Napoleon 1813

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

veji1

RE: Napoleon 1813

Post by veji1 »

ORIGINAL: Zap

A thread brought back from the dead. But no real news about the game.

There can't be real news about this game, since it's dead. What we can do though is remind younger generations of the concept and how good it could potentially be. Just the tactical battle engine for example was, in terms of concept, the best mashup I could imagine between John Tiller type of tactical battle and Total War type. It was in 99 and still way better than what we saw with Crown of Glory or others.

To me that game should remain a reference point for whichever editor tries to make a napoleonic game again, be it Ageod, Matrix, Slitherine or someone else.

Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I think Norb of Norbsoft fame is doing something simular with a Napoleonic reskin of his Civilwar series?
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

not a reskin, it's an upgraded engine to support Waterloo Campaign era tactics. Plus enhanced maps/graphics, new AI engine, threaded CPU optimisations, multiplayer support etc. From all accounts it is shaping up to be a block buster. Take my money now Norb!
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
con20or

Post by con20or »

Im interested in trying out this old game - i have it in my collectino. Need to try the patches next - but not sure from the readme - do i need to install 1.1 and then each of the subseqnent ones? or can i do 1.1 and then jump to the last one - i.e. is it cumulative.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Try Campaigns on the Danube.
con20or

Post by con20or »

ORIGINAL: altipueri

It looks interesting - and amazingly it has just been patched despite being released in early 2000s!

but

what was different about Napoleon 1813 as far as I know is that it is the only strategy game with a simultaneous/real time campaigns ever made with armies manouvering on roads? Scourge of War Waterloo has one - but primarily as a way to enable the excellent tactical battles. Wargamer 1813 is a strategic, real time campaign. Hearts of Iron and the like move at the region scale.

I've been reading the Shelby Foote anthology on the ACW again and desperate for some army maneuvers.
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

ORIGINAL: con20or
ORIGINAL: altipueri

It looks interesting - and amazingly it has just been patched despite being released in early 2000s!

but

what was different about Napoleon 1813 as far as I know is that it is the only strategy game with a simultaneous/real time campaigns ever made with armies manouvering on roads? Scourge of War Waterloo has one - but primarily as a way to enable the excellent tactical battles. Wargamer 1813 is a strategic, real time campaign. Hearts of Iron and the like move at the region scale.

I've been reading the Shelby Foote anthology on the ACW again and desperate for some army maneuvers.
Napoleon 1813 was a fantastic concept and i wish it was fixed sufficiently before empire interactive went belly up.
1813 will run on windows 10 and i think it even has some of its graphics looking less corrupted then what they were under windows 7 - however even with teh patches, the crashes are still too frequent and in the battles, often after a while everything just stops working - which is the state it was left in after the last sourceforge made patches were done.
there was someone over steam who was interested in trying to fix the crash bugs in the game a while back, but i never heard back from them sadly.
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

i think in recent times the Seven Years War game on steam has been the closest i think to the Napoleon 1813 game in concept and design and it is a pretty good game too and one to get if yuo like the wars in the era of Frederick the Great
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

What I don't get is yet another Tiller game on the Napoleonic Wars just released - Republican Bayonets on the Rhine - pretty much same old, same old. Not to be sarcastic, but these must be easy to knock out, and I would guess "most" people have had enough of them. I sure have. Panzer Battles series is another story though [;)]
con20or

Post by con20or »

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

i think in recent times the Seven Years War game on steam has been the closest i think to the Napoleon 1813 game in concept and design and it is a pretty good game too and one to get if yuo like the wars in the era of Frederick the Great

I bought it when first came out but kept crashing so I uninstalled. Must give it another look.

