YouTube: JRP vs Desert War

Brian Kellys Desert War: 1940-42 captures the drama of the campaign for North Africa during World War II.
bcgames

YouTube: JRP vs Desert War

Post by bcgames »

Jason Pratt on Desert War...

I watch every episode. It's good to watch someone play the game and hear their observations. There are good lessons on how to play and better lessons on how to improve the game design. Tune in! Chime in! Make the game better.

JRP vs Desert War 1940-1942 Ep 0
https://youtu.be/bVEL-cdxSzw

JRP vs Desert War 1940-1942 Ep 1
https://youtu.be/vS8sJdMz2Hg

JRP vs Desert War 1940-1942 Ep 2
https://youtu.be/mRlPtI1aPBU

Bradley62

RE: YouTube: JRP vs Desert War

Post by Bradley62 »

Indeed. So much better than what we've been getting.
JasonPratt

Post by JasonPratt »

I appreciate the compliments, thanks! -- a new one on the way this weekend (Day 3 of Op E). I just finished recording the 'film' for it (and writing most of my script).

I'm trying not to be overly critical, especially since I'm still learning the game and I'm often ignorant. JohnD (bcgames) may himself see things I don't even recognize as problems! But I hope if I'm wrong about details you'll correct me so I don't give an unfair impression about the game.

I will however be having some more... questions... about things... this weekend.
"Pratt creates a real, hard, dirty world that is somehow still fantastical and full of magic and mystery. Daunting, but worthwhile." -- Vanessa Lee for Front Street
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

Jason,

Watching your videos generated fixes in the soon-to-be-released HotFix. Thanks for taking the time to show us what happens when you play.

Question away! We are stuck in a years-old-world where we know how it works...until new eyes say, "No."
ETF

Post by ETF »

Yes, great videos Jason.
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
JasonPratt

Post by JasonPratt »

https://youtu.be/oyt21IeLx6k

The Italians arrive near Sofafi, and my first overall strategic goal may be developing for 'tomorrow'...
"Pratt creates a real, hard, dirty world that is somehow still fantastical and full of magic and mystery. Daunting, but worthwhile." -- Vanessa Lee for Front Street
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

Great to hear comments about "the odd things" that emerge uncensored while playing. Keep 'em coming--we will address them all. Fix, 'splain, or hold in storage for deeper thought...to fix and/or 'splain later.
JasonPratt

Post by JasonPratt »

Well, you explain one odd thing here anyway! tm.asp?m=4471004

I'll keep that explanation in mind to discuss on the next video, with a link in the description back to that thread, too.
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

Two other oddities you mentioned in your video...

* Everybody is a platoon on the unit details panel! That's a bug--fixed in the up-coming patch.
* FOW showing a brigade HQs for the Italians? There is an Italian tank brigade in the Operatione E scenario--the "Carri Armati" Brigade.
JasonPratt

Post by JasonPratt »

ORIGINAL: bcgames

Two other oddities you mentioned in your video...

* Everybody is a platoon on the unit details panel! That's a bug--fixed in the up-coming patch.

Good! -- I was wondering about that one.

* FOW showing a brigade HQs for the Italians? There is an Italian tank brigade in the Operatione E scenario--the "Carri Armati" Brigade.

I don't think I was wondering about that: there's a whole 10th army coming after me, so I figured there was at least one brigade HQ. In fact, the FoW showed me what seemed to be a divisional HQ already, too, and I took a shot at it earlier before it moved away! I fully expect some corps HQ and even an Army HQ to be out there somewhere.

What I was wondering about was why a regimental HQ and a brigade HQ were both able to push supply out 8 movement points. Maybe there is no practical difference between them in the game; but if there is, then if my people think they detect a "regimental" HQ then they should be reporting it capable of only pushing out a regimental HQ's worth of supply, not a brigade's worth. They might be wrong because it isn't a regimental HQ after all, but (if there's an effectual difference between them) they wouldn't think a regimental HQ would be as powerful as a brigade HQ.
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

Sorry for the delay in responding; I had to view the video again to make sure I understood your point.

Regiment and Brigade HQs are treated the same in the game; there is no practical difference. They represent the echelon of command between division and battalion.

Regiment and Brigade HQs have the same stacking size (1 SP), supply range (8 MPs), and defense factor (2 DF). The Move+ Movement Factor of these HQs depends on whether they are HQs for a leg or parachute infantry unit organization (8 MPs), or a mechanized organization--armor, mech, motor, motorized, etc.--(15 MPs).

There are a few exceptions to the supply range for brigades in later scenarios. IIRC, some Army-level artillery brigades have supply ranges of 12 given their historical lateral dispersal distances behind the front. There are at least two situations involving reconnaissance organizations that are "brigaded" with a supply range of 12 (Axis & Allies in Sidi Rezegh and the Axis in Alam Halfa). This is due to their historical consolidation and lateral dispersal in these scenarios.
JasonPratt

Post by JasonPratt »

After six weeks of real-life distractions, I was finally able to edit and post the episode I filmed 6 weeks ago! [:D]

https://youtu.be/ODRHxU8aChE

This was 'shot' before the first patch arrived, and in fact I forgot to check before setting the upload yesterday whether the patch had arrived while I wasn't looking...

Return to “Desert War 1940 - 1942”