Is there any way to change keybindigs?

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Marc1314

Is there any way to change keybindigs?

Post by Marc1314 »

Hi,
I don't see any options to change they keys, is there any other way to reassign some of the key bindings?

Shadrach

RE: Is there any way to change keybindigs?

Post by Shadrach »

At the moment, no. Maybe we will get some option in a possible future patch, but don't get your hopes up...

Best you can do at the moment is use something like AutoHotkey to remap keys.
https://autohotkey.com/
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

ORIGINAL: Shadrach

At the moment, no. Maybe we will get some option in a possible future patch, but don't get your hopes up...

Best you can do at the moment is use something like AutoHotkey to remap keys.
https://autohotkey.com/

This is a great piece of software. You not only can change keybindings, but you can also use a key like <Pause> to toggle suspending the changed bindings, so that you can use keys for their original bindings.

Example, suppose you want to use W A S D for map scrolling, but the W, A, S, D keys might have in-game purposes already in in HOI4. Simple... Set them up for the directional bindings, then if you need an original purpose, just momentarily hit the <Pause> key and the key reverts to whatever purpose HoI4 had originally bound it too. Back to movement control... Just hit <Pause> again.

Best thing about this software. It's FREE!
Member since January 2007 (as Gray_Lensman)

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Computering since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

What I do is usually remap the original commands to other keys, or shift them. So for instance W is Weather, map it to Shift+W. Same with A (Air report) and D (Dig in). Usually these keys are not pressed as much anyway. I also like to move more common keys closer to the left side for easy access, for instance Tab for cycling units. And a hotkey for right-click to avoid unneeded strain on the mouse hand [:D]

By the way these are my AHK setup for TOAW4:
https://pastebin.com/ZJFQyZcX

OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”