New to CS - Questions

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

Werewolf13

New to CS - Questions

Post by Werewolf13 »

Recently I bought CS:ME - wow - not your typical Tiller game. Very good. Now I'm considering getting JT's Campaign Series with EF, WF and RS all in one pakckage. Pretty good deal.

Questions:

1) CS came out it appears in 2007(?). ME in 2012. I CS significantly different from ME? I ask because ME at first look appears to be a fairly complex wargame. That's not typical for Tiller. One wonders if the 2007 CS is just the little brother of ME.

2) Does the 2007 vs of CS have NATO icons?
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
Jason Petho

RE: New to CS - Questions

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: Werewolf13

Recently I bought CS:ME - wow - not your typical Tiller game. Very good. Now I'm considering getting JT's Campaign Series with EF, WF and RS all in one pakckage. Pretty good deal.

Questions:

1) CS came out it appears in 2007(?). ME in 2012. I CS significantly different from ME? I ask because ME at first look appears to be a fairly complex wargame. That's not typical for Tiller. One wonders if the 2007 CS is just the little brother of ME.

Middle East was originally released in 2015. The latest update (2.00) was released in January 2018. Middle East provides the core engine for our future releases.

The future core games will be released in the following order:

Campaign Series Vietnam 1948-1985
Campaign Series East Front III 1939-1941
Campaign Series West Front II 1939-9141
Campaign Series Pacific Front I 1939-1941
Campaign Series Cold War

Each of the above core games will have DLC's available in the future.

You should be able to find them under the Options menu, if I recall correctly.

Jason Petho

Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

If you have CS Middle East 2.0, it is worth noticing that JTCS has only two 2D views, and the largest is what is now the 2D Extreme Zoom out view. So if you're mainly a 2D player, that's something to keep in mind. If you don't mind playing 3D as well, then it is less of an issue. Up until CS Middle East 1.x the 3D views were the same, only in CS Middle East 2.0 were the 3D views redone as well, with a new 3D Zoom-In view 150% size of the hexes, but with units as they were in JTCS 3D Zoom In View.

There's a good few JTCS videos around in youtube, check them out, including the Tutorials Jason's done, check them out.

Having said all this, JTCS is such a bargain bundle, three original games and all their expansion packs in one, and if that is not enough, there's just a huge number of custom scenarios available for instance at the Blitz Wargaming Club scenario database.
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
athineos

Post by athineos »

If you need some more help learning how to play the game, the JTCS game directory contains a folder with descriptions of all the Bootcamp (beginner) scenarios. Also, the JTCS manual contains a good tutorial to get you started or refresh your memory if you have played the old versions. If you can get hold of the old manuals (pdfs on line) you can find a couple of more excellent tutorials (West front, Rising Sun) as the JTCS has only the EF II tutorial only. My favorite tutorial was the Rising Sun "Storming Wakde Island". I hope you enjoy JTCS. It has an almost unlimited replay value.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Questions:

It's worth mentioning my Tutorial '50 for CSME here at the forum and here.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I have to start playing again. I need another game to get into, burned out on games, sad
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: demyansk

I have to start playing again. I need another game to get into, burned out on games, sad
Same here.. ATM I wish I had 1hr time to play a small scenario LOL. I am more involved in creating tutorials and even there, for TOAW IV and CSME, I am behind! What to do?

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
athineos

Post by athineos »

Sometimes I switch to a totally different game setting (WW II to Strategy Fantasy or SCI FI strategy) to keep me from burning out.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: athineos

Sometimes I switch to a totally different game setting (WW II to Strategy Fantasy or SCI FI strategy) to keep me from burning out.
Same... Rimworld, FTL, or even old C=64 games... memory lane... Gosh, do you recall the Ultima series of the 80s?

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
athineos

Post by athineos »

ULTIMA VII was my favourite in the series. I bought it again from GOG so I can play it on my WIN XP laptop.
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

thanks, fellas. Lots of good information.
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
LesH

Post by LesH »

I used to play Rising Sun Gold and Europe in Flames (combined West Front and East Front II) and even still have the original player's guides sitting right next to me as I type but only just recently saw that we can buy updated versions via Matrix Games but have a question before doing so with the understanding that these games are deprecated and will not be updated again:

The screen shots on the game’s webpage, and as seen in some of the online gameplay that I subsequently searched for, show the pop-down menus and the Info Box as being hard to read due to the old graphics. However, at least one boot camp gameplay (Matrix Campaign Series East Front BOOTCAMP ONE by Jason Petho) shows text of better quality. Any feedback on readability of the key data in the various menus and the Info Box? I would be playing on a wind doze 10 machine and have read the threads in this topic about possible adjustments to deal with potential hurdles and roadblocks.

Thank You in advance for feedback.

I would also be open to any suggestions for newer games that are at least the equivalent of this excellent series and for WWII but so far I have not noticed anything that would be of equal or greater quality of design and content. Obviously, I have not purchased war games since sometime late in the previous millennium so am out of date. I have read of future plans for new core games (East Front III, West Front II, Pacific Front).
Eagle-FZS

Post by Eagle-FZS »

On Windows 10, the Talonsoft Campaign Series games are not running. I still have those on an old Windows XP machine.
At JTCS they have the three games, West Front, East Front II and Rising Sun; with all upgrades (as far as I know) put together and you can select them via a menu. I have the original version 1.0, patched with 1.3 and then 2.02. The game is stable under Windows 10.
There are similar games but for me CS is nothing like it. Since Matrix Games does not do anything to JTCS, the only thing left to do is wait for East Front III, West Front II and Pacific Front.
Dirk Wodrich

LesH

Post by LesH »

Thank You.
terminator

Post by terminator »

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

Not before 1939 ? Not the beginning of the Second Sino-Japanese war (July 7, 1937, to September 2, 1945) ?
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: terminator

Not before 1939 ? Not the beginning of the Second Sino-Japanese war (July 7, 1937, to September 2, 1945) ?

Oh yes, for sure.

Just copy and pasted the dates. [:D]
terminator

Post by terminator »

Jason Petho

Spanish Civil War (17 July 1936 – 1 April 1939) in core game or DLC ?

PS: 9141 is the end of the war ? [;)]
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Do wars ever end?

Ha!

The Spanish Civil War will be a DLC
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: terminator

Jason Petho

Spanish Civil War (17 July 1936 – 1 April 1939) in core game or DLC ?

PS: 9141 is the end of the war ? [;)]
Bon soir Jean!

What about your interest in France's struggle in Indochina and Algeria? I already 'recruited' two of your fellow Frenchmen to assist me in getting more info etc. about the operations in both conflicts?

As for the Spanish Civil War, I only can offer you AARs at my blog.

Cordialement,

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
terminator

Post by terminator »

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

Bon soir Jean!

What about your interest in France's struggle in Indochina and Algeria? I already 'recruited' two of your fellow Frenchmen to assist me in getting more info etc. about the operations in both conflicts?

As for the Spanish Civil War, I only can offer you AARs at my blog.

Cordialement,

Klink, Oberst
Hi Oberst Klink,

I know nothing about these two conflicts (Indochina and Algeria).

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”