Notes from a Small Island

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chickenboy

RE: Notes from a Small Island

Post by Chickenboy »

So, if I post here does Canoerebel get an annoying message?
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

How about now? [:'(]
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

10/31/44

Ketoi: I've seen the combat report and I'm about to play the Movie. Major cracks develop today in the Japanese defenses at Ketoi. Will Erik let the base go quietly or will he launch a desperate counterattack or relief mission? I'll be looking for signs of such as I view the Movie, and I'll be considering options for Allied defensive or offensive deployments that might counter an enemy strike.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

10/31/44

Ketoi: The past two turns, Erik has sent MTBs to probe the waters between Ketoi and Shikuka. He knows Allied bombardment TFs and amphib assault TFs are transiting those waters regularly.

Each turn, I send two or three combat TFs south from Shikuka to check for enemy opposition. This is the first engagement to occur.

Attachments
103144Ketoi1.jpg
103144Ketoi1.jpg (201.73 KiB) Viewed 37 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

10/31/44

Ketoi: An unusually effective bombardment.

The bombardment TFs are running a continuous three-day cycle: (1) Alabama TF; (2) Richelieu TF; and (3) Iowa TF.

There is risk, especially when an empty bombardment TF retires to Shikuka to replenish. I try to mix up routes and defenses to keep Erik guessing a bit. Sometimes I move Death Star to cover the retirement. Today, a strong DD TF was set to follow the Alabama TF as it makes it's way to Shikuka.

Attachments
103144Ketoi2.jpg
103144Ketoi2.jpg (148.36 KiB) Viewed 37 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

10/31/44

Ketoi: Effective bombing raid for just 15 Mitchells. Flak was absent or minimal.

Attachments
103144Ketoi3.jpg
103144Ketoi3.jpg (187.55 KiB) Viewed 37 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

10/31/44

Ketoi: The biggest air raid of the day scores well. Flak was minimal.

There will be another half-dozen smaller raids during the course of the day, with minimal results that in the cumulative don't mean a lot.

Attachments
103144Ketoi4.jpg
103144Ketoi4.jpg (144.34 KiB) Viewed 37 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

10/31/44

Ketoi: Well, this one was effective enough to post.

Attachments
103144Ketoi5.jpg
103144Ketoi5.jpg (113.96 KiB) Viewed 37 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

10/31/44

Ketoi: Raw AVs at the start of the Allied deliberate attack.

Attachments
103144Ketoi6.jpg
103144Ketoi6.jpg (221.06 KiB) Viewed 37 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

10/31/44

Ketoi: The attack is effective, though it doesn't touch the three forts. The Japanese defenses are reduced considerably, but I need more combat engineers. Reinforcements should arrive the day after tomorrow.

Attachments
103144Ketoi7.jpg
103144Ketoi7.jpg (262.26 KiB) Viewed 37 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

10/31/44

Ketoi: The main enemy stack withdraws one hex, molested by two small units that I lost track of - they cross the river, provide good intel, and should get destroyed tomorrow.

Note the number of enemy divisions present here.

Attachments
103144Burma1.jpg
103144Burma1.jpg (328.52 KiB) Viewed 37 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

10/31/44

Heroes of Shikuka: The siege of Shikuka produced a hall of fame of ships that fought hard, some sinking and some remaining afloat. CA Astoria went down with guns blazing. CA Boston somehow survived and is holed up at Shikuka with 85% SYS damage. And CL Santa Fe made the break for the West Coast, arriving today at Seattle.

Attachments
103144CLSantaFe.jpg
103144CLSantaFe.jpg (172.25 KiB) Viewed 37 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

10/31/44

Burma: If I'm reading this right, more than a quarter-million Japanese troops are now retreating in Burma. Some of them will be in open terrain for several turns. If weather cooperates, all Allied bombers will target those hexes.

Attachments
103144Burma2.jpg
103144Burma2.jpg (339.21 KiB) Viewed 37 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

10/31/44

Ketoi: If Erik's going to contest Ketoi, he has to do it in the next turn or three. He can do so three ways: (1) try to ram home reinforcements (unlikely); (2) naval assault (possible); (3) aerial assault (most likely and possibly combined with naval assault).

