Bacon Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

DasTactic

RE: Bacon Mod

Post by DasTactic »

If Pocus and I have the Caslon reservation issue using RetreatUE but Roger doesn't running vanilla then I assume there must be something different in RetreatUE impacting this. Pocus's report on the Energy Collectors could be a clue. I'll do some checking with RetreatUE vs vanilla.

@Pocus, what faction were you playing in RetreatUE?

As far as the characters getting negative traits is concerned from what I can remember they were supposed to start with a fair number of negatives and then overall progressively get more positive skills as they gain experience. So it was often better to keep a poor governor or leader because of the improvement. Some negatives could still come in but from what I remember they generally got better skills the longer they were around.

------------EDIT--------------
I did a lot of testing and while the design templates are different with 3 energy collectors in vanilla and 1 in RetreatUE it doesn't seem to change the energy issues (although I didn't see usage in battle). The energy collected is about the same.

The vanilla version also had a lot of Caslon reserved at times and this was waiting for freighters. The frustrating thing is wanting to fuel up your military ships while a station has all the fuel you need but it is reserved for freighters. Is there any code that could give military ships (or state ships) priority over the Caslon supplies?
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Das123

------------EDIT--------------
I did a lot of testing and while the design templates are different with 3 energy collectors in vanilla and 1 in RetreatUE it doesn't seem to change the energy issues (although I didn't see usage in battle). The energy collected is about the same.

The vanilla version also had a lot of Caslon reserved at times and this was waiting for freighters. The frustrating thing is wanting to fuel up your military ships while a station has all the fuel you need but it is reserved for freighters. Is there any code that could give military ships (or state ships) priority over the Caslon supplies?

If you are really having fuel issues, ship the bases all together. Make State-run gas miners with some docking bays and place them where you want them. Be sure to issue a nodump command after giving them an order to mine the resource you want. Then just refuel your fleet from them.
Other options include making gas mining stations with more cargo space and researching faster mining and then adding more gas extractors.
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

Version 1.70 released.
Added infrastructure building, ability to configure hyper engines with gravity well mitigation, manual setting of resource resupply level for bases in regards to how many resources they keep in reserve for refits. Also included were some bug fixes.
Pocus

Post by Pocus »

Thanks Roger!
I'm playing the Humans.
I can refuel my military without too much issue, as I have several gas cloud refineries with a lot of caslon in stock. In theory, the civilian sector should not be stalled by caslon, as I have almost half a million in stock. Practically, as they don't move enough of it to planets, it means they have to refuel from the cloud refineries. The same is true for the AIs, each time my manually ordered state freigthers dump 14k caslon onto a planet, most of it is reserved by my allies. It is a bottomless pit of unsatisfied need for caslon currently.

I believe I have the economy to field more state owner freighters and organize convoys to mass unload caslons to my planets now. The problem is that I see a lot of AIs ships clearly out of caslon out there, and they won't have this advantage.

Being a pragmatic, I would say that the easiest and quickest way to minor this vast issue is to first reduce the penalty from being out of gas to having 50% of max speed, no less. Not having fuel should not cripple too much an empire, to start with. And 50% is already hefty.
AGEOD Team
Pocus

Post by Pocus »

I posted the bug report in the other thread, sorry...
AGEOD Team
Pocus

RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended)

Post by Pocus »

Also really a big thanks for this freetrader feature and interface, it can solve bottlenecks.

Here is the bug, in 1.69, but 1.70 crashes same, just wait 4 days and you'll get it.
https://we.tl/9zQGgVqsVj
AGEOD Team
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

Version 1.70 is temporarily removed due to a potential crash bug. I will upload a new version 1.70 soon. Until then, if starting a new game use the !nukem command to destroy abandoned ships and you should be fine.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

Version 1.70 Re-uploaded with the crash bug fix. If you downloaded yesterday please re-download. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Pocus

Post by Pocus »

Thanks Roger. Is it a bug linked to my crash?

Also, how easy it is to amend the deployable 'object inspector' on the left. The list of mining facilities soon become useless, as it can't be sorted or filtered. How about adding icons, one per resource, and we could filter on a specific resource, to see where we extract it?
AGEOD Team
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Pocus

Thanks Roger. Is it a bug linked to my crash?

Yes, that was the bug I fixed. Your saved game runs fine now.
Also, how easy it is to amend the deployable 'object inspector' on the left. The list of mining facilities soon become useless, as it can't be sorted or filtered. How about adding icons, one per resource, and we could filter on a specific resource, to see where we extract it?

