Quick one for you pros

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Viking67

Quick one for you pros

Post by Viking67 »

Do you have to play this game human versus human? Can you get good value against the AI, human versus AI?
Killer B
davidachamberlain

RE: Quick one for you pros

Post by davidachamberlain »

ORIGINAL: Viking67

Do you have to play this game human versus human? Can you get good value against the AI, human versus AI?
There is not an AI player option available at this time.

It can be played with 2 players (or teams) or solitaire (using the rules engine to prevent illegal moves).

There are plans for developing the AI, but I think that is still some time off.

Because of the randomness of initiative, weather, turn ending, US entry, and just plain forgetting to do all of your planned moves, solitaire is still a very effective play option.

Dave
Viking67

Post by Viking67 »

Solitaire... Interesting. I would not have thought that a rewarding option.
Killer B
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

It is. There are a number of solitaire games in the AARs to give wone a feel.

I have played many large wargames solitaire, and most of them without hidden information work.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
davidachamberlain

Post by davidachamberlain »

There is a lot of Fog of War in this game.

This is because there are enough random elements to otherwise screw up a good plan. Ships get sunk. Aircraft get shot down. Land units suffer losses. All as the result of die-rolls. Just the same as when playing a human opponent and eventually from an AI opponent. Strategy is still a key consideration (where to attack, logistics to support the attacks, what your opponent does).

Even when you are on both sides, and things really are not secret, between your ability to be to take risks, successful, and to counter the opposition strategy, the game plays out.

It also affords you with the opportunity to try historical strategy or to counter or revise the strategy to see how it would have turned out.

I have completed several solitaire games now while playing a much longer multiplayer game to game out and test out the strategy on what options are available and how they might play out.

Dave
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

I've done at least a half of dozen AAR's for solitary. My latest, which is still going, is tm.asp?m=4444874

I do have a confession to make about my solitary play. I've played three games against a human opponent, opponents with far superior skill in this game than I have, and I did enjoy and learn a lot. However, getting back to playing solitary I'm having more fun, because I get to play both the aggressor and responder, and feel less guilt, because it's ok to get to the game turn whenever I wish.

But in the end it depends on the type of player you are. Are you are a gamer looking for the challenge of playing the game against another game player? Or, do you enjoy games and books on the subject of the Second World War? If the latter, I dare say you can't find a better simulation of the ENTIRE Second World War than MWiF. I feel history come alive every time I fire up and play MWiF.
Ronnie
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

MWiF is highly suitable for solitaire play, as has been mentioned above. It's a great way to learn the system with little pressure and also to try stuff that you might not risk against a human opponent.

As I've mentioned before, I often introduce an element of randomness by tossing a coin or rolling a die to decide on a course of action. This introduces unpredictability at the planning level; to go with that that occurs at the tactical level.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster

Return to “World in Flames”