There's nothing on the map that yells, "He's coming." But the fall of Ketoi is a foreboding thing for him - not only for the island, but because it will give me an airfield to help matters (a huge step forward) and allow me to pick off other islands in due course.

The Siege of Shikuka really battered his navy (and is probably the decisive battle of the game), so there is reason for him to play conservatively. But I think the odds are pretty good that he'll try something, possibly as early as tomorrow.

So I'm playing will many different defensive/offensive schemes. I'm leaning towards deploying DS in a way I haven't done before - moving it south - to keep him from counting on my previous pattern of lateral movement. The hardest decision I have is whether to maintain routine traffic of amphibious ships and bombardment TFs or whether to adopt a tighter, circle-the-wagons defensive posture until the situation resolves. But I need those additional troops to assure Ketoi's fate, in my estimation. So key decisions to make.

Attachments
103144Ketoi8.jpg
103144Ketoi8.jpg (535.45 KiB) Viewed 37 times
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

Very, very interesting. I like the Amphib Force HQ usage idea, which adds a lot of flexibility to invasions. I never would have thought of it. If you don't mind showing us the results after landing an unprepped unit (such as the combat engineers) that would be great.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Here's the before screenshot of the largest component of 12th NZ Brigade, 44% prepped and set to land at Ketoi tomorrow. The Amphib Force HQ will be at Ketoi. I'll post an after screenie when I get the next turn.

I can use the reinforcements, but there are two other reasons for cycling in reinforcements every few turns: (1) the LCI(G) gunships are effective in bombardment roles; and (2) the landings provoke a self-destructive auto-bombardment by Japanese artillery.

Attachments
103144Ketoi9.jpg
103144Ketoi9.jpg (162.26 KiB) Viewed 37 times
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I've done this a number of times when bringing in reinforcements - perhaps about ten times now, in two games. Each time, fatigue/disruption of the unit coming ashore is minimal - usually 3/0. Disablements are a bit higher, but modest in comparison to what you'd expect for a unit with low prep. I just did this with a USA RCT at 40% prep landing at Ketoi. Fatigue/disruption were 3/0 and I think disablements were 15-20 combat squads.

If I need reinforcements, and if I have a 100%-prepped amphib HQ present - I'll bring in the reinforcements without hesitation.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Prep time isn't as big an issue since I'm sitting right on the edge of the Home Islands, China and Korea. IE, I don't have alot of island-hopping to do to get where I need to be. I'm pretty much there.

I've heard of a Frank-a and a Frank-b, but I don't think I've heard of a Frank-r. Whatizzit and when is it likely to show up?

Erik is a bit derelict in not having it yet, IMO. I think I had it in late 43 or early 44.

Superior in most of the stats that matter, except in range on the Frank-b. Frank-b has better guns but I didn't grab it in my game because of the altitude/climb/maneuver same-ness.

I really think that using small landing craft and LSTs that will drop off all the troops in one pulse will greatly help reduce losses in a landing unit. Combine it with rocket launching LCIs and it is only better.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

11/1/44

Ketoi: A new day opens with another naval bombardment.

Attachments
110144Ketoi1.jpg
110144Ketoi1.jpg (165.28 KiB) Viewed 37 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

11/1/44

Ketoi: Amphibious landings commence, with 12th NZ Brigade (42% prepped) coming ashore. The landings trigger the enemy shore guns, which results in an exchange of fire that is roughly equally damaging. That comes as a surprise - usually, the LCI(G) gunships really do well in this role.

Attachments
110144Ketoi2.jpg
110144Ketoi2.jpg (90.78 KiB) Viewed 37 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

11/1/44

Ketoi: My experience has been that the presence of a 100%-prepped amphib force HQ allows even poorly-prepped units to come ashore in good condition, always with low fatigue/disruption and measurable but acceptable disablements. This landing looks rougher than I had expected. As the day progresses, with additional landings, the results are similar. I'm positive the amphib force HQ TF is present in the hex, yet these results make me wonder. I'll check that when I open the turn file, and report back.

Attachments
110144Ketoi3.jpg
110144Ketoi3.jpg (68.65 KiB) Viewed 37 times

Return to “After Action Reports”