Connect 4 multiplayer game needs you!!

For non-server PBEM games, post here to look for an opponent.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

SparkleyTits

Connect 4 multiplayer game needs you!!

Post by SparkleyTits »

Connect Four Team Game

Signup for a game of War in the East with a team for each side.

There are already two team games going on, and there have been others in the past. This team game is in response to new players wanting a team game focused on them. While each team can have a more experienced player for overall co-ordination, "pushing the units" in this game should be for the less experienced. If you are interested please do post here or feel free to PM me. Also feel free to ask any questions if you are unsure.

It is not meant to be a coaching game, although if players are happy to do that that is fine. However it is an opportunity to see how others play from the same side and play collaboratively a side of War in the East. Some things that are easy for a single player game to do are harder for a group, and that is part of the challenge.

As a wargame it should be approached by all in the spirit of fun & learning.

Set Up

PBEM

Campaign 1941-45

Latest public beta version and update at least when steam does

Game options
-fog of war
-random weather
-+1 Soviet bonus
-mild blizzard
-better cv maths
-difficulty normal and levels on 100

House rules
-no suicide mission para drops or naval invasions (e.g. sacrificed to displace airbases or rail repair), such missions should be realistic with a plan to keep them in supply and with relief forces to join them.
-Players must underoperational allowance attempt to reduce and kill pockets and not let them rot indefinitely

Team and Roles

Each team should include
- 3 or more Combat commanders: They must be different people and must not be the Chief of Staff although they can have other roles. They may have specific titles such as geographic areas (e.g. North/Centre/South) or functional (e.g. air).
- 1 Chief of Staff: The Chief of Staff can be only one person and cannot be one of the Combat commanders although they can have other roles. They have the final decision on the allocations to each of the Combat commanders (e.g. units, points, rail cap, manpower, leaders etc.) and their responsibilities (e.g. titles, boundary maps, objectives). This can include protocols on how different players can use the same units during the same turn (e.g. air groups, SUs) etc.
- 1 Team Manager: They can have another role in the team. They makes sure that the save file is with somebody to take their go, that there is no ambiguity whose go it is, and it is not left idle during their sides turn. When a player cannot take their go and there is no way to swap the sequence round for someone else to take their go, the team manager should arrange for someone to cover that players go for that turn. Their aim is for that team's turn to be finished as quickly as possible. They should also actively recruit replacments when a vacancy occurs.

The team optionally can have other team members.

Restrictions
- Only Combat commanders or the Chief of Staff can take a go with the file and move units or conduct air missions.
- The Chief of Staff may not move on map units within 10 hexes of enemy controlled hexes (except rail repair, high command HQs or airbases) towards them.
- The Chief of Staff may not conduct deliberate or hasty attacks with ground units.
- The Chief of Staff may not conduct any air missions except recon, air transfer, send airgroups to or from the national reserve or manually swap their aircraft.
- The Chief of Staff must also decide allocations to ensure all their Combat commanders have the substantial game they expect.
- Ideally anything relevant to only one Combat commander should be left to that commander.
- To start the game each team must have two Combat commanders and one Chief of Staff.
- Once the game has started any joiners must first be announced to existing players with a chance to voice any concerns before they join
- Vacancies remain if a team does not have three Combat commanders and a Chief of Staff
- Teams that opt for more Combat commanders should take care to not unduly increase the length of the game as a result.
- Everybody in both teams should be told who is every member of both teams. Ideally each team should give an outline of which areas each Combat commander covers to all members of the other team.
- When teams have no vacancies and extra roles are not possible for those expressing an interest they will be added to the reserves list and invited to join when the next vacancy occurs.
- A player vacates their place in the game when they notify others, or if they have been incomunicado since their last turn and are not availiable to take their turn when it comes again.
- Any person who has played on one side cannot later play on the other side
- Any person with the game password or confidential game information should keep this confidential to only the players on the side they are or were in.
- All players including cheif of staff may remove partisans from the map
- Cheif of staff may remove partisans from the map

Experience from other team games is the starting line up of players is unlikely to be the line up at the end. Replacements does mean that the team game can continue, unlike solo games, if someone drops out. However it should also mean players who disappear will not hold up the progress of the game.

Sequence of Play

Play consists of each commander taking their go and uploading their save files at the end of their go for the next commander in this sequence
1. Chief of Staff receives end of turn file from opposing team and takes their go at the start
2. Combat commanders take their go in an agreed sequence, if necessary altered by the team manager to make sure there are no idle periods
3. After Combat commanders on a team have finished the Chief of Staff takes a further go at the end
4. The end turn button is pressed for the end of turn save and the result is uploaded for the other side to take their turn

All players should be members of and upload their end of go saves to a single game storage and use a common file name schema (e.g. "C4 010-Axis.02 S Finished" where C4 is the abbreviated name of the game, 10-Axis would be the turn number-side, .02 the go for that side during the turn, the S would be the letter of their title role and the last part an optional description of their go). Players of the other team will be able to see the progress but not open the files without the password.

