Happy Father's Day 2018

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

MrsWargamer

Happy Father's Day 2018

Post by MrsWargamer »

To be sure, I'm only referring to men deserving of the term Father.

Because sperm only makes you a male parent, and any idiot can become one of those :)

I celebrate 'Father's Day' as a means to celebrate the real men of the world who are real Fathers.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Orm

RE: Happy Father's Day 2018

Post by Orm »

What you say are indeed right and I agree. I do hope you have a similar distinction when it comes to mothers.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

Are the devil in the numbers then he might be right here.

Although that number might be another number as discussed in another thread.

I just noticed it was post 666. [:D]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i always agree with ladies, as i know my place in the world and like a quite life[:D]

so happy fathers day
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Zap

Post by Zap »

[quote]ORIGINAL: Orm

What you say are indeed right and I agree. I do hope you have a similar distinction when it comes to mothers.
[/

Good observation made Orm. There continues to be a men bashing currently in American society. Fathers Day (just like Mothers day) accentuates the positive of Fatherhood. That for me is the only focus necessary for tomorrow. It Fatherhood should be celebrated. In all the years Mothers day arrived. I've never heard a disparaging word about mothers. Mothers love is focused on. Fathers Day, lets celebrate the Fathers love for family.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Well I'm a father to daughters and they know they can wrap me round their little fingers. If there is anything bad to tell then its always a case of tell dad first so he can clear the way with mum. Mum is scary but dad? He's a pushover [:)]

But that's fine, as parents I think we complement each other's strong and weak points - but Mrs W, as a mother, definitely has the harder job, and she does it brilliantly. It's generally easier for dads I think.

So I wake up to Father Day cards and presents (a Tottenham Hotpsur dressing gown is the highlight) then its off out later for the warspite fleet and a nice meal at our favourite restaurant. Then back home and watching the World Cup and (depending on the quality of match) a sleep on the sofa to get over the beer or two at lunch..... yeah its easier for dads [:)].
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Zap
Fathers Day, lets celebrate the Fathers love for family.

Hear hear. [8D] Happy Father's Day for those dads out there. It isn't easy, but it's the most important job in the world as far as I'm concerned.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Well I'm a father to daughters and they know they can wrap me round their little fingers. If there is anything bad to tell then its always a case of tell dad first so he can clear the way with mum. Mum is scary but dad? He's a pushover [:)]

But that's fine, as parents I think we complement each other's strong and weak points - but Mrs W, as a mother, definitely has the harder job, and she does it brilliantly. It's generally easier for dads I think.

So I wake up to Father Day cards and presents (a Tottenham Hotpsur dressing gown is the highlight) then its off out later for the warspite fleet and a nice meal at our favourite restaurant. Then back home and watching the World Cup and (depending on the quality of match) a sleep on the sofa to get over the beer or two at lunch..... yeah its easier for dads [:)].

I've been a stay at home dad for the last few years while Mrs. Chickenboy rakes in the big bucks. You go girl! [&o]

Objectively, I'd say that it's 'easier' on the parents that have a lesser familial workload. In this day and age, that's no longer a slam dunk to be the father. As far as family life goes, we have evolved so that I'm pulling a disproportionately large share of the familial workload, because my wife is generating nearly the entirety of our income. It's not the job I was 'trained' for. But it's what has happened over the years.

So, it's not 'easier' on dads. It's just 'different'. Like moms have experienced for generations, mostly the work is thankless and droll. But it needs to be done and it needs to be done reasonably well. So dads do it.

Hats off to you dads that get it done! [&o]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Yes, that's why I said generally. Times change, roles are often more fluid, more flexible and are moving away from the traditional roles applied to the male and female as society develops.

We can agree to disagree, but from my own personal experiences, generally speaking - from pregnancy, the birth, the early weening, the nursing when sick, the domestic demands etc etc, I would say its easier for males (although they of course are likely to have their own workplace pressures) in the more traditional family set ups.

