.

In the long run, they also marginally benefit from having more naval assets since what they get is sufficient to mount multiple offensive. I do not think they can mount far more operations with more assets.

As far as I can understand you can maintain the strategic initiative well into 1943. On normal Scen1 I consider a strong success to maintain the initiative until JUN-1943 with the strongest offensive efforts ending in Fall '42

Thanks Francesco, I agree I need to maintain the initiative at least through 42 if not early into 43. With new airframes entering service soon, I should have good superiority with regards to carrier air which should prevent the Allies from getting too ambitious [:)]
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Thanks for your feedback and part of me agrees with you.

Lack of troops and logistical issues are causing a pause at the moment. I have very few division left until I can wrap up Manilla. Based on sig int and sighting troop ships the Allies have heavily fortified Bombay and Karachi and there is no way I can take these two.

Australia offers more possibilities but again with what spare divisions? I could strip India bare but that would invite disaster and China is still full on.

I am pretty keen on digging in and consolidation some of the key real estate I have in the central Pacific including Midway and Johnstone Island.

Still until I can bring up fuel and supplies and relieve the situation and Fiji I am going nowhere fast. [:(]

ORIGINAL: uncivil_servant

Personally I think the only thing stopping you from taking all of India and Australia (and more) is yourself. You are limiting what you take as to not take too much too soon and your opponent go "No Mas". You're in February and can take all of India, Australia, and soon China as you have posted zero battles where you were pressed. I really don't think all those "extra" allied PPs used to buy out units that will disappear for North Africa is going to matter as they would have to make it to India and Oz to fight you.
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Update Oct 42

The game continues at a great pace with Mike being a formidable and generous opponent.

I have been very lazy in updating the AAR but the key developments summarised below:

1. China- progressing very well. Main assault on Chungking to commence in the next 2 weeks.

2. India- consolidation. Was not prepared to seize empty bases and string my self out. The Allies are massing around Madras.

3. Australia- still hold the West but was eventually forced out of the East coast with relatively light casualties. Digging in hard around PNG.

4. Central Pacific- main action has been here. Repulsed an attempted landing on Midway but unfortunately didn't really make the Allies pay heavily. Baker, Canton and Tarawa are heavily fortified and mined.

Attachments
Status.gif
Status.gif (281.63 KiB) Viewed 151 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Kuriles- base building and fortifying.

Never been a big fan of expanding into the Aleutians. Logistically always found it too hard.

Happy with progress here.

Attachments
Aleutians.gif
Aleutians.gif (265.99 KiB) Viewed 151 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

China- main theatre of action.

Getting ready to assault the beast [:D]

Tough resistance continues from the Chinese forces but they are largely scattered and lacking supplies.

Would like to have this wrapped up by early 43 if possible.

Attachments
China.gif
China.gif (457.11 KiB) Viewed 151 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

India- digging in and waiting for the big assault.

His P38s have been scoring well against my air with high alt sweeps but they are still limited in number.

Keen to fight hard for Calcutta. Ceylon is also heavily fortified.

Attachments
India.gif
India.gif (380.92 KiB) Viewed 151 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

PNG- likely to be the next battle ground.

Worked hard here to build depth into the defensive positions. This should be pretty tough for the Allies to gain a foothold.

Plenty of air and supplies stockpiled here.

Attachments
PNG.gif
PNG.gif (275.36 KiB) Viewed 151 times

Return to “After Action Reports”