They've announced a ACW version of this as their next project.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/400470 ... 5668928296
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

ORIGINAL: Rosseau
What I don't get is yet another Tiller game on the Napoleonic Wars just released - Republican Bayonets on the Rhine - pretty much same old, same old.
In a pretty different time, the RBR battles are not as large as the usual 1805 to 1815 battles and many like that there are many smaller "big battles".
Not to be sarcastic, but these must be easy to knock out,
Definite No.
and I would guess "most" people have had enough of them.
Definite No.
TDefender

Post by TDefender »

Yes, a good game indeed but in real time... as already stated in other threads too a decent napoleonic tactical turn based is really longed here...
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

it had some bugs early on as it was fairly complex under the hood, actually it probably had an economics system far more complicated than what was necessary but the dev was pretty involved all teh time and done alot of updates, though i havent played it in a while myself - one those ones i would love to get back to.
this is not to detract from the wonder that is CotD but just that unlike CotD SYW had realtime battles also that seem fairly large enough in scope to capture the full size of the fielded forces, at least thats what i found when trying my hand at the battle of Leuthen.

as for turn based, well - commander napoleon at war just needs a reboot, i cant think of anything else that plays as turnbased and at teh same abstracted level as commander napoleon at war - there are alot of good turnbased napoleonic games though - though as for tactical turn based, well i havent played that brother against brother game but it looked pretty indepth with its gameplay, so something like that perhaps but napoleonic era warfare?
TDefender

Post by TDefender »

Crown of Glory:EE had a decent and interesting tactical component, apart from that we have to come back to JTS titles... so this is the sad situation mate [:(]
FOARP

Post by FOARP »

Yeah, played this game back in the day. On paper it looked awesome: you play Napoleon trying to turn the war around in Central Europe, with marching and counter-marching and real-time battles.

Problem was the AI was just so terrible that it was unplayable. I wish I'd done what I did with Star Wars: Supremacy (AKA Rebellion) and taken it back to the shop and asked for my money back.

I doubt that this will be remade, though, since it so similar to Total War which is sure to revisit the Napoleonic wars at some point.
American Front: a Work-in-progress CSA v USA Turtledove mod for SC:WW1 can be seen here.
operating

Post by operating »

as for turn based, well - commander napoleon at war just needs a reboot, i cant think of anything else that plays as turnbased and at teh same abstracted level as commander napoleon at war - there are alot of good turnbased napoleonic games though - though as for tactical turn based, well i havent played that brother against brother game but it looked pretty indepth with its gameplay, so something like that perhaps but napoleonic era warfare?

Ya, I'd like to see a reboot of CNAW also, or at least up it up to the commander WW I version.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

ORIGINAL: FOARP

Yeah, played this game back in the day. On paper it looked awesome: you play Napoleon trying to turn the war around in Central Europe, with marching and counter-marching and real-time battles.

Problem was the AI was just so terrible that it was unplayable. I wish I'd done what I did with Star Wars: Supremacy (AKA Rebellion) and taken it back to the shop and asked for my money back.

I doubt that this will be remade, though, since it so similar to Total War which is sure to revisit the Napoleonic wars at some point.

the campaign AI was okay for 1813 - in that in playing as napoleon, the allied armies will be spiralling about with their forces, tempting you with battle but eluding constantly - much of what the actual allied strategy was, to tire out napoleons armies with wild goose chases
the battle AI however did not get fixed, and so in the campaign game in a battle the AI will just sit there and wont begin to react at all unless you march up to them yourself. The game however would likely have crashed though before getting so far now. it can still be played in win10 but is likely more unstable, maybe playing it through dxwnd is better, if one is still really willing to play it - there is still some fragments of gameplay in there, if ones nostalgia is strong enough for it.
Alex777

Post by Alex777 »

So much promise, so little execution ... [sigh]
taskforce88

Post by taskforce88 »

Has anyone managed to get the game stable? The open-source updates made it worse for me. No other wargame has ever had all the major towns and roads of Europe on a real-time campaign map allowing the player to carry out proper Napoleonic manoeuvre warfare.
deeter

Post by deeter »

A bold vision coupled with a hopelessly buggy execution. Really disappointing.

Deeter

Return to “General Discussion”