closing Leningrad

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

fritzfarlig

closing Leningrad

Post by fritzfarlig »

how do I close Leningrad ? the ice level is 10

Attachments
leningrad.jpg
leningrad.jpg (283.87 KiB) Viewed 67 times
No idea

RE: closing Leningrad

Post by No idea »

You must close the shore that links with the Ladoga ports.
weinsoldner

Post by weinsoldner »

Does bombing those Ports help?
fritzfarlig

Post by fritzfarlig »

thank you very much, I had a suspicion in that direction
No idea

Post by No idea »

ORIGINAL: weinsoldner

Does bombing those Ports help?

If you manage to damage the ports up to 100% then yes. The effect would be the same. But to do that you need several turns and lots of bombing
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: No idea
If you manage to damage the ports up to 100% then yes. The effect would be the same. But to do that you need several turns and lots of bombing
Level 2 ports only need 51% damage, level 3 ports 67% damage and the level 4 port only needs 76% damage to stop working. The ice levels at the moment however do mean overland supply is possible over Lake Ladoga.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

have to shut down or take osinovets...or take the rest of the soviet ports further to the east.

No idea

Post by No idea »

ORIGINAL: Telemecus
ORIGINAL: No idea
Level 2 ports only need 51% damage, level 3 ports 67% damage and the level 4 port only needs 76% damage to stop working. The ice levels at the moment however do mean overland supply is possible over Lake Ladoga.

Thank you. I wasnt aware of that.
No idea

Post by No idea »

ORIGINAL: chaos45

have to shut down or take osinovets...or take the rest of the soviet ports further to the east.

Not just osinovets. You must take all the coast, because ice 10 levels allows overland supply to get to Leningrad. Even if you took Osinovets and there was no ice, I think some units would get beach supply.
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

The ice levels at the moment however do mean overland supply is possible over Lake Ladoga.

Does this feature actually work?

When frozen, some supply should come via frozen lake: port or no port! Did they actually unload at the port?
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: BrianG
The ice levels at the moment however do mean overland supply is possible over Lake Ladoga.

Does this feature actually work?

When frozen, some supply should come via frozen lake: port or no port! Did they actually unload at the port?

The feature does work in the sense that if there is no working port on the Leningrad side of Lake Ladoga you can trace supply through any land hexes next to Lake Ladoga.

See
tm.asp?m=4395712
tm.asp?m=4440644

I assume, but I am not absolutely sure, that no port is needed on the other side of the lake either - just a supplied land hex next to it.

There is a section in the rules specifically written about tracing supply over Lake Ladoga when it is frozen.

Historically in the film I have seen vehicles and even animal trains with supplies were simply walked over the lake and onto land without the need for any port facilities at all. The Soviet Union even built semi permanent "roads" on the ice for that purpose that literally had no break in them before they linked up to the normal roads on land.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
Aufklaerungs

Post by Aufklaerungs »

Historically in the film I have seen vehicles and even animal trains with supplies were simply walked over the lake and onto land without the need for any port facilities at all. The Soviet Union even built semi permanent "roads" on the ice for that purpose that literally had no break in them before they linked up to the normal roads on land.

Working port is an abstraction for a Soviet logistics base that can receive and store supplies from permanent supply sources/railhead + a consolidation point for all resources needed to build, maintain, secure ice roads and transport supply deliveries. In the case of Leningrad, it also had to process and provide medical care for civilian evacuees.
Aufklärungs
Aufklaerungs

Post by Aufklaerungs »

how do I close Leningrad ? the ice level is 10

You can also simply isolate the three port towns on Lake Ladoga. Isolate towns in the same manner as you would isolate a combat unit (surround or place town out of range for ressupply to an undamaged Soviet railhead hex).
Aufklärungs
fritzfarlig

Post by fritzfarlig »

I do not have good experiences with bombing ports or train stations
  on the whole, bomb something
I do not think it gives any effect

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”