Cut off Soviet cities production

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Kielec

Cut off Soviet cities production

Post by Kielec »

Do the Soviet cities that are cut off from the rest of the SU still contribute their production to the war effort?
If a city is surrounded (besieged) - the factory output still goes to the pool, or what?

After reaching Baku as the Axis, I technically cut off the South Caucasus from the SU - all the Soviet units in and South of the mountains are in the red. But there is still Tbilisi and Batumi with huge production in them (as the Gods of Random would have it dozens of factories got relocated there). Batumi is a port... but I doubt there would be any way for the Soviets to move/convoy the whatever hardware through the Black Sea, then the Mediterranean, an then... to Iran? Vladivostok? What's the score on this one?

Thanks,

K.
Telemecus

RE: Cut off Soviet cities production

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: Kielec

Do the Soviet cities that are cut off from the rest of the SU still contribute their production to the war effort?
If a city is surrounded (besieged) - the factory output still goes to the pool, or what?

After reaching Baku as the Axis, I technically cut off the South Caucasus from the SU - all the Soviet units in and South of the mountains are in the red. But there is still Tbilisi and Batumi with huge production in them (as the Gods of Random would have it dozens of factories got relocated there). Batumi is a port... but I doubt there would be any way for the Soviets to move/convoy the whatever hardware through the Black Sea, then the Mediterranean, an then... to Iran? Vladivostok? What's the score on this one?
Thanks,
K.

In game terms isolated factories still produce and add production to the pools. A feature that should be removed but I guess just got left out of the list to things to do so far.

There were examples of isolated factories still producing aircraft that flew out to other areas, or tanks that were used by forces in a pocket. But as the supply chains broke not only were using up their supply stockpiles but they could not get spare parts for machinery and so on. So the ones I know of were more heroic acts to keep some token production going rather than the full production they have in the game.

Historically the British and the Soviet Union had occupied Iran (then Persia) from that part of the war and used it to transport supplies. In Halder's 1941 war diaries he was already assuming they would be fighting British forces and even Americans in the Caucasus close to the border. So an overland route through Persia to the rest of the Caucasus was possible.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
Kielec

Post by Kielec »

Thanks, Telemecus, for clearing out the gameplay part.

I am aware of the status of Persia during WW2 and its role as the second channel for the Land Lease for SU. But allow me to doubt that (as per my example) the hardware produced in Tbilisi and Batumi could be successfully shipped out of the Black Sea.
1. Who, and with what cargo fleet would do it?
2. What convoy setup could run the gauntlet of the Turkish straits well within the reach of Axis airbases in Rumania, Bulgaria and Grece with any chance of success?

Well, anyway, it's onwards to Tbilisi and Batumi for me!
Aufklaerungs

Post by Aufklaerungs »

ng Baku as the Axis, I technically cut off the South Caucasus from the SU - all the Soviet units in and South of the mountains are in the red. But there is still Tbilisi and Batumi with huge production in them (as the Gods of Random wou

I think there is still a viable overland rail route from Georgia (Tblisi) through Armenia to Persia and Persian/Arabian Gulf (left off map and thus discounted as a supply route).
Aufklärungs

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”