Gary Grigsby's War in the East Public Beta Update v1.11.02

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

STEF78

RE: no morale loss

Post by STEF78 »

ORIGINAL: SparkleyTits

Keep in mind it also does the reverse for 41/42
impact isn't the same, average russian morale is low in 41/42 and growing.

One of german key asset in late war is morale of inf units but national morale is declining, thus winning battle is an absolute necessity for axis players.

GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

By reverse I did not mean solely from an axis standpoint I more meant the effects nation wise as late game it will be in Soviet favour while 41-42 it will be in Axis favour

I am guessing that now all skill levels will find 42 Axis easier to be dominant without needing to manage morale as much and also by making it harder for Soviets to gain morale from "held" but from late 42, early 43 I am guessing it would become an ever increasing asset for Soviets?
Icier

Post by Icier »

I think the changes in this update has bought back some of the bugs from earlier patches...for instance 1st pbem turn, the Germans HAVE NOT been able to make any of
the Security regiments to route..the best outcome is a retreat, with that magical zero appearing for combat results..(morvael fixed the bug).
Also, what is the story with HQ Surrounded & out of supply...I probably wrong, but I thought they were now knock out & not that
magical jump to a safe zone.
On turn 2....just tried to upload copy of map no luck..anyway you have to take my word, armored div taking 13th nkvd reg..3 attacks odds of 999.00 to 1 & you
guessed it 3 retreats..not even a rout in sight! Just had 3 boarder security units retreat until they joined together, now impossible to get them to route ..all they do is retreat.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
tomeck48

RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Public Beta Update v1.11.02

Post by tomeck48 »

Not sure I understand this one.

"Reworked “too many attackers” penalty. It will now penalize defenders that have less than 4000 men per adjacent hex occupied by enemy units..."

Is that saying defenders who are adjacent to 3 hexes of enemy units will be penalized if they (the defenders) have fewer than 12,000 men in the hex being attacked?
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Praise morvael for the ability to filter the Air Squadrons according to morale and XP. It save so much micromanagement Time !!

Thank you !!!
Brakes are for cowards !!
MarauderPL

Post by MarauderPL »

The filtering option is a huge boon, I love it with my heart and soul. Additional small quality of life improvement would be if the filtering in "national reserve" list persisted (when assigning air formations to airfields), so that we wouldn't need to tickbox i.e. fighters and fighter bombers every time for each airfield.
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

So playing a new game now....

20 Morale for soviet planes in 1941 seems way to low....before planes wouldnt even commit at morale levels that low...did you change the dice rolls so low morale air units will commit to battle?

It hasnt really been felt yet as many soviet air groups start with 40+ morale but over time those units are going to drop and stop flying. That seems way, way to low.
malyhin1517

Post by malyhin1517 »

What happened to PBEM? Unable to create game! Doesn't ask for a password and doesn't work at all.
Sorry, i use an online translator :(
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

ORIGINAL: chaos45

So playing a new game now....

20 Morale for soviet planes in 1941 seems way to low....before planes wouldnt even commit at morale levels that low...did you change the dice rolls so low morale air units will commit to battle?

It hasnt really been felt yet as many soviet air groups start with 40+ morale but over time those units are going to drop and stop flying. That seems way, way to low.

It's also made sending units to the National Reserve useless in 1941. There are no longer any morale gains when doing so.
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

even in 1942, I doubt soviet planes will fly with morale that low...or a single german fighter will just scare them all away..

I mean you could just remove the soviet airforce from the game until 1943 if you didnt want it in the game.......

I will just call this extremely unrealistic and extremely pro german....in real life one of the main reason the germans couldnt supply stalingrad was soviet fighter interceptions on the supply aircraft...you will never see that with soviet fighters only having a base morale of 20-25 until 1943...absolutely a stupid change.
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

even in 1942, I doubt soviet planes will fly with morale that low...or a single german fighter will just scare them all away..