That in no way diminishes the importance of the male role (and for the avoidance of doubt I am making absolutely no judgement on non-heterosexual relationships) but simply gives due credit to mothers - and certainly the mothers who I have known - and the job they have done (my mum, my wife, my sister, my two mothers in law).

MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Remember guys, dad isn't a pay cheque.

Dad is the person they deal with if they hurt his daughter. And he just might kick their ass.

Dad is the guy that bought you your first baseball glove and taught you to catch.

And to respond to Orm "I do hope you have a similar distinction when it comes to mothers" Darned right.
Yeah, it's not easy going through 9 months of pregnancy and then childbirth. So what. Mother is a status just like father is.
Because even though pregnancy is harder for a female than impregnation is for a man, it still doesn't make you 'mom'.

But today is for Fathers, so enough about Mothers. We had our day in May :)
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Will_L

Post by Will_L »

Gentlemen,
Happy Fathers Day.
was Will_L for a while.
Zap

Post by Zap »

Don't undervalue your effect on the children. Fathers, bring stability, moral and emotional strength, a sense of direction, work ethic, all valuable ingredients for the growing child. Fathers might not think they make a difference. Your child to be complete (character wise) needs the vital formation you give.
Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

ORIGINAL: Zap

Don't undervalue your effect on the children. Fathers, bring stability, moral and emotional strength, a sense of direction, work ethic, all valuable ingredients for the growing child. Fathers might not think they make a difference. Your child to be complete (character wise) needs the vital formation you give.
Very True,

Attachments
fd.jpg
fd.jpg (83.86 KiB) Viewed 61 times
"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Remember guys, dad isn't a pay cheque.

Dad is the person they deal with if they hurt his daughter. And he just might kick their ass.

Dad is the guy that bought you your first baseball glove and taught you to catch.

And to respond to Orm "I do hope you have a similar distinction when it comes to mothers" Darned right.
Yeah, it's not easy going through 9 months of pregnancy and then childbirth. So what. Mother is a status just like father is.
Because even though pregnancy is harder for a female than impregnation is for a man, it still doesn't make you 'mom'.

But today is for Fathers, so enough about Mothers. We had our day in May :)

Yeah, with all due respect, a parent's income and 'putting bread on the table' is a big part of what they do. So, yeah, dad isn't *just* a pay check, but that's an important role for lots of dads. The other roles you ascribe to fatherhood are-IMO-less important than providing. My son can't catch a ball for beans. Doesn't mean I haven't tried and doesn't mean that I don't love him to death. But I probably would kick their ass if they hurt my daughter. [:D]

And Warspite1-there's no question that some aspects of early maternal childbirth (childbirth, breastfeeding, weaning) are more taxing on women's bodies than men's. But because men are inherently unable to give birth or breastfeed naturally, that's kind of a pointless comparative IMO. Beyond that, modern families are increasingly likely to share 'sick kid' duty, domestic chores, etc. It may not be 50:50 in all cases, but it's a whole lot closer than it once was-even 20 years ago.

But, like MrsWargamer said, this isn't about mothers today. Here's to the unsung sacrifices of fathers.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

How is it pointless? Men can't get pregnant and give birth. Women Can. But because of that you say its a pointless comparison. No, the fact that these are biological boundaries does not alter the fact that that aspect is tougher for mothers.

As said, times are changing and roles are more fluid, but from my personal experience, observation of friends and family etc, generally women get the harder job.

I hope my job as a father isn't teaching my little cruisers to catch - because that would be an epic fail on my part [X(][:D]. My offspring get enjoyment from music, dance, acting - they definitely don't trouble the scorers in the sport department [;)]

Ridcully70

Post by Ridcully70 »

I have a lot to thank my father for. He taught me that being an unemployed alcoholic with a penchant for hitting the dog were things I should not be striving for in my life.

Return to “General Discussion”