Old Games - Play right away.

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

demyansk

Old Games - Play right away.

Post by demyansk »

Check this site out for playing old games. Type in a game or company like "SSG" and it will show the ssg games it has on file. Click on the button in the middle of the screen and it will download the game auto and you can play it right away. The emulator is downloaded auto with the game and it plays. I tried, SSG, Microprose and the games for the most part work. I got the idea from the article on wargamer.com about Korean war games.

https://archive.org/details/softwarelib ... prose&sin=

https://www.wargamer.com/articles/korean-war-games/
Kuokkanen

RE: Old Games - Play right away.

Post by Kuokkanen »

Are those legitimate?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I guess they are
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

I don't think so - will check it out but they don't have permission to host any of those games as far as I am aware.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

I doubt they are legit. I know that Railroad Tycoon is, because you can get it free from 2K games
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

They are definitely not. They do not have the owners permission to host them.

Places like this use the term 'abandonware'. They try to say that because the owners haven't shown any interest in x amount of years then the software is abandoned.

I believe this has no legal standing at all.

However, I have downloaded games that I owned, still do in fact, but will not run in newer versions of Windows.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: sullafelix

However, I have downloaded games that I owned, still do in fact, but will not run in newer versions of Windows.
You could be interested about this
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Legit tends to look like this.

Good Old Games GoG.
https://www.gog.com/

They offer old games, made playable, and not free.

There is no free lunch in software. But often the original owners are not even in existence to complain. It's still someone's property though.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I tried a SSG game but couldn't make it work after the orders for the first unit. I couldn't figure out how to go through all the units on my side, oh well, I have Macarthur's war at home and tried to play it. Can someone try for me and figure out what keys work?
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

There is no free lunch in software. But often the original owners are not even in existence to complain. It's still someone's property though.
Are you talking about SPWAW or Ultima IV or what?

MekWars
Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

My understanding is that this site is recognised as a public library by the state of California. They seem to have some right to provide access to materials for "scholarship and research purposes only". As such accessing their games and other material for research is probably ok, but not just for fun.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

I doubt they are legit. I know that Railroad Tycoon is, because you can get it free from 2K games

Despite what 2K Games says is the original Railroad Tycoon, the game available free is actually Railroad Tycoon Deluxe and not the game offered by Software Library.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

nvm
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.

Return to “General Discussion”