I've never looked at those panels. I'm afraid I'm not able to make any changes there. Sorry.
Pocus

Post by Pocus »

ok, no worries, I just had to ask [:)]
Something much more humble, I often have trouble predicting how much time a ship will need to reach its destination. Adding an ETA for the next order (if a move) would be nice. Or at least the distance, and I'll do the math.

AGEOD Team
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Pocus

ok, no worries, I just had to ask [:)]
Something much more humble, I often have trouble predicting how much time a ship will need to reach its destination. Adding an ETA for the next order (if a move) would be nice. Or at least the distance, and I'll do the math.

Distance is already in there but is undocumented. It's something I use for testing. Select a ship and mark it as the fighter targrt (Alt-4). Then select something that you want to know the distance from that and press Ctrl-D. If the game is paused you will see the distance as a popup. If the game is running you will see it as a scrolling message.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

I'm getting this out of memory error when I try to talk to various races in diplomacy. Not sure if this from the Bacon Mod or not. I can reproduce it by flicking from screen to screen in diplomacy with any of the factions.

RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

I'm getting this out of memory error when I try to talk to various races in diplomacy. Not sure if this from the Bacon Mod or not. I can reproduce it by flicking from screen to screen in diplomacy with any of the factions.

To be clear, this is when clicking through the different empires and not when clicking the talk to button, right? If so, the only change I made in this area was to improve the background colors to make the text a bit more readable. The chaing the Shadow setting in the BaconSettings.txt to
Shadow=true

This will restore the barely readable default colors. If you are playing with many races maybe you hit some sort of limit.

If that doesn't work you can also try replacing the Bacon-modified exe with the original one and see if the error goes away.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

I tried a few things and recorded the process if that helps...

Bacon Mod Bug Report

It seems the TradeEverything flag was the issue.
Pocus

Post by Pocus »

@Roger ... About Free Traders (best feature ever to fix infuriating shortages). I'm trying to use a few as they are also intended, i.e real trading.
First, can it be assumed that the cost of a resource is in inverse proportion to its availability (if a world has a lot of Caslon, it is cheap there, etc.). If not, what are the factors?

Second, I have my home world with negative prices on purchase (me purchasing). Is it a bug? Or just to tell me they refuse selling to me?

--
unrelated: Helium is not part of the basic bundle for stations, i.e the 50 or 25 added as the tiny reserve for upgrade. It means that each time you do an upgrade requiring some Helium, you get a shortage.
AGEOD Team
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

I tried a few things and recorded the process if that helps...

Bacon Mod Bug Report

It seems the TradeEverything flag was the issue.

Hi Das. I watched the video. I'm glad you got it working. Even if you have to disable 'TradeEverything' you can still assign specific items you own as tradable with Control-T.
It is strange that it gives an error though. Some people reported that screen taking up to 10 minutes to open in large games because they had hundreds of tradable items and no one reported a crash.
In your video I saw that you didn't run the game directly from the exe. Are you using the autorun.exe launcher? I've never done that. Be sure to exit completely out of the game if you change the BaconSettings. Also, always press a key to initialize settings before you do anything. Failing to do so can cause erratic behavior.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

I started uploading a new series today and one of the comments was asking about the numbers showing in the freighters and mining ships section of the purchase ships window. I hadn't realised but this only shows the private sector numbers and not the actual totals of state and private. If the advisor is only using private sector counts then that would explain why the numbers they ask for are so bloated all the time.
Kothyxaan

Post by Kothyxaan »

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

In your video I saw that you didn't run the game directly from the exe. Are you using the autorun.exe launcher? I've never done that. Be sure to exit completely out of the game if you change the BaconSettings. Also, always press a key to initialize settings before you do anything. Failing to do so can cause erratic behavior.

I thought you no longer needed to do the key click before play now. Is it because he is not using the .exe to run the game?
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

I started uploading a new series today and one of the comments was asking about the numbers showing in the freighters and mining ships section of the purchase ships window. I hadn't realised but this only shows the private sector numbers and not the actual totals of state and private. If the advisor is only using private sector counts then that would explain why the numbers they ask for are so bloated all the time.

Advisor decisions are in a part of the game I haven't looked at since I typically run full manual and never see their suggestions. Considering that state ships might not be set on auto and available for the advisor to use its probably a good thing that he doesn't take them into account.

ORIGINAL: Kothyxaan

I thought you no longer needed to do the key click before play now. Is it because he is not using the .exe to run the game?

For awhile you did not. There was an issue I ran into where starting a new game, then going back to the main screen and re-rolling a new galaxy would cause some settings to not be re-initialized so I made the game wait for a key entry to initialize settings. If you are just loading up a saved game and running with it you are probably still good but it never hurts to hit a key right away anyway. I've gotten in to the habit.

Return to “Design and Modding”