Steel Tigers Progress?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

MrsWargamer

RE: Steel Tigers Progress?

Post by MrsWargamer »

3d is a gimmick the same way CGI is a gimmick.

Even well-done 3d is a gimmick. Frankly, I'm tired of game makers thinking 3d makes a game better.

What makes a good game good is a well thought out design, a well-done execution and not a reliance on gimmicks.

Steel Panthers is a great game. Notice I wrote that as present tense. It still is good. It was that well made.

Steel Tigers is an as yet unproven product. And don't think for a second, that it can't arrive and after all the effort put into it, it can't roll over and die like a useless turd of a game.

Calling it the 'successor' to Steel Panthers is not going to give it a free pass. It will be like every sequel. It might arrive, and after it's opening release, become an embarrassment that everyone simply seeks to deny ever happened.

Or it might truly become legendary.

Steel Panthers is to wargamers, an iconic title. Steel Tigers will have a hard time living up to that. Fans can be cruel.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Zap

Post by Zap »

I'm hoping they don't decide to use large graphics(tanks and such)like we see in panzer corps. Nothing disproportionate to the terrain. That would make me sick to my stomach.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

I will take all the concern here as a good sign as far as interest in Steel Tigers. [8D] I know there are a lot of expectations, and I can't discuss specifics yet, but our aim is to make sure we deliver a new SP that can be with us for the next 10+ years. Quite a lot of our resources are going into this and the game is being worked on by some of the same folks who worked on the original SP and on SPWAW. Our current plan is to start involving the community as soon as we get to alpha and make sure we incorporate community feedback and allow enough time for iterations based on that before we get to beta and release.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
rico21

Post by rico21 »

Fans can be cruel.
More than beta testers? [:D]
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I will take all the concern here as a good sign as far as interest in Steel Tigers. [8D] I know there are a lot of expectations, and I can't discuss specifics yet, but our aim is to make sure we deliver a new SP that can be with us for the next 10+ years. Quite a lot of our resources are going into this and the game is being worked on by some of the same folks who worked on the original SP and on SPWAW. Our current plan is to start involving the community as soon as we get to alpha and make sure we incorporate community feedback and allow enough time for iterations based on that before we get to beta and release.
If end result is Battle Academy with hexes, little more detail and complexity (number of statistics closer or equal to SPWAW and WinSPWW2), and familiar gameplay mechanics (small arms usable against armour for suppression), I'll be happy.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

ORIGINAL: Zap

I'm hoping they don't decide to use large graphics(tanks and such)like we see in panzer corps. Nothing disproportionate to the terrain. That would make me sick to my stomach.
You mean like the original Steel Panthers?
Zap

Post by Zap »

Can you show a screen shot of an example?
rico21

Post by rico21 »

obviously! [:D]

Attachments
index.jpg
index.jpg (11.27 KiB) Viewed 420 times
FOARP

Post by FOARP »

Every so often I load up Steel Panthers 2 for a quick blast - it still stands up very well. Best is to pitch some advanced NATO tanks (Challenger 2s or M1A1s) against much larger numbers of Warsaw Pact T-72s or T-55s and let the slaughter begin!

I hope you keep the wide scope of SP2. I'd love to see something that covers all the armoured combat right from 1918 up to 2018. It should have battles all the way from the first encounter between British Mark IVs and German A7Vs at Villers-Bretoneux in WW1 to the current war in the Ukraine. SP1 was a great game as well, but there's something liberating about all the different weapons-systems and countries you could play with in the longer time-scale of SP2.

SP3 was also worth playing but I preferred the smaller scale of SP1 and SP2, since it meant that the loss of a tank or even a single soldier felt "more important".

