"Executive Orders" - Which game for the final battles?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

RFalvo69

RE: "Executive Orders" - Which game for the final battles?

Post by RFalvo69 »

ORIGINAL: FOARP

Red Storm Rising was by far his best. The Sum of All Fears probably second best but still very good. Executive Orders was certainly a good effort.

To me Executive Orders was a page turner because there is always something going on. The reader, of course, must accept that there are more things happening to Jack Ryan in six months than to fifteen previous Presidents in all their mandates combined [:'(]

Red Storm Rising basically is to wargaming what The Lord of the Rings was for role-playing.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
FOARP

Post by FOARP »

ORIGINAL: Red2112

@FOARP...

Thanks for saving me some time. I was at the beginnign of the book luckly enough. Bought it real cheap so nothing wasted. How´s "Ops Center State of Seige"?. Bought that too some time ago, same deal cheap but haven´t red it yet.

Red

Haven't read it so can't say. Stopped reading Clancy after slogging all the way through the Bear and the Dragon (all 1,100 pages) only to find he'd crammed all the fighting into the last bit of the novel and it was all resolved by a Deux Ex Machina-style ending.

The real pity is that no-one is writing good techno-thrillers nowadays. Those that try over-use certain tropes (enemies effortless defeated through hacking their computers, extremely improbable conflicts like US v EU or a Chinese invasion of the US) and do not write combat that reads realistically. Instead I've been scrapping the barrel of what was written in the 1980s (Red Thrust and Red Army, both written in 1988/89, weren't too bad)
American Front: a Work-in-progress CSA v USA Turtledove mod for SC:WW1 can be seen here.
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

"Steel Beast Pro PE", PE stands for personal edition. The Professional edition is like $3,000, and I think it´s only sold to the army´s!

Red

I did a quick check on Steam: the DCS series (both modern and WWII air combat) can be bought wholesale for about $1,500.

...Then you watch a video where they say that to master a "high-fidelity" airplane you need one year, and how few minds over 30 can really master more than 3-4. Thanks, but I do have a life... [8|]

RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

ORIGINAL: FOARP
Haven't read it so can't say. Stopped reading Clancy after slogging all the way through the Bear and the Dragon (all 1,100 pages) only to find he'd crammed all the fighting into the last bit of the novel and it was all resolved by a Deux Ex Machina-style ending.

Try "Red Rabbit". The good guys fear that there could be an attempt against Pope John Paul II. After 1,000+ pages, the great plot twist arrives: there is an attempt against Pope John Paul II.

The book opens with the Sun rising in the West (really!), "TV video" of the attempt (most famously it was not a special occurrence in the Pope public life, so the Italian television was covering the event with a couple of cameras - none near where the attempt took place) and, even if we are in 1981, there is a veteran of the Falklands campaign.

The rest are streams of consciousness - no, make that "floods" - by Andropov, a KGB spy with a religious crisis, and Jack Ryan doing absolutely nothing (hint: you already know that the Pope will be shot).

I don't know how I managed to read it. I remember that it was a difficult period in my life, so, maybe, my brain was finding solace in the empty nothingness.

demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Thanks Red, for that price, I am buying.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

@demyansk...
Your welcome! Don´t let "Panzer Elite´s" dated graphics fool you, it´s still very hard to beat!

@FOARP...
Thanks! I still have some Frederick Forsyth novels around like "The Odessa File". I find/buy these at secondhand (thrift shops). You might want to try some of his reads.

@RFalvo69...
I know very well how flight sims are, so I know what you mean. First DCS module I learned was the "Kamov/K-50" and it´s 250 page manual. I also spent two years in a acrobatic team with the Aviodev C101. Aside from this, I spent alot of time with other airframes/learning with Prepar3D (iFly B747, Majestic Dash 8/400 etc.). So yes I get your point, but one thing to add is that once you do master one of these airframes, the satisfaction is better then the Rolling Stones! [:D]

When I can I will get into the SAAB Viggen! Talk about hardcore!

Anyhow, here´s last weeks ad-hoc multiplayer session with some SB friends...
As Blue2112, Red was jinx LOL!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-kOSp7sNZY&feature=youtu.be

Red
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

Anyhow, here´s last weeks ad-hoc multiplayer session with some SB friends...
As Blue2112, Red was jinx LOL!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-kOSp7sNZY&feature=youtu.be

Red

How do you control your tank? Joystick + Keyboard or Mouse + KB?

I ask because I'm left handed and the only good joystick available for us is the Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS. I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, and I can see how it is an excellent choice... for the other side. True, I can use it with my left hand, but with pain & delay...

I can say that being left-handed is one of the reaons why I never entered the simulation world in a serious way: no HOTAS on the market for us, for example [8|]

Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Yep, the TH T-16000M is the only one I know that can be used by left-handed. I would say that the T-16000M combo is alright to cover flight/space siming.

I don´t use my joystick for SB, someday I might try it. I love my logitech G13, I can add/edit all the profiles I want on it. So for SB I use the Logitech G13, and the Logitech G502 mouse. I can also map keys to my G502 so with these two Iam pretty happy and it covers my needs. Yeah you never have enough keys, but again with this set up Iam fine.

Red

--
Spelling
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Steel Beast is not as demanding as a flight sim when It comes to control surfaces. Basically because you move your tank/apc with the tipical w,a,s,d keys. You have three speeds which are controled by the "w" key by hitting the same key once for each speed (x3). The rest are views (F1, F2, F3 etc.).

Here´s my basic SB layout on the G13...

Compared to other sims, SB is quite easy once you know it.

Red

RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

Yes, I noticed that many functions on SB use the basic "WASD" layout - and even if I'm still learning I can trundle around and fire away with my mouse without really looking against who...

The only difficult part is learning how to enter manually the range if your laser is damaged. I... cough... will leave that tutorial for last.

Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

@RFalvo69...

Each tank is different, so manual range input may vary. A common technic is to shoot the OPFOR gun sights, thus damage lase. Easier said then done [:D]

Here´s a nice video of the M1A2 done by Mirzayev. He has been our CO in alot of our multiplayer sessions, great guy and knows his stuff!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyjY3a_4now

Red

Return to “General Discussion”