How bitter is the "Bitter End"?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Kielec

How bitter is the "Bitter End"?

Post by Kielec »

Playing as Axis against normal AI. It's summer 1942. All objectives captured, Soviet army trimmed to under 2M troops and under 3k AFVs.

So, I understand that the "Bitter End" will come at turn 225 (it's turn 59 for me now).

The Question:. Do I need to clear the entire map to stop the AI from sending unprepared units at me? Or is it enough to clear the RR "inlets"?
If I do any of the above, does the "Bitter End" come before turn 225? Or will I be doomed to click "end turn" another hundred something times to see the "Game Over" screen, if there is one? Oh, since this is my first playover, do I get to see the stats of the Soviet side at the end of the game?

Thanks,

K.
Mamluke

RE: How bitter is the "Bitter End"?

Post by Mamluke »

If you wish to see the Soviet side, you can turn off the AI for the Soviets, and click end turn, that way you get to play the Soviets for one turn.

As for the end game, "end screen" its quite anti-climatic, basically the same as a small scenario end screen.

even against the AI, cutting it down bellow 2M men and 3K AFV in just 1942 is quite good, nice job. Are you prepared to march all the way to the Urals? [:)]

I'm not sure, but I think if you secure enough points, the game might give you a Victory.
Kielec

Post by Kielec »

Thanx for the "see the Soviet side" tip, Mamluke.

And yes, I am prepared to walk to the Ural - 3-4 more turns and the rail will cover the centre. I'll have the Southern Ural Mountains, and all of the Chelyabinsk etc. before the mud comes.

Just not sure there is any point in continuing...

K.
Mamluke

Post by Mamluke »

I guess the only thing worth asking is: "what if the Soviets refuse to Surrender even after Moscow, Leningrad and the destruction of the red army?"

the capture of the Urals would be needed, the distances involved are truly insane, from my last games, I add to put about 200 000 men just on anti partisan duty, you will probably need 300 000 or more :)
No idea

Post by No idea »

ORIGINAL: Mamluke

If you wish to see the Soviet side, you can turn off the AI for the Soviets, and click end turn, that way you get to play the Soviets for one turn.

As for the end game, "end screen" its quite anti-climatic, basically the same as a small scenario end screen.

even against the AI, cutting it down bellow 2M men and 3K AFV in just 1942 is quite good, nice job. Are you prepared to march all the way to the Urals? [:)]

I'm not sure, but I think if you secure enough points, the game might give you a Victory.

If you get +290 (or +260, depending on the scenario) points it is an automatic victory. No need to wait until 1945. With those numbers of men and equipment all you have to do is take the Caucasus and march to the Urals. The soviet side cant do anything about it.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Don't think this happens in Bitter End. I think I need to add an instant ending once one side is wiped out.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: morvael

Don't think this happens in Bitter End. I think I need to add an instant ending once one side is wiped out.
Or you capture all of the permanent supply sources [:D]
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
Kielec

Post by Kielec »

Perhaps I was not clear enough in the initial post.
There is this loooong railroad line going along the Eastern edge of the map. Are SU units spawning all along it, or only in some places? Can the AI spawn new units in the deep dark forest in the very NE of the map just as easily? In other words, am I doomed to actually clearing the entire border of the map, or would it be enough to get some key points? And then... is that going to bring the "Bitter End", or will I have to click "end turn" for hours to get to the anticlimatic (Mamluke) end screen(s)?
And again, do I get to see the Soviet side at the end of the game? I'm particularily interested in the generals' statistics. And production ;-)
Kielec

Post by Kielec »

ORIGINAL: morvael

Well, for me it's not really that "the other side is wiped out". Yet. But at 2M- SU troops vs 4,5M just Germans, all I face is logistical issues. How fast and how smart I can move those FBDs. All SU units I encountered during the last 10-12 turns have an attack value of 1, and we are in the summer. Even the Corps don't have more than 3-4k men in them (although an occasional Tank Corps can have 200 AFVs in it, and loose them all as it shatters - no experience etc.) The Soviets still produce quite a lot, and, certainly, get a lot of Land Lease, so they are not "wiped out". I don't think they can do anything to surprise me, though... as long as I can be on the bounce protecting those rail tracks against the Partizans. After clearing the Caucassus (3-5 more turns, so by later August 42), my game will change into a push towards the NE corner, shortening the front considerably (and freeing all of them Rumanians and Italians for RR protection duty). As it is now, it will be just a sensless infantry grind through the heavy woods that may extend well into the 1943. Bitter End indeed.

K.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”