Graphically I'd certainly like to have an upgrade and think that 3D could work - but only if it keeps the same feel to the game, with hexes and the tension created by not knowing whether your next shot would kill the enemy. I also really hope the AI gets a lot of love.
American Front: a Work-in-progress CSA v USA Turtledove mod for SC:WW1 can be seen here.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: FOARP

Every so often I load up Steel Panthers 2 for a quick blast - it still stands up very well. Best is to pitch some advanced NATO tanks (Challenger 2s or M1A1s) against much larger numbers of Warsaw Pact T-72s or T-55s and let the slaughter begin!
You could be interested about WinSPMBT (Windows Steel Panthers Main Battle Tank). It is heavily modified version of SP2. They have also modded SP2 for Second World War (or World War 2) and it goes by name of WinSPWW2. Matrix Games has also made its own variation of Steel Panthers called Steel Panthers World at War, though it has some performance issues with multicore processors and Windows 7.
Graphically I'd certainly like to have an upgrade and think that 3D could work - but only if it keeps the same feel to the game, with hexes and the tension created by not knowing whether your next shot would kill the enemy.
Game engine is the same as in Battle Academy series. You can look up that game for reference. Presumably Steel Tigers will have detail and complexity close to Steel Panthers series and hopefully with hexes instead of squares.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
wodin

Post by wodin »

As long as the 3D is to scale I'm OK about it. Things like Panzer Korps with huge tanks isn't my thing at all.
PipFromSlitherine

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen
ORIGINAL: FOARP

You could be interested about WinSPMBT (Windows Steel Panthers Main Battle Tank). It is heavily modified version of SP2. They have also modded SP2 for Second World War (or World War 2) and it goes by name of WinSPWW2. Matrix Games has also made its own variation of Steel Panthers called Steel Panthers World at War, though it has some performance issues with multicore processors and Windows 7.
Graphically I'd certainly like to have an upgrade and think that 3D could work - but only if it keeps the same feel to the game, with hexes and the tension created by not knowing whether your next shot would kill the enemy.
Game engine is the same as in Battle Academy series. You can look up that game for reference. Presumably Steel Tigers will have detail and complexity close to Steel Panthers series and hopefully with hexes instead of squares.
It is not the BA game engine, but a customised flavour of the much more advanced Archon engine.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

It is not the BA game engine, but a customised flavour of the much more advanced Archon engine.
Uuh... I thought Battle Academy was the first game with Archon engine. What is BA's engine called and is it used in other games like maybe Sengoku Jidai and Field of Glory 2?

[edit]
And are there any games made with Archon yet?

MekWars
wodin

Post by wodin »

I cant wait to see it cos so far little Ive seen of anything made with the Archon engine seems to have the detail I imagine many want in STeel Tigers. So can't wait to see what this engine can do. Is it the same engine as Sanctus Reach? As Ive seen requests for that game that apparently aren't possible in engine and the requests are the kinds of thing I'd like to see in ST.

Saying this I think the ARchon engine is being used for the next Close Combat and that looks unlike anything made previously with said engine.
PipFromSlitherine

BA, BA2, P&S etc are all in the prior STUB engine.

Sanctus and FoG2 are both using Archon. CC:TBF and ST (as well as other games) also use Archon. Archon comes in a number of flavours customised for specific game genres.

Cheers

Pip
wodin

Post by wodin »

hmmm well Ive read posts about requested features for Sanctus and reply was the engine couldn't do it..interested to see how this pans out.
PipFromSlitherine

ORIGINAL: wodin

hmmm well Ive read posts about requested features for Sanctus and reply was the engine couldn't do it..interested to see how this pans out.
There are always priorities for where we spend time adding features.

Cheers

Pip
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

BA, BA2, P&S etc are all in the prior STUB engine.

Sanctus and FoG2 are both using Archon. CC:TBF and ST (as well as other games) also use Archon. Archon comes in a number of flavours customised for specific game genres.

Cheers

Pip

This is good news for Steel Tigers.

I still have hopes that one day the BA type of content / atmosphere will make it onto that engine.

I anticipate that Steel Tigers will be awesome and have a database of every type of boot worn from 41 - 45 [:)]

but the story oriented / atmospheric role will not likely be filled by ST. ( I may be wrong on that - but it does not seem to be 2by3 style)

Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
zasgard

Post by zasgard »

So....I'm guessing no updates on this yet?
delastone

Post by delastone »

Is this game dead? First time I heard abotu that game was back in 2015

Return to “General Discussion”