Play mission 9 Fox 2 Seems Very Hard

Command: Northern Inferno is a DLC for Command: Modern Operations. Set in 1975, the Cold War is omnipresent and beneath the veneer of détente the tension between the two superpowers irreversibly escalate towards the ultimate confrontation.

Moderator: MOD_Command

arielchyld

Play mission 9 Fox 2 Seems Very Hard

Post by arielchyld »

I have been playing this series and I have made it to mission 9. I have kept my bases alive and shot down many bomber but I cant seem to even come close to the 800 score required to pass.

This is a end breifimg you can see my losses are very small. (nato side)

It seems way way more difficult then all other missions I have played so far so I am thinking there is something wrong maybe?

my best score has been a 550 played this now over 10 times?

Some input? Is the mission broken? I am having trouble targeting the very specific bomber that give points. Isnt the mission about surviving the attack? I am confused here Please help....

SIDE: Soviet Union
===========================================================

LOSSES:
-------------------------------
9x Su-24 Fencer B
5x Tu-95KM Bear C
4x Tu-128 Fiddler A

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
16x AS-7 Kerry [Kh-23]
14x AA-5 Ash A [R-4R, SARH]
21x AS-3 Kangaroo [Kh-20M, ASM, 800kT Nuclear]
10x Generic Chaff Salvo [4x Cartridges]
7x Generic Flare Salvo [4x Cartridges, Single Spectral]
4x 23mm AM-23 x 2 Burst [50 rnds]
1x AA-5 Ash B [R-4T, IR]
1x 23mm AM-23 x 2 Burst [50 rnds]

SIDE: NATO
===========================================================

LOSSES:
-------------------------------
1x Radar (Type 80 Linesman)
3x Phantom II FGR.2
1x Lightning F.3A

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
95x AIM-7E2 Sparrow III
25x Sea Dart Mod 0
9x Red Top
6x Firestreak
5x AIM-9D Sidewinder

KungPao

RE: Play mission 9 Fox 2 Seems Very Hard

Post by KungPao »

I can see your priority is to shoot down ASM. In order to get 800 point, you have to shoot down enough Tu-95. So, this scenario is not about Defense, it is about offense

Forgot Su-24, lose an EW radar site could be painful, but the RN vessel is good enough to provide EW information.
Expand your Air Patrol Zone 300-400nm away from your base, shoot down those Tu-95 before they got a chance to fire AS-3.
Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?
arielchyld

Post by arielchyld »

This helped I scored 600 points but I am having problems locating the specific bombers. Also why I looks around they are firing missiles at my fighters
arielchyld

Post by arielchyld »

Also what bothers me if you were to play the mission one time pass fail I don't see how you would know which bombers score points... All the enemy units are bombers...you can't exactly fly up and say hi and get a I'd on all those bombers....it seems like a fail on the first try no matter what mission due to the only way to win us trial and error... How do I pick out my targets????
arielchyld

Post by arielchyld »

Well I passed the mission. I still have some reflections.
Where I had trouble was reassigning obvious targets. It became clear which bombers had air to air and which ones where dangerous. However it was hard to micro manage the changes. I do have some usfull things I learned. On emcon I turned off the weapons release on missiles. I also changed everything to engage weapons free air to air. I would say you must have the fighters close to where the bombers route is and I'm not sure on a first time play of the mission anyone would know to be that far right. Two bases the bombers could be coming from. I would say in real life they would want the bases to survive not specific bombers to be shot down. It was a fun mission just seems to be built to need a few trys unless you have magic powers.

Return to “Command: Northern Inferno”