Communications

All Combat commanders and Chiefs of Staffs should join a common Discord server and can communicate through it. Each player may make AARs individually or with others. AARs on forums cannot exclude others from viewing them. Game save storage will be in a single Dropbox for both teams.

Future changes

Once the game has started rules can be amended or added to when there is no objection by any of the current players of the game. Rule changes must be posted in a place where all Combat commanders and Chiefs of Staffs can see them. Joiners must be notified of where the updated rules are.

Time: Commitment and Pace

Experience from other team games is that when teams are doing OK each side takes a week to do a turn. The fastest has been less than a day, the longest many weeks. Turns get quicker when there are no team changes, and are likely to be quicker during less intense mud turns say. However even with quick players the multiple handovers do make the game slower. Players will have to accept this, but should endeavour to not unnecessarily lengthen the game and take responsibility not to leave it idle while others wait.

Realitically this means at the start you are only likely to have the save file to take your go for an evening or two every two weeks. You can spend as much or as little time as you like outside of this to think about and plan your go, write AARs, strategise with team members, trashtalk the other side or engage in any other type of role play. But if your only interest is "pushing the units" and you are frustrated by this pace you should not consider this as your main or only game. On the other hand if you are not able to commit to a full on solo game against someone else this could be ideal.

Also this pace, even if it accelerates, means the end of the game will be a long way off. This means it is more suited to someone interested in the tactical play turn by turn, the team colloboration, or even the results by the end of each campaigning season. It may not suit someone whose main interest is in seeing a win or lose screen at the end of 200+ turns. On the other hand it does mean you are not individually obliged to stay with the game until the end. You can just play to the end of a campaigning season or even just a couple of turns to cover between one player leaving and another joining. All that is asked is that you are upfront about your commitment to your team mates and give as much notice of leaving as possible to allow a replacement to be found.

How to join or express interest

Post your intention to join here - you can express a preference for a side or role. If you suggest a role other than North/Centre/South/Air as Combat commander you may want to describe how it would work and why it would be good - but may have to accept the team may not be able to accomodate it. Bear in mind the Combat commander roles are intended for new or less experienced players. If you are not that please do not ask for those roles. If you are unsure or still considering it do feel free to post so here or PM me. Feel free also to ask any questions.
SparkleyTits

RE: Connect 4 multiplayer game needs you!!

Post by SparkleyTits »

We have now got a full Soviet team to start, however the Axis team would want to get at least one extra player for the position of North commander. Ideally we would like a very new player for the position of Axis north to balance experience levels on each side.

I will be the chief of Staff for the Soviet team and I have asked Telemecus to be the Chief of Staff for the Axis team.

The Axis team would also like to recruit someone to be an air commander. Chief of Staffs are not allowed to be air commanders, but Telemecus has said he is prepared to give lots of time sharing everything he knows about the role with whoever wants to try it. Thus no experience is necessary. However it is not a role that interests many players, so an interest or desire for the role is necessary.

Even if not interested in these roles do tell us if you are interested in taking part in future in the game. Your name will be added to the reserves list and experience with team games is that vacancies frequenly occur. So you will almost certainly be able to join later.
RKhan

Post by RKhan »

Sounds fascinating. If you ever need another Soviet chief for a beginners game count me in.

RKhan
RKhan
elloboloco

Post by elloboloco »

I would be interested in the AGN role but have never done PBEM, only server games. As long as someone can help me get started with that, I'm good to go.
Big AL
oldrocky

Post by oldrocky »

I am a very new player and would like to participate in this interesting concept.

oldrocky
weinsoldner

Post by weinsoldner »

I don’t have a lot of experience and are playing my first two games against a soviet human opponent. Would love to learn and play as part of the axisteam.
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

Looks like we filled up the Axis, excellent! Looking forward to the game.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

I am contacting everyone who posted here or contacted us in the order they came to us until we get a confirmation of North and maybe an air commander too.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

I have been really fascinated lately with the air game in both WITE and WITW and would be interested in taking the role of Axis Air Commander. Not to mention that having a mentor like Telemecus would be a huge plus :D
Cheers,
Xhoel
AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Hi folks, I'm at the point where I can beat the AI, ready to try the real thing, let me know if you need a front commander still, I can play either side.
Part of history is facts. The other part is what we find easier to believe.

Walter Darby Bannard
mrhuggles

Post by mrhuggles »

I'm in a similar place as Elijah, I'm new but would love to know if a spot opens up.
mouse707

Post by mouse707 »

I'm open for a soviet spot for another gamer of this kind
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

Well thanks for all the interest everybody it's really great to know so many new players would like to learn the game you're all on the conscription list and will be drafted in as soon as we get a chance [:)]

Thanks again everybody!
Brusilov

Post by Brusilov »

i'm interested, new to multiplayer but experienced against AI (150+ hours), i can play as soviet if the game hasn't already started!

Return to “Opponents Wanted”