I mean you could just remove the soviet airforce from the game until 1943 if you didnt want it in the game.......

I will just call this extremely unrealistic and extremely pro german....in real life one of the main reason the germans couldnt supply stalingrad was soviet fighter interceptions on the supply aircraft...you will never see that with soviet fighters only having a base morale of 20-25 until 1943...absolutely a stupid change.

I entirely agree. This ranks up there as one of the worst changes implemented in the history of WiTE. Who in the world is coming up with these ideas? If this is supposed to be progress, I would consider it a personal favor if you would stop patching this game. You've done enough damage already.
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

I entirely agree. This ranks up there as one of the worst changes implemented in the history of WiTE. Who in the world is coming up with these ideas? If this is supposed to be progress, I would consider it a personal favor if you would stop patching this game. You've done enough damage already.

This change stemmed from my game with Dinglir where I used the Soviet air force to limit the German. Then again in another game with another player. After that there were a few other Soviet players taking advantage of the Air system for the Soviets. I do not agree with this change and fought it saying that the Germans have the power to stop such actions of the Soviets. But now we have it in this patch :(.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Horrible, and will likely go on. Not the patches, many could have been done differently.

The remarks, the remarks, the remarks.

I almost deleted this, almost.
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Well Charlie, if it doesn't bother you that a basic game mechanic which has been in place for about six years was gutted without any real community discussion, I don't know what to say. No reason not to post what you did. Like everyone else here, you're entitled to an opinion.
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Doesn't take much to figure the reason for the air changes in our latest patch were the result of the quite ridiculous and gamey air war exploits which have come along fairly recently.

Yes the latest patch, especially the air parts did come "out of the blue"
morvael

Post by morvael »

ORIGINAL: Blubel2
ORIGINAL: STEF78

9. In land battles, in which the attacker lost, there will be no morale changes for either attacker or defender.
Very bad new for the axis player in the late war...

I agree. I think that this will kill the late game.

I'm not so sure. Rarely I had a failed attack in 1944+ with 6-12 rifle corps plus 12-24 support units attacking German divisions all along the front line.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Perhaps early air war Soviet morale needs a revision, usually it's hard to get major change (tying air group morale to national morale instead of single hardcoded value, and fixing bugs related to lack of trained pilots) right on the first try, so any balancing comes after the reports from the field. As you know we are very limited in our tests, since we have a grand total of 0 testers, thus we're limited to spotting issues during AIvAI tests, and air losses weren't so much different from previous version.
morvael

Post by morvael »

ORIGINAL: tomeck48

Not sure I understand this one.

"Reworked “too many attackers” penalty. It will now penalize defenders that have less than 4000 men per adjacent hex occupied by enemy units..."

Is that saying defenders who are adjacent to 3 hexes of enemy units will be penalized if they (the defenders) have fewer than 12,000 men in the hex being attacked?

Yes, they need to cover a very long frontline with few men, resulting in a very porous line. It's mainly to offset Axis superhuman regiments (which were better than full units in killing enemies due to initiative bonus).
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: charlie0311

Doesn't take much to figure the reason for the air changes in our latest patch were the result of the quite ridiculous and gamey air war exploits which have come along fairly recently.

As you know your comment on the recent air war was about my bombing of factories in which you included derogatory personal comments about me. When I challenged you about it you backed down. That would have been a very good place to stop. I hope you will back down here too.

As you know there are many interesting threads here discussing tactics such as strategic bombing and soaking attacks. You are welcome to contribute and make suggestions for future changes. These are not just commonly used tactics but are extensively described in the manual and so intended by the developers - see for example 16.3.3.2 in the manual on strategic bombing. If you do not like this game you are also welcome to make your own house rules for your own game.

As we all know you have made many messages in these forums and in private messages calling many of us cheaters/gamey/reloaders etc. I have to ask your to stop those references to me. I think it is also not cool to make comments about others characters or intentions. Keep it about the game.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

A blatant lie. Not unexpected.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”