Question.

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

stormbringer3

Question.

Post by stormbringer3 »

I owned the previous version of this game and I did like it. I still haven't bought this version. My question is what is the possibility of playing an ahistorical game other than the diplomacy feature? Example is trying to make Italy a lot more of a power than it was in WWII. Alot of games have a basic path, like unit builds to follow, otherwise "you lose."
Thanks for any opinions.
Taxman66

RE: Question.

Post by Taxman66 »

Zero without modding.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
PvtBenjamin

Post by PvtBenjamin »

ORIGINAL: stormbringer3

I owned the previous version of this game and I did like it. I still haven't bought this version. My question is what is the possibility of playing an ahistorical game other than the diplomacy feature? Example is trying to make Italy a lot more of a power than it was in WWII. Alot of games have a basic path, like unit builds to follow, otherwise "you lose."
Thanks for any opinions.

Not in the base game but you can create your own scenario that would accomplish it.
James Taylor

Post by James Taylor »

Actually you can create a stronger Italy but at the cost of your partner Germany.

What you would do is use an Italian unit to garnish the MPPs of conquered countries by taking the capitols of each, thereby causing their surrender.

This strategy is not the usual avenue to victory, but in some lesser form you can make Italy as strong as you'd like.
SeaMonkey
Hairog

Post by Hairog »

You want to explore alternatives, check out World War III 1946 Mod.

I'm also working an mod that let's you explore the main "What Ifs" that historians believe the Axis faced after the fall of France.

1. What if the French fleet fell into Hitler's hands
2. " " There was no Vichy
3. " " Barbarossa was postponed
4. " " Hitler concentrated on the Southern Strategy and goes all out for the oil fields around the Black Sea
5. " " Hitler treated the Ukrainians as Allies against Stalin. (in fact 20% of the troops in Barbarossa were Ukrainian and other persecuted groups of the USSR.
6. " " Hitler gave Rommel the resources he needed in North Africa
7. " " took Gibraltar
8. " " took Malta
9. " " Increased the pace of the introduction of certain "wonder weapons"
A. Me 262 years earlier
B. The Wasserfall V4 SAM
C. AR 123 Jet bomber
10. " " put major pressure on Spain and Turkey to join the Axis
WW III 1946 Books
SC3 EAW WW Three 1946 Mod and Naval Mods
WarPlan and WarPlan Pac Alpha and Be
Guderian1940

Post by Guderian1940 »

The basic game provides for many different strategies. The results will vary depending on your opponents choices as well. You can choose to do all of the choices as described in the 46 mod reply. All in the basic game. It all depends where you spend your money and time. It does take a lot of play to pick up on all the nuances of the game which keeps it interesting if not frustrating.

Your opponent choices do have an impact on your choices and vice a versa. This is the best aspect of the game. The AI will react fairly well but gets confused when you do something different as it follows it's programmed path through the years of the war.

There are things that do not work well but that is part of any game system. There has bee many improvements from the first version.

I think it is well worth the investment in time and expense.
xwormwood

Post by xwormwood »

ORIGINAL: stormbringer3

Thanks for any opinions.

The way you wrote rises the question for me if you really played the previous version(s) of the game. Strategic Command is since ages the perfect game for ahistorical gameplay.
First of all there is the editor, which allows you do change whatever you want to change. But on the other hand, you can give Italy strength simply by letting an Italian unit conquer a minor capital (even if the German units did the main work to conquer the country). The unit (or better: the nation) in the capital will get the plunder and the ressources out of the conquered minor. This way you can let Italy grow stronger and stronger (but you will weaken the Germans this way, of coures).

But rest assured: there is no "single" way to win the game, you are free to use tons of different approaches.
"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

Yes, I have played this game. It's been years since I played it. I've played so many board games and then PC games over the last 50 years that after awhile it's hard to remember exactly what was featured in each game when I haven't played it in a long time. I did find your reply very helpful.

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”